AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi Euro Delivery Program Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-euro-delivery-program-discussion-124/)
-   -   Radio in Europe (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-euro-delivery-program-discussion-124/radio-europe-2868284/)

gforaker 07-02-2014 11:59 AM

Radio in Europe

Just planning for the October ED.

I know that Audi connect won't work over there because they install the SIM card here. Satellite radio Sirius/XM also won't work. The FAQ from the dealer says that the iPod connection cable is given here on delivery. I probably won't have a data plan for my iPhone so Bluetooth may be limited.

That leaves the radio. Does the radio self adjust to European frequencies? They are in the same general band as ours, but different spacing. AM stations are 9kh apart rather than the 10k apart over here. FM stations there are any 100k frequency in the band, even or odd. Over here, the stations are only on the odd 200k numbers. 95.5, 100.1, etc. Does the radio self adjust or will it fail to tune some stations?

dalek453 07-02-2014 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by gforaker (Post 24582988)
Just planning for the October ED.

I know that Audi connect won't work over there because they install the SIM card here. Satellite radio Sirius/XM also won't work. The FAQ from the dealer says that the iPod connection cable is given here on delivery. I probably won't have a data plan for my iPhone so Bluetooth may be limited.

That leaves the radio. Does the radio self adjust to European frequencies? They are in the same general band as ours, but different spacing. AM stations are 9kh apart rather than the 10k apart over here. FM stations there are any 100k frequency in the band, even or odd. Over here, the stations are only on the odd 200k numbers. 95.5, 100.1, etc. Does the radio self adjust or will it fail to tune some stations?

I bought a MMI cable for my Ipad for my upcoming ED. You can also copy all of your music Library onto an SD Card or two and play them through the Audi Jukebox. There are plenty of posts on here to learn how to do so. I purchased Two 32 GB SD Cards that I will use to copy all of my family's Ipod music onto. I understand Audi MMI Jukebox can play back ACC files from Apple. My best guess is that you will have no problem with using the radio with simple configuration in the MMI while in Ingolstadt.

Q5forWife 07-02-2014 05:30 PM

My wife remembered in our ED last year of the Q5, she was able to see the available stations on the MMI screen and used selector knob to pick the station.

alatsacto 07-03-2014 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Q5forWife (Post 24583084)
My wife remembered in our ED last year of the Q5, she was able to see the available stations on the MMI screen and used selector knob to pick the station.

Yup the MMI system constantly scans for available stations. I can confirm we had radio reception in Germany, Austria, France, Belgium, and Netherlands. So we had something to listen to, now whether you enjoy and/or can understand the music is an entirely different discussion. :)

Richard Solomon 07-03-2014 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by alatsacto (Post 24583297)
So we had something to listen to

I must be the odd man out here - I had plenty to listen to the entire trip, and without turning the MMI audio on at all... the snarling, growling, purring, and other such wonderful noises emitting from the beast which lives beneath the hood of the car :D

I'm a little sad to say I have no idea if the radio works in Europe, or at all for that matter! On the other hand, Bob Flavin had it nailed "It's like the noise from down deep in the BELLY of a lion!" :D :D :D

Gluhwein 08-09-2014 05:21 AM

I find European radio rather disturbingly eclectic: One minute they're playing a pop tune that was popular six months ago back home, next the same station is playing acid rock from the 60's, followed by country, then something is German or Dutch followed by lots of talking sans commercials. Inevitably an ABBA song ends up in the mix. It's horrible really. Back in the good ole Cold War era I looked forward to listening to Armed Forces Radio or VOA.

gforaker 08-18-2014 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Gluhwein (Post 24594393)
I find European radio rather disturbingly eclectic: One minute they're playing a pop tune that was popular six months ago back home, next the same station is playing acid rock from the 60's, followed by country, then something is German or Dutch followed by lots of talking sans commercials. Inevitably an ABBA song ends up in the mix. It's horrible really. Back in the good ole Cold War era I looked forward to listening to Armed Forces Radio or VOA.

Hah! Yes, the local radio there is a bit schizophrenic. I understand the widely different types of music is due to they are often THE local public community radio station and feel a duty to please almost everyone.

The wife and I are German speakers (her much better than I) and we like to listen to the local flavor, culture and news. Much like we enjoy sampling local foods.

Gluhwein 08-20-2014 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by gforaker (Post 24596748)
Hah! Yes, the local radio there is a bit schizophrenic. I understand the widely different types of music is due to they are often THE local public community radio station and feel a duty to please almost everyone.

The wife and I are German speakers (her much better than I) and we like to listen to the local flavor, culture and news. Much like we enjoy sampling local foods.

I'm with you on the food....and the beer. I'll pass on German radio though. :)