RS3 European Delivery - Page 2 - AudiWorld Forums

Audi Euro Delivery Program Discussion Discussion forum for Audi's Euro Delivery Program - questions & experiences

RS3 European Delivery

Old 05-10-2018, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi Blue Smoke,

Not sure how old your kids are, but if they're little they'll probably get bored with the factory tour which takes about 2 hours and there's lots of walking.

Last edited by br2112; 05-10-2018 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by raceboy18 View Post
Even with doing a bit of research, driving in Germany "seemed" a bit daunting at first, simply because you're in an unfamiliar place with your brand new car. We stayed in Ingolstadt again that night and after dinner once the town settled down considerably, we just drove around for 30 minutes getting used to signage and everything. In no time I think you'll feel just as comfortable driving through Germany as driving in the states. Very intuitive overall.

If helpful - here's some photos/video/commentary from our trip last May.
@raceboy18 Very cool trip & great site + pics. I've been looking at some of the tips for driving in Germany and your suggestion make sense. Thank you!
Old 05-10-2018, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by superswiss View Post
I'm from Switzerland and let me tell you that you want to watch your speed while in Switzerland. The fines for speeding tickets are based on your income. I remember a story of some Chinese guys who bought Ferrari's and Lambo's in Italy and then drove through Europe. In Switzerland they got caught speeding excessively. Long story short, they lost their newly bought cars. Switzerland will confiscate them and depending on how much you were speeding you won't get the car back and the fine for the speeding tickets was several hundred thousands of dollars, because these guys were all millionaires and billionaires. Switzerland has many stationary radar traps and also unmarked vehicles on the side of the road with radar equipment in the front especially in the cities such as Zurich. These cars are innocently parked on the side of the road catching speeders. Germany is relatively harmless in comparison. I've got a few speeding tickets in Germany. The highest one was like 80 Euros doing 130 kph in a 100 kph zone. I still remember one where I got find 10 Euros for going something like 55 in 50 zone. It cost me $25 to wire 10 Euro to Germany :-). Now they take credit cards and you can pay the fine online. If you go to the Netherlands, they issue speeding tickets based on your average speed. They measure how long it took you to drive a certain distance and if the average speed was above the limit, you'll get a ticket. ED is plenty of fun, though in Germany. If you want to truly experience the car, do it in Germany. Lots of unrestricted Autobahn in Northern Germany, not so much in Southern Germany. Luggage space will be very tight. The RS3 trunk is tiny. I went by myself to pick up my RS5. Stayed for almost one month and packed a large suitcase. I needed work clothes as I combined it with a business trip, but the trunk was pretty much full with one suitcase and my backpack. Wouldn't have been able to fit two suitcases and the RS5 trunk is quite a bit larger than the RS3 trunk.
@superswiss Thank you for sharing this insight. This is a tough one because we're planning on going to see some of Switzerland -- maybe Zurich (and a chocolate factory). But you've provided really good insight so I will just need to drive below the limit and avoid those hefty fines.

Last edited by Blue Smoke; 05-10-2018 at 07:17 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by br2112 View Post
Hi Blue Smoke,

Not sure how old your kids are, but if they're little they'll probably get bored with the factory tour which takes about 2 hours and there's lots of walking.
@br2112 They are 14 and 12. My daughter will not care for it much but my son and wife will enjoy it -- but not as much as me
Old 05-10-2018, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Blue Smoke View Post
@br2112 They are 14 and 12. My daughter will not care for it much but my son and wife will enjoy it -- but not as much as me
My 7-year old daughter enjoyed it - so much so she let me tack in Neckarsulm towards the end of our trip!
We brought something from home to give to the tour guides and that helped her have a sense of purpose, too, I think.

You'll also need an additional sticker to use Swiss highways. I didn't end up getting one, so stayed on local roads for my brief sojourn for one night stay and a chocolate factory. Only one was especially scary - narrower than a single lane yet intended for two lanes of opposing traffic while in a brand new car bigger than what I'm used to driving.....!
Old 05-10-2018, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by zzcett View Post
That's just what I did (in October) and had a great time!
This is directed @zzcett but anyone can feel free to respond.

