Audi Euro Delivery Program Discussion Discussion forum for Audi's Euro Delivery Program - questions & experiences

Given these dates... when should i book my ticket?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: That's the 12th. What city are you shipping from?

At this point i'm only planning to go to Berlin, i have a few friends spending time there through December. I don't think I will travel much while in germany, mostly because I will only be there for 5-7 days.

I'm curious which drop off point will result in the quickest shipping back to me in the states. Anyone have any idea?
Old 09-20-2007, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default coming from D.C.

After pickup on Nov. 12, I'm heading to Berechtesgaden, then driving West along the Alpenstrasse toward Garmisch, visiting Mittenwald and other small Bavarian towns on the way. I hope the weather cooperates; the OEM tires on the S6 are performance summer tires, not all seasons, so snow will be a problem. I only have a week. You?
Old 09-20-2007, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Coming from Boston...

Flying into Munich, I would like to fly in the 8th, for pick on friday the 9th, then I'm visiting a few friends in Berlin through the weekend.. (hopefully) Perhaps with a stop in dresden on the way. I have to plan the remaining few days.. I just got my Euro Delivery box in the mail with maps and everything i'm going to look through this weekend.

Otherwise i guess i would have to fly in sunday and pick up the car monday the 12th.

I also only have a week, +/- a day or two.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default photo for AW...

If we do overlap on the 12th, we should arrange to take a photo of us and our cars together and then post it to the AW web page. When I know my schedule on the 12th, I'll post it.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: That's the 12th. What city are you shipping from?

Even the closest city to the port (Bremerhaven)requires shipment via truck and is approximately 2hrs of drive time. I am using Hamburg mainly because it seems like a nice city and shipment by truck to Emden is 2.5 hrs. I originally planned for Munich but that is the furthest point with a drive time of almost 8 hours.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default just a thought, but I would imagine it will not matter much.......

on speeding up shipping times if you drop off in north/Central Europe. As long as it is under a days trucking it should all be at the same time. Whether you drop off in Munich or Hamburg it should be about the same time. We shipped our Q7 out of Munich and a few years earlier we shipped our ED Volvo out of Munich as well (same shipping company does all ED transport, http://www.ehharms.com/) and both vehicles took about the same time.

Other factors will probably come into more play here such as just missing the truck leaving the drop off point, just missing the next ship, holidays and such.

I only say this in case you were considering staying a day longer at a more desirable locationon your ED trip.......no sense to miss out on a days vacation if it may not benefit in a quicker shipping time.

Here is the shipping company that ships the cars over. Ask the person who handles your drop off for the shipping info on what ship will be transporting your cars home. This way you can track it yourself to port (pretty cool actually). It is almost a form a torture knowing where the car is and still not having it.<ul><li><a href="http://www.2wglobal.com/www/WEP/index.jsp">http://www.2wglobal.com/www/WEP/index.jsp</a</li></ul>
Old 09-22-2007, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: photo for AW...

Ok, I'll try to do the same. Sounds like a plan.. Now i need to find a plug transformer to charge my camera... I'll be taking lotttss of pictures to hold me over for the month of shipping.

If you don't mind please email me your plans directly, as i'll likely get them sooner.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Much appreciated K2! Excellent info as always...

Sounds like it's better to just drop off the car in Germany where it's most convenient. Out of curiosity, what was the United States port city for your Q7?

I would think that West Coast destined cars would still come in through the East Coast rather than go through the canal only to come back up through San Diego but not sure how the logistics works.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ours came into San Diego which I believe all W. coast cars do. I have only used.......

Munich as a drop off point but reading what others have written about other Auto Manufacturers ED programs all are pretty convenient but some will take longer than others just due to the cross-land transport times. How long it takes can't be much longer than a few days than others that are closer to ports. Our thoughts were what is an extra few days waiting for the car to arrive as long as were seeing Europe.

Just another thought when droppong your new car off is to take it and get it washed so that any dirt/grime that is on the car already will not sit on it for an additional 6-8 weeks. Volvo asks that you do this for their ED but Audi does not. We did for our Q7 as well just because I'm a little **** about such things and washing off any impurities (especially bird doo) will make sure it will not etch into your brand new car. I also took a few pictures of the car from all different angles right as we dropped it off for my peace of mind, which paid off since when the car arrived their was a new 6 in. scuff mark on the lower body molding of our Q7 that I was able to prove someone other than us did this after we delivered the car for transport.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Cool

Thanks for that shipping link and info.

I'm gonna definitely have to do that.

Quick Reply: Given these dates... when should i book my ticket?