Audi Euro Delivery Program Discussion Discussion forum for Audi's Euro Delivery Program - questions & experiences
View Poll Results: Keep the German tourist plate?
Keep as is
50.00%
Keep, but add frame or something to improve looks
6.25%
Replace with something that fits correctly
6.25%
Lose it + buy the insert w/o the plate spot
37.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

German tourist plates in USA

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by K2audi
Not sure why you did get the motorcycle plates either. We got the long European one for the front and had to get the motorcycle version for the rear.
Hmmm, I would love to have the standard long European plate. That would be an even better souvenir. Which one is standard for Audi ED? Based on pics I've seen, it seems like the smaller motorcycle version is the standard. Is this something you can request? If so, I might contact my ED rep.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alatsacto
Hmmm, I would love to have the standard long European plate. That would be an even better souvenir. Which one is standard for Audi ED? Based on pics I've seen, it seems like the smaller motorcycle version is the standard. Is this something you can request? If so, I might contact my ED rep.
I was told by the ED folks that the motorcycle are the only plates that they offer for the program. Hopefully you have better luck!!
Old 08-02-2013, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Chilt34786
I was told by the ED folks that the motorcycle are the only plates that they offer for the program. Hopefully you have better luck!!
I asked Audi ED about whether I can take the plates as a souvenir and whether I remove them after drop off or they will be given to me after being shipped. I also asked about the type of plate I would receive. I simply asked which type of plate would I receive since I've seen both long and small ones being given out. I told them I prefered the long one.

Their response is listed below, but seems to contradict what others have stated. I'm quite EXCITED!!!

You will receive a temporary long and narrow European license plate. This plate will stay at on the car when you drop it off at port but it will be removed before the vehicle returns to the USA.

Best Regards,

Audi European Delivery
Old 08-02-2013, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Based on their response, are they stating that I can not take it as a souvenir? I remember people on this forum stating that you should take off the plates before dropping off the car. If not, it sounds like they will remove it and you won't get it in the US.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by alatsacto
Based on their response, are they stating that I can not take it as a souvenir? I remember people on this forum stating that you should take off the plates before dropping off the car. If not, it sounds like they will remove it and you won't get it in the US.
Both - front and rear LP required now to present on the car during drop off for transportation purpose.
I never herd about removed LP
before the vehicle returns to the USA
Old 08-03-2013, 05:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The plates are usually removed and discarded during U.S. port preparations. The Munich drop off people told me to leave a note in the car if I wanted them to leave the plates and European highway carnet stickers on the vehicle. I did so, and the car was delivered to me in U.S. with these items still attached. I got the motorcycle plates, which better fit the plate mounts attached to U.S. cars. They are now in a drawer.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by spacey
The plates are usually removed and discarded during U.S. port preparations. The Munich drop off people told me to leave a note in the car if I wanted them to leave the plates and European highway carnet stickers on the vehicle. I did so, and the car was delivered to me in U.S. with these items still attached. I got the motorcycle plates, which better fit the plate mounts attached to U.S. cars. They are now in a drawer.
Just picked up my car yesterday at my dealership in Orlando after dropping off in Zurich on July 23rd. Both front and rear plates were still on the car as we're windshield stickers from Germany and Switzerland. Vests and first aid kit were still in the trunk where I left them upon drop off. Only thing missing is the "fun" of being able to drive on the Autobahn! Will just have to look forward to our next European Delivery!
Old 09-01-2013, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by spacey
See attachment
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ATTENTION.pdf (40.8 KB, 105 views)
Old 09-27-2013, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BMW places the tourist tag on the front and rear of the car with double sided tape. Audi screws the plate onto the front grill, leaving four holes. My wife keeps the tag on the front of her 535i, her choice. I removed the front plate that was screwed into my grill on the S5 and replaced the grill with a black grill with no holes. The local Audi dealer uses some gray plugs to fill in the holes on cars that have the front plate attached.