After looking at maps and trying to balance keeping the driving distance reasonable plus reach a number of interesting locations, I think I'm going to model our trip similar to yours.

The update would look something like this.

Day 1: Munich activities
Day 2: Pick up car in Ingolstadt - drive to Salzburg
Day 3: Salzburg activities
Day 4: Alpenstrasse to Fussen
Day 5: Schloss Neuschwantstein and Hohenschwangau; Drive to Swiss Chocolate (Maestrani) Factory town
Day 6: Chocolate Factory tour. Drive towards Zurich
Day 7: Zurich activities. Drive towards Nurburgring (maybe pick a middle spot to stay)
Day 8: Ring! Drive back towards Munich (maybe pick a middle spot to stay)
Day 9: Return to Munich / Munich activities. Wash and drop off car. Depart Munich

Note: I think I have about 2 more days then what's listed so we have some flexibility based on feedback

Some questions:
Alpenstrasse:
1. I found this Google Earth KML as well as this page with a clear map (below) to start Konigsee -- but I'm having a tricky time trying to get this route into google maps such that it tells me the travel time. How long did it take to get from Salzburg to Fussen?
2. Are Schloss Linderhof and Partnach Gorge the best points of interest along the way?

Maestrani:
3. Worth the visit?
4. Did you stay near here and any recommendations?

Romantic Road:
5. Worth taking? I'm trying to balance my joy of driving fun roads vs. keeping the family happy (scenic and fast ok, tight turns and slow, not ok)

Nurburgring
6. Did you consider this?

General:
7. Are there any parts of your trip that you'd consider a *must do*?
8. Anything that you'd change?

Thanks for your input!

Old 05-10-2018, 10:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

@superswiss Thank you for sharing this insight. This is a tough one because we're planning on going to see some of Switzerland -- maybe Zurich (and a chocolate factory). But you've provided really good insight so I will just need to drive below the limit and avoid those hefty fines.
Don't let me discourage you. Just stick to the speed limits since you are not familiar with the area. Especially in town. Speed limit is 50 kph and there are also 30 kph zones. Don't drive faster, that's where they are most likely trying to get you. On the Autobahn it's a bit more flexible, but if you don't know where the radars are, I recommend you don't exceed the speed limit. Especially when it's lowered to 100 kph or 80 kph and around constructions. As mentioned above, you need a vignette if you drive on the Autobahn in Switzerland, same for Austria. You can get them at gas stations in Germany close to the border. Enjoy your trip. I've never been to Maestrani. Honestly, I had to look them up :-). I've never actually heard of them, but I moved away 20 years ago. Once you get to Zurich, though, you wanna check out Confiserie Sprüngli on the Bahnhofstrasse. Sprüngli is one of the old Swiss Chocolate makers. Delicious, especially their truffles. My favorite chocolate to be honest. Also make sure you try many of the local cheeses that you can't get anywhere else. Lots of Alp (Alps) and Berg (Mountain) cheeses.

As for Germany, the Nurburgring should definitely be a must in an RS. The way you've planned it, the car should be broken in by then. Germany is kinda the best way to brake the car in as you get to vary the speed on the Autobahn over a wide range.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

This is directed @zzcett but anyone can feel free to respond.

After looking at maps and trying to balance keeping the driving distance reasonable plus reach a number of interesting locations, I think I'm going to model our trip similar to yours.

The update would look something like this.

Day 1: Munich activities
Day 2: Pick up car in Ingolstadt - drive to Salzburg
Day 3: Salzburg activities
Day 4: Alpenstrasse to Fussen
Day 5: Schloss Neuschwantstein and Hohenschwangau; Drive to Swiss Chocolate (Maestrani) Factory town
Day 6: Chocolate Factory tour. Drive towards Zurich
Day 7: Zurich activities. Drive towards Nurburgring (maybe pick a middle spot to stay)
Day 8: Ring! Drive back towards Munich (maybe pick a middle spot to stay)
Day 9: Return to Munich / Munich activities. Wash and drop off car. Depart Munich

Note: I think I have about 2 more days then what's listed so we have some flexibility based on feedback

