Audi Euro Delivery Program Discussion Discussion forum for Audi's Euro Delivery Program - questions & experiences

planning my S5 ED!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 10:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default planning my S5 ED!

I ordered my S5 on Saturday, and I'm doing ED! I'm now planning the trip. I can stay 15 days. Here is what I have planned for sure:

Days 1, 2, 3, 4
Stay at the Kempinski hotel. Pick up the car in Ingolstadt. Explore Munich, especially if I make it in time for Oktoberfest. Drive to Graz and visit a friend. Stay with him and explore Vienna and the Weinstrasse district.

After that, I need to decide what to do. I have 11 days left! Here is a tentative plan (click it for the actual Google Maps):

Here is more detail on the stops and timelines:

Day 5
Graz (D) -> Zagreb (E): 2.5hrs
Explore Zagreb for most of the day.
Zagreb (E) -> Pula (F): 3.5hrs
Arrive at Pula at night, sleep.

Day 6
Explore Pula for half the day.
Pula (F) -> Ancona (G): 8hrs
This is a long trip, but should be very scenic along the coast.
Arrive at Ancona at night, sleep.

Day 7
Explore Ancona for most of the day.
Ancona (G) -> Florence (H): 4hrs
Sleep at Florence.

Day 8
Explore Florence, sleep.

Day 9
Florence (H) -> Pisa (I): 1.5hrs
Explore Pisa for a few hours, at least.
Pisa (I) -> Lake Garda (J): 3hrs
Photos at the lake.
Lake Garda (J) -> Milan (K): 1.5hrs
Sleep at Milan.

Day 10
Milan (K) -> Gandria (L): 1hr
Explore Gandria.
Gandria (L) -> Ascona (M): 1hr
Explore Ascona.
Ascona (M) -> Gruyères (N): 3.5hrs
Arrive at Gruyères at night, sleep.

Day 11
Explore Gruyères.
Gruyères (N) -> Zürich (O): 2hrs
Explore Zürich, sleep.

Day 12
Explore Zürich more for half the day.
Zürich (O) -> Amsterdam (P): 7.5hrs
This is a long drive, and I don't know if it is especially scenic. There are obviously many places I could stop along the way (Strasbourg, Stuttgart, Frankfurt, Antwerp, Rotterdam, etc), however, I have not yet researched what I might like to see in this region. I did notice someone on these forums mentioned Eltz Castle, which is on the way and might be worth a stop.

Days 13, 14, 15
Explore Amsterdam.

Some notes and questions:
  • This plan is 2,026 miles, plus driving around at stops. Think this is too far to drive? Has anyone else done a long ED driving trip like this? What are your thoughts?
  • I'd happily go slightly out of my way to take a more scenic route. Eg, I already do this between Pula (F) and Ancona (G), so I can drive closer to the coast. I don't actually know if this is better, but it seems like it should be. Does anyone have experience driving along these routes? Can you point out the best roads to take? I’m envisioning twisty roads along the edge of a cliff with fantastic views, straight out of a car commercial.
  • My goal is to relax and, obviously, take scenic drives between stops at interesting places. Unlike my previous Europe trip, I don’t feel the need to be extremely thorough at each stop. I think a half or full day is enough to walk around a bit, check things out, and have a meal or two. I can stay longer at a few choice stops. What are your opinions on which stops are worthy of a longer/shorter stay?
  • Feel free to suggest additional/alternative points of interest or even a completely different route.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My ED was 1880 ml
Munich - Madrid.

