Audi Euro Delivery Program Discussion Discussion forum for Audi's Euro Delivery Program - questions & experiences

My Euro delivery experience. "The Perfect Storm"

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 04:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Euro delivery experience. "The Perfect Storm"

My Audi Euro delivery experience. “The Perfect Storm”.

I am sharing my experience not to deter anyone from doing Euro Delivery, but to give people an idea of what one might expect in the way of extra work for yourself and to give remedies to my problems, so you can avoid what happened to me during my experience. I have now done 4 Euro deliveries: 2 with Porsche, 1 Volvo and 1 Audi.

Dealership:

1. Called Dealership #1 (DLR1) to talk to sales manager to ask how familiar they were with Euro delivery, left message. No call back.
2. About 2 weeks later I walked into DLR1 and talked to that sales manager about how familiar they were, he talked a good game and told me he would call Ingolstadt to see if he could order me a car for when I needed it. I asked if he knew Gary W (Euro Delivery) in Virginia. Sales manager never heard of him, will call me when he calls Germany to get an answer.
3. I called Gary the next day to get an answer that 2009 Production was done and I would have to wait till summer (July) to order a 2010 model. The delay from the first Dealer may have me to miss the 2009 production, which resulted in me getting a 2010, Audi deletes the Premium Plus package for 2010, my desired option.
4. 3 weeks later the DLR1 calls to tell me I can’t get a car ordered for 2009 and to call back in the Fall (September).
5. I decided to go to DLR2 to make a deposit and get the process started. After giving them a deposit, they stated they will need to run a credit check because of the Patriot Act (google: Car dealership Patriot act scam), even though I was paying cash. I eventually called them on it and the finance manager admitted wrong doing in their verbage. The veteran car salesman to come get my deposit back if I didn’t liked the way they did business. So I did.
6. A friend that was in the process of Euro delivery in California, said to use his dealership and that they Audi would be able to do a courtesy shipment to a dealership near me. A month after the order was placed, Gary informed me that this is incorrect, it cannot be done. So, now it was a drive back to CO or Transport it. Transport cost was $1000.
7. I had to request the Sales agreement 3 times and it wasn’t provided before my trip to Germany. You need this document on your trip to provide to the Shippers.

Unfortunately, the one negative aspect that stands out for ALL Euro Deliveries is the longer relationship you will have to with a Sales Department. Instead of one day, it turns out to be months. Even though Audi USA does most of the work, the dealership is required to participate (See Dealer resource guide, it states what the Dealership should be doing and when).

Remedy: Read the “The dealer resource guide 2009”. Contact Euro delivery in Virginia via email or phone to see if your model and pick-up time is possible. Then go to a dealer to start the process!

By me missing the 2009 model, Audi USA, deletes “Premium Plus” package from the TTS line. Now, if you want heated seats you need to opt for the 6k package. I wanted 18” wheels with Alcantara, but was forced to pay for these options to get heated seats and Nav, this cost me about $3k. (Please remember that I had to commit to the car before the 2010 order guide was released and the 2010 Pricing was released two and ½ weeks before I was to pick up the car!!!!)

Audi USA sent out gifts and paperwork in a timely manner. Very nice touches relative to other Euro delivery programs I have experienced.

** When the car is being built, request from Audi USA some type of confirmation from the computers that communicate between Germany and the USA of how your car was ordered. This is to avoid any surprises in the way your car may have been made and with/out certain packages/options. Porsche supplies you with a copy of a Monroney label that is required for pick-up, this shows all that is on your car. Unfortunately, Audi doesn’t do this.

Pick-Up

1. We were given a new Delivery person. She had no knowledge of the TTS, Garmin she needed to setup and required items she needed to supply us with for our trip.
Remedy: No need to be rude, but nicely request a seasoned delivery person. Otherwise it will be a waste of your time. You need to learn basics so you can drive off safely. The delivery person is also the person that will need to supply you with Safety vest, First Aid kit and Warning Triangle, all required by law in Europe!

