Audi Euro Delivery Program Discussion Discussion forum for Audi's Euro Delivery Program - questions & experiences

Prepaid Data SIM for Audi Connect during ED?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prepaid Data SIM for Audi Connect during ED?

Has anyone purchased a pre-paid data SIM to use Audi Connect while in Europe? I understand the nav system won't be loaded with EU maps, but could I still use Google etc?
Old 01-16-2014, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If all you want with Audi Connect is to use Google Maps, there's no need, because if you order Navi on your ED car, Audi will lend you a portable GPS unit loaded with Euro maps.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Q5forWife
If all you want with Audi Connect is to use Google Maps, there's no need, because if you order Navi on your ED car, Audi will lend you a portable GPS unit loaded with Euro maps.
I can accept that maybe it's a dumb idea - I have a Garmin with EU maps, but POIs and street view from Audi Connect seem like they'd be more up-to-date and useful? Last time I was in Europe it seemed like I could get a prepaid SIM with a gig or two of data for 10-20 Euros and good for a week - which seemed to fit this usage model just fine.

I guess I'm more asking if anyone else tried it and if so whether they thought it worthwhile, just a gimmick, or a waste

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2014, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
Has anyone purchased a pre-paid data SIM to use Audi Connect while in Europe? I understand the nav system won't be loaded with EU maps, but could I still use Google etc?
RS, read the document I send you - they explain in this document that this is not possible.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by TIME89
RS, read the document I send you - they explain in this document that this is not possible.
Well, they say that
"If the customer has ordered Audi Connect, on-board Navigation, Sirius radio or rear seat entertainment systems, these options will not function while the vehicle is in Europe. The Audi Connect SIM card is installed at the US port and the system will not work with international SIM cards."
It seems to me that if the MMI system connects to T-Mobile in the US, then maybe the frequency is wrong for EU, but T-mo's original US frequencies were the EU ones, weren't they?

I'm sorely tempted to grab a prepaid T-mo data SIM if I can find one easily and give it a try... Even if all I get is a wireless hotspot sharing the data SIM to the family's devices that's a win, and they'll all be setup to work when the car arrives in the US
Old 05-13-2014, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Q5forWife
Don't depend solely on the Audi supplied nav. Ours took a dump on day 2. I had brought my Garmi Zumo from my cycle trips in Europe which is rugged and the beat goes on. Of course I will give them a ration of angst at turn in. Also have my iPhone with a Blau SIM card if that fails. 9 driving days remaining.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by HerrK
Don't depend solely on the Audi supplied nav. Ours took a dump on day 2. I had brought my Garmi Zumo from my cycle trips in Europe which is rugged and the beat goes on. Of course I will give them a ration of angst at turn in. Also have my iPhone with a Blau SIM card if that fails. 9 driving days remaining.
Thanks!!! I'm bringing my old Garmin Nuvi also, so we should have two plus smartphones at least What did Audi loan you?

I assume your iPhone is a micro/nano-SIM variant so it's not easy for you to try popping it into your MMI?
Old 05-13-2014, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Sorry about your navy issue, but car rental agency where you drop off has nothing to do with Audi navigation rental.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Don't depend solely on the Audi supplied nav. Ours took a dump on day 2.
We had a few issues with the nice Navi "lady" - she picked interesting routes based on traffic, and I'm not sure they were always wins. As delivered, she beeps every few seconds that you're exceeding the speed limit - but that's an easy menu fix. Worse, she crashed a couple of times, usually due to loose lighter plug but once what appeared to be a hard crash. Disconnecting her from power and holding the power button for 15-20seconds then reconnecting her eventually got her rebooted.

Back on topic I must confess that I never found an opportunity to pick up a prepaid data SIM to try. I wanted to get a T-Mobile one to minimize potential issues - and we saw several places to get them, but none open on Sunday. We might have been able to get one at the airport, but it took us a while to clear customs and we were about the last ones out so our Audi driver looked like he had been about to give up!