Audi Euro Delivery Program Discussion Discussion forum for Audi's Euro Delivery Program - questions & experiences

Prepaid SIM Cards

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Prepaid SIM Cards

Hi can anyone share their experience with prepaid SIM cards for travelling to Germany, Austria, and Switzerland? Last year, we traveled to England and France and had very good success buying prepaid Three and Orange SIM cards from convenience stores. There was some setup involved because we had to register the SIM on the web but that was pretty easy. We were able to get 12GB cards, valid for 30 days for around $30USD.

There's a wiki page for prepaid SIMs here: Germany Prepaid Data SIM Card Wiki but they don't list Three or Orange. Three and Orange cards say they roam into different countries but we'll end up with a UK number -- which isn't too bad but may not be our best option.

I've also heard that it is good to simply wait and get a prepaid SIM card at the Munich airport once we arrive. I'm usually weary of buying things at the airport because it's generally not a good deal.

Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-26-2018, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Smoke
Hi can anyone share their experience with prepaid SIM cards for travelling to Germany, Austria, and Switzerland? Last year, we traveled to England and France and had very good success buying prepaid Three and Orange SIM cards from convenience stores. There was some setup involved because we had to register the SIM on the web but that was pretty easy. We were able to get 12GB cards, valid for 30 days for around $30USD.

There's a wiki page for prepaid SIMs here: Germany Prepaid Data SIM Card Wiki but they don't list Three or Orange. Three and Orange cards say they roam into different countries but we'll end up with a UK number -- which isn't too bad but may not be our best option.

I've also heard that it is good to simply wait and get a prepaid SIM card at the Munich airport once we arrive. I'm usually weary of buying things at the airport because it's generally not a good deal.

Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks in advance!
I lived in Germany for 3 years. I used Lycamobile the whole time in Germany and paid 40 Euros for unlimited call, text and 5GB data per month. I had to pay for roaming whenever I was outside Germany. That might have recently changed though since the EU got rid of roaming charges. I suggest you stop at the first gas station you can find and purchase a SIM card if you're not comfortable buying at the airport. Orange and T-mobile have descent prepaid SIM cards too.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oswalde2000
I lived in Germany for 3 years. I used Lycamobile the whole time in Germany and paid 40 Euros for unlimited call, text and 5GB data per month. I had to pay for roaming whenever I was outside Germany. That might have recently changed though since the EU got rid of roaming charges. I suggest you stop at the first gas station you can find and purchase a SIM card if you're not comfortable buying at the airport. Orange and T-mobile have descent prepaid SIM cards too.
Thanks I'll consider Lycamobile an option.