2. My new car was delivered with 26 miles on the odometer (Still no reason provided after asking 3 months ago) The right rear wheel was scratched (3 hours required to replace or take a fix-it form in German back to your dealership within 5 weeks). Left front Caliper had cosmetic production flaws which will result in paint flaking off prematurely (Told warranty will fix it when you get home).

Drop-off

No issues with drop-off. Make an appointment and be on time. It can be a lengthy process with other car owners showing up!

Remedy: Wash your car and take pictures. Take pictures of every angle, underneath as best you can and of each wheels. Take a pic of your odometer for documentation of the miles. Have proper paperwork ready as stated in Euro delivery docs.

Return

My car was “Flagged for inspection” by Customs and then they forgot about that they flagged it. So a one week process turned out to be 4 weeks. No communication between Audi USA/EH harms/Customs. I had to call EH Harms more than a half a dozen times. The West Coast Rep, didn’t feel it important enough to follow-up on my car over the holidays as he didn’t want to bother Customs.

My Dealership never informed me about my car’s arrival, which was unfortunate as I was in California and could have picked it up and inspected the car for damage. Audi USA informed me days later.

My dealership did not do a PDI (Pre-Delivery inspection) upon arrival. They did a recall item and then proceed to fill out part of the PDI, even though they stated they don’t do PDIs on Euro Delivery Cars. The first box on a PDI form is critical. It is a two person check of the car for transport damage. This part of my form was not filled out, but was left in the car (This document eventually saves me, see below.). Since the weather was not good for driving and the dealership didn’t inform me of my cars arrival so I could have conveniently picked it up, I decided to ship the car. I had a friend go check out the car and they said it looked good.

Remedy: Read the Resources guide. It states that Dealerships are required to do a PDI and are paid to do so; they also sign a Dealership Participation agreement, just like you sign a Customer Participation agreement.

The transport company which is known to be the best in the country via word of mouth, had no trucks coming East for 1 ½ weeks, so it was either leave the car on the lot or take it to a holding area, I chose the holding area which would become a problem in the future. The car was driven for 3 miles to get to the holding area.

When the car arrived in CO, it was now 18 days after the car arrived at the dealership. The car was unloaded and I looked it over. I neglected to get on my hands and knees for transportation damage. I signed off on the delivery. I took pictures of the truck/car and the car. Hours later I noticed fluid dripping from the engine area. Upon further inspection I noticed the rocker panels were damaged.

Well, you can only imagine that no one claimed responsibility and now I had my car back 12 weeks after I left it perfectly fine in Munich. Every excuse and blame started flying from everyone. The Dealership/my friend/transport company/me. I was even blamed for causing the damage driving it 2/10th of a mile into my garage. My car sat in the garage for another two weeks with no miles.

The problem started with the Dealership not doing a PDI and marking it on the form. So know one knew if the damage came before it arrived at the dealership. To make a long story short the only things that saved me from paying for damage I didn’t cause was PICTURES OF THE CAR THROUGHOUT THE PROCESS/DEALER RESOURCE GUIDE/PICTURES OF THE ODOMETER. I was asked to send pics of the car at drop off in Munich. I was blamed by the transport company for damaging it on my 2/10th mile drive (Pic of it freshly off-loaded next to truck showed damage).

I understand that many will say that this was extraordinary, not ordinary circumstances, but it all started with misinformation from the dealership (Courtesy Delivery from an out of state dealer) and it only snowballed into the perfect disaster.

The damage was superficial and the fluid was from an external source. The damage was so specific that it could be blamed on transport equipment and not a “Curb”.

The reason this problem was resolved was a result of the pictures I took the entire way, the Dealer resource guide I had access to and luck!

I suggest:

Finding a dealership you trust and feel good about. Better they admit they don’t know much about Euro Delivery, than they pretend they know all about it!

Read Dealer resource guide and understand the process timeline/your responsibilities and dealership responsibilities!

Take an active roll in the entire process. Whether that means calling Audi Euro Delivery or asking for what you want, such as an experienced delivery person at the Forum. Understand that this is a lengthy process and it will take work on your part if you want it to go seamlessly.

