Audi Euro Delivery Program Discussion Discussion forum for Audi's Euro Delivery Program - questions & experiences

European Delivery Program Officially Cancelled

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 04:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default European Delivery Program Officially Cancelled

Last edited by Cosmos515; 08-31-2018 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very unhappy about this. Glad I took my Euro delivery last year, but was looking forward to a future opportunity as well. I'm sure we can't change the result, but how should we show our collective disappointment of this cancellation?
The following users liked this post:
hockeymonster (08-23-2021)
Old 08-31-2018, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

That's a shame. Pretty much solidifies my decision to switch brands at this point. I did ED with my 2013 RS5 and this effectively means no more ED for RS cars effective immediately as there is no winter delivery for cars that come stock with summer tires and there is not enough lead time before November to get one in. I suppose with Americas obsession with SUVs and CUVs and them being produced elsewhere more and more the program has lost its appeal, but I hope BMW and Mercedes are not gonna follow the trend. BMW has been making all their X models in the USA for a while, so if they were going to cancel it due to lack of demand it would have probably occurred already. Mercedes also makes many volume sellers in Alabama already. I'm just hoping I'm getting my 2019 C63 S Coupe ED in before Mercedes is getting the same idea. I can't help but think that the diesel scandal aftermath has a lot to do with this. Audi management is now made up of sales guys with a history of cost cutting. Audi is taking a sad direction and after more than a decade of owning Audis I'm looking elsewhere. To answer the above question, I think the best way to state your disappointment is by voting with your wallet.

Last edited by superswiss; 08-31-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-01-2018, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

This is disappointing. I can't imagine that the cost of the program for Audi was that expensive for US customers considering that (I assume) the program will continue for customers in other countries including Europe. Having done it twice I can testify how it builds brand loyalty. So much so that I cannot imagine not having an Audi in my garage
Old 09-02-2018, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Obviously this is bad news for those of us who appreciate the European Delivery program. At the same time, with all of the fines that VW has suffered recently, I'm not completely surprised by it.

Hopefully they'll find a way to recover and bring it back. Like the AudiClubNA link states, this is not the first time the program was canceled.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Here's the text from the article:

Audi European Delivery for American Customers to End This Year

Audi announced to its dealer distribution network this morning that the European Delivery Program will come to an end this year. This program allowed owners to take delivery of their new Audi models at German brand delivery centers in Ingolstadt and Neckarsulm. While delivery will continue at those locations, American buyers will no longer have access to this method of delivery.
Audi’s current European Delivery Program was re-introduced in 2006. The program proved popular amongst enthusiasts seeking to drive their new German automobiles in the country of their origin, and also on the unlimited speed sections of the Autobahn such as the A9 near Ingolstadt. No doubt the program will be sorely missed.

The reasons for the cancellation provided in the dealer communication by Audi of America seem to site globalization of production as the downfall of the current program. With offerings such as Q5 produced in Mexico, and others like the new Q8 being produced in Bratislava, Slovakia alongside the brand’s popular Q7 model, much of the brand’s top sellers would have to be transported first to delivery centers in order to be delivered to their new owners. Given the European Delivery Program Audi models were already sold at a discount, we’re guessing this proved a less than profitable venture for Audi of America. Add to that the potential of looming tariffs on German automobiles and the program was certainly challenged by these market factors.

Also part of the communication, Audi chose to underline that delighting customers, certainly one of the up sides to European delivery, is still incredibly important to the brand. For now, the program will still be open for purchases on eligible models until September 28, with deliveries scheduled through December 14, 2018.

Is this the end of the road for European delivery? For now. Yes. Even still, it’s important to recognize that this isn’t the first time the European Delivery program was canceled. As mentioned above, the program last returned in 2006 and enjoyed a 12-year run. No doubt enthusiasts with intent to drive in their car’s home country are counting the days until a program such as this may make its return.

Linked 2006 Article

Audi of America Announces New European Delivery Program

by George Achorn on 18 October 2006 in Audi News

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. – Audi of America, Inc. announced today its new European Delivery Program for customers in the United States. All Audi models that are sold in the U.S. are eligible for the new delivery program. The European Delivery Program was developed due to growing demand from Audi customers interested in experiencing the Audi brand in Ingolstadt, Germany, the worldwide headquarters of Audi. Customers will take delivery of their Audi at the Audi Forum Ingolstadt, and will receive detailed insight into Audi’s philosophy, views and heritage through a guided tour of Audi’s factory and historical museum.

Customers choosing to participate in the European Delivery Program will receive 15-days of comprehensive vehicle insurance, export license plates and registration, that are valid in all 25 European Union nations as well as non-European Union nations such as Switzerland, Lichtenstein and Monaco. Customers can purchase additional insurance, registration and export license plates for up to 90-days, should they choose to stay in Europe longer than the complimentary 15-days.

When the customer wants to return to the U.S., Audi has 20 locations throughout Europe where the vehicle can be dropped off at.

The Audi European Delivery Program includes the following summary of benefits:

· MSRP less 5% on all qualified models and MSRP less 3% on the Audi A3.

· Comprehensive insurance and export license plates and registration provided by Audi for the first 15-days while traveling in Europe

· Complimentary transportation from Munich airport to one of three four-star hotels recommended by Audi

· Hotel accommodations for one room, one night, with complimentary transportation in the morning to the Audi Forum Ingolstadt

· Available free guided-tour of Audi factory and museum at Audi Forum Ingolstadt

· Complimentary meals through out day provided by the Marché restaurant at the Audi Forum

· Ground transportation of your vehicle from any of the 20 established drop-off locations

· Ocean shipping and marine insurance

· Customs duty and clearance

· European and U.S. wharf charges

· Destination charge for transportation of your vehicle from the Audi vehicle-processing center to your selected Audi Dealer.

· Detailed delivery of vehicle

For more information on the Audi European Delivery Program, please visit www.audiusa.com/experience.com, or visit an authorized Audi dealer.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:29 AM
Permanent S Mode Member

Received 573 Likes on 376 Posts

This is a major bummer. The timing was all wrong for me this year so I couldn't take advantage of it but we were already planning for my wife's next car a few years down the road. Hopefully they will resuscitate it again in time.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

This is really disappointing. I held off on Audi European Delivery earlier this year on a TT RS since they were no longer taking custom color orders for the 2018 model. I could have ordered a 2018 in one of the standard colors and done the delivery this summer but decided to be patient. Now I can't do European Delivery AND still can't order a 2019 model. Buying a new car isn't something I do often (i.e. ever before) and this has me strongly reconsidering where my money will go.

Does anyone know if this applies to Canada as well? I'm technically a Canadian citizen and the rest of my family still lives there, maybe I can go through my home country if it's still available there.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:53 PM
Permanent S Mode Member

Received 573 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam2
Does anyone know if this applies to Canada as well? I'm technically a Canadian citizen and the rest of my family still lives there, maybe I can go through my home country if it's still available there.
Canada didn't have this program last time I checked earlier this year as my family lives there too. I don't know if it ever was available.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by MH62
Canada didn't have this program last time I checked earlier this year as my family lives there too. I don't know if it ever was available.
That's correct. I don't think it was ever available. BMW, Mercedes, Porsche and Volvo offer ED in Canada.