My strategy was drive no more then 3-4 hr a day. In Nice, near Barcelona and Madrid we stay 3 days, Munich - 2.
My recommendation to you:
- check if Zagreb cover by your Audi warranty - if not - skip
- September is a wonderful time in Europe, kids back to school, american tourist is gone. For some big museum - Ufficy Gallery - I would recommended on-line reservation (Google is your friend). It's only 1.5 Euro (was when I was there), but you safe your self at list 2-3 hr in line.
- When make a reservation for your hotel - make sure they have secure parking, or you end up as a owner of M5 on some photo - no wheels in the morning.
- Never left anything inside your car.
- for MIlan - plan 2-4 hr to see Duomo, Gallery and Last Supper - spend more time in Lake Como - 50 min drive from Milan - unless you are shopogolic - one of the best shopping in Europe is there.
- Florence has green zone (like Munich) - if you plan to get hotel in center - make sure you have phone number of the hotel , when Police stop you
- if you will be on east side of Italy Ancona - why not stop at San Marino and try their famous liqueurs.
- Pisa - 2-3 hr max
-Zurich is boring and expensive -4 hr
when I think about anything else - I will edit my post.

I’m envisioning twisty roads along the edge of a cliff with fantastic views, straight out of a car commercial.
- Amalfy cost is what you need - but I will never take my new car south of Rome and inside Rome. NEVER
Hotels Info:

http://www.agriturismosavernano.com/...te-tuscany.htm

Hotel Mario's
Via Faenza 89,
50123 Florence
Italy
+39 (055) 216.801
info@hotelmarios.com

Hotel Il Perlo Panarama
Via Valassina, 180
22021 Bellagio CO
Italy
+39 031950229
info@ilperlo.com
http://www.ilperlo.com/en/hotelaccomodation.htm

http://www.certosadimaggiano.com/eng/Default.aspx

Last edited by TIME89; 05-09-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

from another ED forum
And to answer another question asked over and over, here is my answer. I have a favorite hotel in Munich. It is nowhere near BMW Welt, BUT it is connected to the city via the Strassenbahn and is close to the A8 Autobahn to Salzburg. It is Hotel Schloss Grunwald and is located in the Munich Suburb of Gruenwald. The best thing about this place?? 1 - Downstairs is a Pizzaria 2- Walking distance to the town of Gruenwald 3 - On the banks of the Isar River 4 - FREE WiFi!! 5 - Next door to a local castle

http://www.schlosshotelgruenwald.de/
Zeillerstr. 1
82031 Grünwald bei München
+49 (0) 89-649626-0

90 Euro to 210 Euro

http://www.burgenseite.de/html/gruenwald.html
Burg Grünwald
Zeillerstr. 3
82031 Grünwald bei München
Old 05-09-2011, 10:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TIME89
My ED was 1880 ml Munich - Madrid.

My strategy was drive no more then 3-4 hr a day.
Nice! Did you feel this was too long? Over how many days did you drive this far? How long did you stay at most stops?

I'm looking at about 4 hours of driving per stop, with a couple 8 hour drives. I'm worried this might be too much.

Originally Posted by TIME89
- check if Zagreb cover by your Audi warranty - if not - skip
Hmm, good point. Seems Croatia isn't in the EU, so the insurance might not be good. I emailed europeandeliveryprogram@audi.com per the FAQ, but apparently that address is no longer valid. Is there a new address?

- spend more time in Lake Come - 50 min drive from Milan
Cool, thanks! I modified my route so I drive along the lakes more as I visit Ascona and Gardia. I'll see if I can budget more time to spend there.

- if you will be on east side of Italy Ancona - why not stop at San Marino and try their famous liqueurs.
Ah, nice! I would have driven right past it!

-Zurich is boring and expensive -4 hr
Hmmm, ok. Would you suggest staying the night in Zurich, or somewhere else?

- Amalfy cost is what you need - but I will never take my new car south of Rome and inside Rome. NEVER
Heh, driving is pretty nuts in Rome.

Thanks for all the other info! This is very helpful.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

From my personal experience - instead of Zurich - sleep over in Lucerne.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

ice! Did you feel this was too long? Over how many days did you drive this far? How long did you stay at most stops?
Between France and Spain - was a long time drive, all other time - no more then 3-4 hr. In Europe everything close.
We stay in Munich 2 nights, 1 3 in Nice, 3 in Spain coast, 3 in Madrid - 21 days - 6 with out car.

Forgot to tell you - Sienna is one of our most favorite places in Tuscany - you MUST visit this town.

