AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi Euro Delivery Program Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-euro-delivery-program-discussion-124/)
-   -   Go this fall or wait for spring of 2019? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-euro-delivery-program-discussion-124/go-fall-wait-spring-2019-a-2953346/)

MH62 07-13-2018 01:18 PM

Go this fall or wait for spring of 2019?

A bit of background: my initial intention about a year ago was to purchase a 2018 S5 SB with European delivery and I was planning a road trip in May-June 2018. But then the Google Earth issue came up and after discussing with my dealer, it made sense for me to wait just a few more months and get the 2019 instead as he was pretty sure orders would be accepted in May-June and I could pick-up the car and travel in August-September. Well, our estimates were all wrong and here we are in July and I can’t order yet but the 2019 order guide is trickling out so there is some movement.

The European Delivery Program folks are suggesting mid-October pick-up at best so I need to decide how late is too late if I want to enjoy this trip or if I should wait for spring. I’m planning a 3-week road trip and don’t mind colder weather but I don’t want to deal with snow and I’m planning a lot of mountain driving. Please take a look at my planned route and if you’ve been through the region or live there, what’s the date this fall that I need to complete this trip by? That would be extremely useful and will help me decide if I go this fall or wait for spring once I start getting firmer dates from Audi.

Road Trip Map

lowjdml 07-13-2018 04:19 PM

Germany requires "winter tires" from November 1st thru Easter. The regulation might have been tightened in 2018 to require tires with the "snowflake" symbol, not just M+S.
Since you're getting a S5, I'd say spring 2019 might be better.

Great looking route!

MH62 07-13-2018 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by lowjdml (Post 25179470)
Germany requires "winter tires" from November 1st thru Easter. The regulation might have been tightened in 2018 to require tires with the "snowflake" symbol, not just M+S.
Since you're getting a S5, I'd say spring 2019 might be better.

Great looking route!

Thanks, I guess I could order ASAP and if I get a pick-up date later than October 1st (which is very likely at this point) than I'll pass on the deal and re-order for May 1st.

chicagoA6 07-19-2018 04:49 AM

I would also postpone until Spring. You have a great route and don't want to be worried about snow/ice. Especially since I see Val Gardena on the route. That time of year almost certain to have snow. We passed over that area last September in a rented S7 (with Summer rubber) and they had snow. The roads where pretty clear, but needed to be really careful when coming around a blind corner

The one route suggestion I would add is after Val Gardena take a jog over to Cinque Torri. Spectacular area. Then if feeling good go to Cortina and head north to Lienz (Austria). From that point head North and you can pass over Grossglockner.

MH62 07-19-2018 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by chicagoA6 (Post 25182188)
I would also postpone until Spring. You have a great route and don't want to be worried about snow/ice. Especially since I see Val Gardena on the route. That time of year almost certain to have snow. We passed over that area last September in a rented S7 (with Summer rubber) and they had snow. The roads where pretty clear, but needed to be really careful when coming around a blind corner

The one route suggestion I would add is after Val Gardena take a jog over to Cinque Torri. Spectacular area. Then if feeling good go to Cortina and head north to Lienz (Austria). From that point head North and you can pass over Grossglockner.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into it. I see that Google maps has moved my route a bit after Val Gardena but my intention was to continue southeast through Corvara so Cinque Torri is real close from there.

My dealer was able to enter an order two days ago so we went ahead and requested a mid-September delivery which is highly unlikely to happen and we're waiting for a response. If they propose anything later than Sept 25th for pick-up, I'll pass and shoot for May 1st next spring.

MH62 07-26-2018 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by chicagoA6 (Post 25182188)
We passed over that area last September in a rented S7...

Hum... Audi has confirmed my vehicle will go into production in October so that kills my EDP plan for this fall but the rental idea intrigues me. I see Sixt has S5 Coupe/Sportback for rent. Are they the same car/engine package we get in the U.S.?

Once Audi releases pricing for the 2019, I could change my order to regular delivery and try to negotiate a price better than the standard EDP 5% and fund my rental with the extra savings and do the same trip in September. I understand I'd loose one hotel night and factory tour entry fee but that's pretty meaningless in the big picture. I would gain time as my new car would be here this fall.

lowjdml 07-26-2018 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by MH62 (Post 25185909)
Hum... Audi has confirmed my vehicle will go into production in October so that kills my EDP plan for this fall but the rental idea intrigues me. I see Sixt has S5 Coupe/Sportback for rent. Are they the same car/engine package we get in the U.S.?

Once Audi releases pricing for the 2019, I could change my order to regular delivery and try to negotiate a price better than the standard EDP 5% and fund my rental with the extra savings and do the same trip in September. I understand I'd loose one hotel night and factory tour entry fee but that's pretty meaningless in the big picture. I would gain time as my new car would be here this fall.

This is definitely a consideration. I see an ED as a 5 to 7 month process. Order your car, allow ~3 months 'til pickup in Germany, drop off in Europe wait ~3 months for delivery to the US.
No harm in asking your dealer if they could arrange a free factory tour since you've purchased a car from them. (It costs Audi almost nothing and it's great customer goodwill.)

bravo659 07-27-2018 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by MH62 (Post 25179377)
A bit of background: my initial intention about a year ago was to purchase a 2018 S5 SB with European delivery and I was planning a road trip in May-June 2018. But then the Google Earth issue came up and after discussing with my dealer, it made sense for me to wait just a few more months and get the 2019 instead as he was pretty sure orders would be accepted in May-June and I could pick-up the car and travel in August-September. Well, our estimates were all wrong and here we are in July and I can’t order yet but the 2019 order guide is trickling out so there is some movement.

The European Delivery Program folks are suggesting mid-October pick-up at best so I need to decide how late is too late if I want to enjoy this trip or if I should wait for spring. I’m planning a 3-week road trip and don’t mind colder weather but I don’t want to deal with snow and I’m planning a lot of mountain driving. Please take a look at my planned route and if you’ve been through the region or live there, what’s the date this fall that I need to complete this trip by? That would be extremely useful and will help me decide if I go this fall or wait for spring once I start getting firmer dates from Audi.

Road Trip Map

That would be a nice road trip in Europe.
So thats your 2-3 weeks then you have reservations to bring the car to the States?
I want to do the same thing which i am planning it for this fall but not so sure with the release dates of the 2019.

MH62 07-27-2018 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by bravo659 (Post 25186514)
So thats your 2-3 weeks then you have reservations to bring the car to the States?

No reservations needed, standard process is to drop the car at one of the Audi approved locations and they take it back to the normal queue from there with the other cars headed to the US.

chicagoA6 07-28-2018 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by MH62 (Post 25185909)

We've rented from Sixt the last 3 years. An AMG E63, S7 and coming up next month a AMG S63 Coupe. I really like Sixt, but keep in mind that not all locations have the same cars. Munich and Zurich have really good selections, but other locations not so much.

Although we've done Euro delivery a couple times. However, sometimes renting is a lot easier and perhaps more fun as you are not stressed about rock chips, break-in procedure and parking issues