AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi Euro Delivery Program Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-euro-delivery-program-discussion-124/)
-   -   Pricing Questions (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-euro-delivery-program-discussion-124/pricing-questions-2950290/)

myaudiQ3 05-27-2018 04:29 PM

Pricing Questions

Hello All, I am new to the forum, so I apologize in advance for protocol. I am looking into taking European Delivery in December of a new Q3. A few questions. Please explain pricing. I have built a vehicle that we like, and US MSRP is $37,925. I understand that I can automatically get 5% off that price which is $36,028, but I have to think I can probably do much better than that. In fact when I book the vehicle out on Edmunds, it gives me a True Market Value pricing that I can "in theory' purchase the vehicle domestically for about $35,000. So, I am guessing that if a dealer here in the USA can sell, deliver and make a fair profit utilizing that model, that I should be able to in fact do better and take delivery in Germany. So any thoughts or comments would be appreciated on that. Additionally, I understand that we can pick it up in either Ingolstadt or in Neckarsulm. What do folks here on the forum seem to prefer? I will likely be scheduling a delivery in the third week of December before they close for the holiday break. I don't have a preference, but I'm curious what experiences others have had and preferences. I think that's it for now, and I appreciate your thoughtful insight into my questions.

chicagoA6 05-28-2018 04:24 AM

We got 5% off. You might want to see if Audi is running any Conquest or Loyalty programs for new car purchases. Conquest is cash off for buyers currently owning a competing brand (BMW, Mercedes, etc...). Loyalty is cash off if you currently own an Audi. On our A7 the Loyalty was another $1,500 off (if I recall correctly) in additional to the 5%. A dealer might be willing to do more than 5%, but will depend on how much they want that sale. In their defense they would much rather sell you something off the lot. ED delivery is more work for them. Instead you might want to see if they will throw in a pre-paid maintenance plan for free (called Audi Care).

We did delivery in Ingolstadt. Stayed at the Munich Airport hotel for 1 night and Audi picked us up in the AM for a drive to Ingolstadt. Factory and museum tour where great. Ingolstadt proximity to Munich make it nice if you want to spend a few days before delivery touring the town. Neckarsulm is closer to Frankfurt. I cannot speak for Frankfurt, but Munich airport does a lot of volume for ED deliveries so we only waited 3 weeks for our car to make it back from Germany. I've heard stories about people dropping off their cars in Nice or Venice and it taking a while for them to arrive stateside.

Best of luck

mkinn 05-28-2018 05:52 AM

Just be aware taking delivery between Nov. 1 through April 15, your car will have winter tires installed. (Info from Audi European Delivery FAQ)

myaudiQ3 05-28-2018 12:37 PM

Awesome! Thanks for the perspective and advice. I appreciate.

myaudiQ3 05-28-2018 12:38 PM

OK, appreciate the heads up. Thank you

lowjdml 05-28-2018 11:53 PM

The winter tire statement refers to not delivering cars with summer tires during the listed dates. All season tires are acceptable as winter tires in Germany. I picked up my A4 w/all season tires in mid December 2016 from Ingolstadt and drove to Stuttgart for a tour of the Porsche production line and museum.
I was already in Munich (not the airport) so their driver came into town to pick me up. I sat in the front seat and talked to him about driving practices in Germany, i.e. "how much above a posted speed limit is safe on the autobahn?" [+10 kph usually ok but areas with cameras 'obey the speed limit'.]
My dealer didn't budge from the 5% discount. Do an ED for the experience. Depending on how long you're staying in Europe, it might be is cheaper to buy a car off the lot and fly to Europe and rent a car.
My car took 11 weeks from drop-off in Stuttgart to arrival at my dealer.

markcincinnati 05-29-2018 05:11 AM

Audi Club members often (usually) get 6% off the MSRP for cars delivered in the US. It IS possible to rent an Audi (or another brand) in Germany and drive it on the Autobahn. The issue with the rental cars is that they will be from a fleet that will certainly NOT offer you a rental with the configuration you would order. I don't know, for instance, if it is even possible to rent an S3, S4, S6, etc. The Audi A4 we rented had a 4-cylinder engine that was smaller than the one we get in the US. It was still peppy and it would easily cruise along (where legal) well above 100 MPH (not a typo, I converted from KPH). Rented an E class Mercedes twice and found them very very long-legged.

At my Hotel in Munich, Porsche rentals were also possible -- but the price was, well, breathtaking.

The reason, IMHO, to go with the ED program is for the EXPERIENCE, not the discount. If a 5% discount doesn't cut it for you, I would urge you to consider the cost of a rental that you will save, etc. It may not make up for an additional point or two (or maybe three) off of the MSRP, but it isn't nothing.

I take it you will be getting a 2019 Q3; I'm wondering what the HP and torque will be -- did they tell you?

Good luck! Germany (especially Bavaria) is a great (and beautiful) experience.

chicagoA6 05-31-2018 05:47 PM

Renting is also a good option. Last year we rented an S7 from Sixt out of Munich. Sixt is like Europe's version of Hertz. Meaning they are everywhere. With the new A7 being delivered later this year Euro delivery didn't work for us this year so we are renting an S63 Coupe also from Sixt.

Having your own car is great, but its always pretty nice to have a car perhaps better than yours that you don't have to worry about where to park and picking up any dings.

Depending on when you are going rental rates are reasonable. The S7 last year (September) was around $1K for 10 days