Take Pictures

Have a folder of all your paperwork, you may need it.

After experiencing Euro Delivery from several companies. I will now buy my car Stateside and rent a car when I go to Europe.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hey CFGTTS,

I'm very sorry you went through all this in your ED experience. I'm glad everything ended up ok though, even though you went through all that hassle.

I'm also very appreciative of you sharing your experience, especially considering I'm planning on going through an ED myself. There are some good tips there that I'm going to write down and take with me.

Thanks.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, man!
Last 4 yr I spend at list 1-2 hr a day on Bimmerfest. Thare are no post, that I didn't read and/or replay. I personally meet few moderators of ED forum, and share our ED expirince. I never came across anything close, what happen to you.
I already post here, that after reading all that negative posts about Audi SA, plus some personal staff I start thinking to move my Ed to 2011. And if I decided to go with Q5, I will probobly use help of Scott Mitchell, from Sunset Imports. I can see from his posts, that he cares about product he sold and his castomers. And pretty sure that all my calls and questions will be answered. I just hope he will be with Audi in2011.
Very sorry about your Ed expirince. Let's hope next one will be flawless.
Wishing you a good luck!!!

Last edited by TIME89; 01-23-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

The dealer has a big part in the European delivery process .You have to make sure you pick the right one .
So far ,I am very happy with my SA .it's not his first ED.
After, I received my welcome package from the Audi ED team ,I sent an email to my SA asking him a official copy of order form .
Next day , I got it .
I also talked with him about the PDI and definitely do it for every ED car coming back .
Do you have pictures of your damage car ?
Old 01-23-2010, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by patinsd
The dealer has a big part in the European delivery process .You have to make sure you pick the right one .
Well, let's post his name and contact info here!
Old 01-24-2010, 10:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by patinsd
After, I received my welcome package from the Audi ED team ,I sent an email to my SA asking him a official copy of order form .
Next day , I got it .
I also talked with him about the PDI and definitely do it for every ED car coming back .
Do you have pictures of your damage car ?
Dealer is important. But with the shipping delay, this was a lapse decent customer service on the part of EH Harms, which also ships Mercedes/BMW. Unfortunately, Audi USA has no control at this point and had no idea of the port delay as there is no system to monitor it!

Sounds like you are doing your due dilegence and that is good!!!

Here is some pics of the damage. Determined to be superficial, which is good with the TT Alum. space frame.

Do you like the mud/grass that found its way onto my car?!?!?!
Attached Images     
Old 01-24-2010, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CFGTTS
Dealer is important. But with the shipping delay, this was a lapse decent customer service on the part of EH Harms, which also ships Mercedes/BMW. Unfortunately, Audi USA has no control at this point and had no idea of the port delay as there is no system to monitor it!

Sounds like you are doing your due dilegence and that is good!!!

Here is some pics of the damage. Determined to be superficial, which is good with the TT Alum. space frame.

Do you like the mud/grass that found its way onto my car?!?!?!
Mud ,I can understand ,if they unload the car near to a construction site and need to drive on dirty road ,that can happen but grass no way .
Looking at the picture ,all damage look like the result of an improper loading truck and a bad attachement of the car on the truck .
In any way ,this is not acceptable and I am glad you are fighting for it .
Old 01-25-2010, 06:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just make sure to take pics. If it wasn't for an extensive picture story at every point of the cars journey, I would have been in trouble. Therefore take pics!!!!!! ;-)
Old 01-25-2010, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by CFGTTS
Just make sure to take pics. If it wasn't for an extensive picture story at every point of the cars journey, I would have been in trouble. Therefore take pics!!!!!! ;-)
CFGTTS, who is paying for all repairs?
Old 01-25-2010, 04:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Great tips! It definitely would have helped with my last last ED attempt. Hopefully it will help with my next ED attempt.

I definitely agree that ED requires you have an active roll and maintain a relationship with the dealer throughout the process, even if it goes right the first time.

I hope you got everything fixed and paid for.