Last edited by TIME89; 05-09-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Great stuff! Here is my updated route. I added San Marino, Sienna, Lucerne, and Nürburg. How long should I stay in Sienna? Lucerne looks cool. Should I skip Zurich then? Maybe I should just drive through it?

I'm a great driver, but have never gone to the track, so I was weary of the 'Ring. I also don't want to beat a brand new car. I read that for public days it is treated as a public road, so I can go take a reasonably leisurely lap without a whole lot of risk. Super cool, and it breaks up the long drive to Amsterdam.

Keep it coming!

Edit: What about places along the Rhine river?

Last edited by NateS5; 05-09-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by NateS5
Great stuff! Here is my updated route. I added San Marino, Sienna, Lucerne, and Nürburg. How long should I stay in Sienna? Lucerne looks cool. Should I skip Zurich then? Maybe I should just drive through it?

I'm a great driver, but have never gone to the track, so I was weary of the 'Ring. I also don't want to beat a brand new car. I read that for public days it is treated as a public road, so I can go take a reasonably leisurely lap without a whole lot of risk. Super cool, and it breaks up the long drive to Amsterdam.

Keep it coming!

Edit: What about places along the Rhine river?
Venice - 2 days
NH Laguna Palace
Hotel in Venedig Mestre
Viale Ancona, 2. 30172
Venezia Mestre. Venedig Mestre (Italien)
Tel. +39 041 8296111 |
Fax: +39 041 8296112 |
E-Mail: nhlagunapalace@nh-hotels.com

Florence - 2-3 days (including trip to Sienna)
Stay in Florence:
GOLF
VIALE FRATELLI ROSSELLI 56
I-50123 FLOR
ITALY
Private court yard parking place, locked gate. Nearby train station, easy on/off highway. Very good.

OR

FLORENCE
VIALE EUROPA 205
FLORENCE, 50126 ITALY
Hotel Front Desk: +39-055-6571
Hotel Fax: +39-055-6531806

Milan - 1/2 day
Pisa 2 hr
Zurich 3-4 hr if on you way
Vienna 2-3 days

Don't know anything about places along the Rhine river, except Koln
------------
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=36

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...&postcount=115

Last edited by TIME89; 05-09-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

When you rich Parma, instead of turn left - turn right - 60 min drive and you rich Ferrari factory!!!!

Link

Via Abetone Inferiore, 19
41053 Maranello Modena, Italy
0536 949888
ferrari.com‎

Last edited by TIME89; 05-09-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've already been to Venice, so I don't mind missing it.

Thanks for the hotel info, I'll circle back and check it out later, after I've solidified where I'm going.

I've read you can only tour the Ferrari factory if you own one.

Found a Forbes article talking about the best scenic Europe drives. It mentions many places, but check these three out:

Furka Pass
"The pass takes you high over the Alps, past a glacier. It's a narrow road with lots of hairpin bends and often no barriers along the edge, so it's not for the faint hearted. There are also lots of watch points along the way with spectacular views of the mountains."

Cluses to Chamonix
"From Cluses the Route Blanche winds its way up toward the ski resort of Chamonix. As the road climbs you rise up above the snow line. There is one section where the road crosses over a high bridge with the high Alps and Mont Blanc fully in view for the first time."

Geneva to Yvoire
"The journey to the small fishing village with a medieval castle set on Lake Geneva is a 40-minute drive on a straight road along the lakeside with views of the French and Swiss Alps."

These are all the same area! I can hit all three when I go from Ascona/Gardia to Gruyères. It would look like this:

Showing terrain:

L and K are Ascona/Gardia. M is Furka Pass. Chamonix and Cluses are marked on the map. N is Geneve. O is Yvoire. P is Gruyères.

Previously I was coming into the Alps differently (missing Furka Pass) then taking a right at Martigny to get to Gruyères (missing the scenic roads to Cluses and Yvoire):

Think this is a good way to see the Alps? Do you think there will be snow? That would totally ruin it. I don't have exact dates yet, but I expect end of September or early October.

Last edited by NateS5; 05-09-2011 at 01:46 PM.

Quick Reply: planning my S5 ED!