Some questions:
Alpenstrasse:
1. I found this Google Earth KML as well as this page with a clear map (below) to start Konigsee -- but I'm having a tricky time trying to get this route into google maps such that it tells me the travel time. How long did it take to get from Salzburg to Fussen?
[\QUOTE]

Yeah- it w's really hard to get the Alpenstrasse in a Google map. Luckily, though, it is pretty-well marked (I think I only accidentally fell off it once), so once you get on, you can just follow the signs pretty well. Honestly, I don't remember the time it took us to get to Fussen, but we did stay on the Alpenstrasse most of the day as I remember. I just checked my Google timeline and it says we were driving for a total of ~5 hours.

2. Are Schloss Linderhof and Partnach Gorge the best points of interest along the way?
Yes, although you may also consider Herrenciemsee. We didn't make time to see that (it's best seen in a full day), but I hear it is really worth a visit, if you can stick in another castle.

Maestrani:
3. Worth the visit?
4. Did you stay near here and any recommendations?

The tour is self-guided and while nothing amazing, was fun if you like chocolate. Plenty of free chocolate everywhere to taste. My daughter also really enjoyed decorating and flavoring her own chocolate bar. The gift shop had some great sales and some very good unmarked dark chocolate bars for 1 SFR each.
A bit out of the way and not much else to do. The drive there, though, was nice. Glad we went, but I probably wouldn't make a second trip to go just there.

We stayed in St Gallen. Nothing wrong with it, but it was the least memorably night/town of the trip. So, I'd recommend elsewhere. I love Zurich (although we didn't go there this trip.)

Romantic Road:
5. Worth taking? I'm trying to balance my joy of driving fun roads vs. keeping the family happy (scenic and fast ok, tight turns and slow, not ok)
By this time of our trip, I was getting more miles on the car, so was starting to explore some higher speeds, and we had good distances to go, so we kind of split our time between the Romantic Road and autobahn. Overall, I preferred the alpenstrasse, so if you were able to do that, you could switch to some high speed fun on the autobahn by this point and still be happy. The non-autobahns have lots of small towns along the way. Pretty and scenic, but it takes a lot of time as the speed limit decreases significantly in and near towns.

I found it hard to get the GPSs (my phone and the one Audi provided) to keep me on either the Alpenstrasse or Romantic Road at times; they kept trying to get me onto the autobahn - or onto other local roads not the route I wanted. So. I basically turned them off for guidance and followed the road signs and my printed maps where I could aim for each next new town. The Audi-supplied GPS was good for picking up speed limits, though. That was very handy.

Nurburgring
6. Did you consider this?
I did very much. I like that it's in your plan. With just me and my 7-year old and it seems like at least an accident a day on the 'ring, I decided not to risk my daughter's safety through either my or someone else's bad driving. I'd have done it if I could have dropped her off some place with Mom or something.

General:
7. Are there any parts of your trip that you'd consider a *must do*?
8. Anything that you'd change?
Our stay at Hotel-Mueller and the two Ludwig castles there was perfect. I would do that exactly the same way every time!
My daughter really loved staying at the castle Burg Colmberg, too. The restaurant was closed when we were there and we got there too late to feel like going into town, so we didn't eat particularly well, but exploring the castle at night on our own was a lot of fun.
And of course the two factory tours were awesome.
I'd have preferred to have an extra day to spend some time in Salzburg. Our hotel was quite nice in a pretty area, and 30m or so from Salzburg, but we just didn't have the time. St. Gallen was also a poor choice, or maybe just the hotel we chose. Lodging in Switzerland is super expensive, so I'd probably look for something quainter and/or head to a different town to base out of.

Hope that helps!
Old 05-11-2018, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by superswiss View Post
Don't let me discourage you. Just stick to the speed limits since you are not familiar with the area. Especially in town. Speed limit is 50 kph and there are also 30 kph zones. Don't drive faster, that's where they are most likely trying to get you. On the Autobahn it's a bit more flexible, but if you don't know where the radars are, I recommend you don't exceed the speed limit. Especially when it's lowered to 100 kph or 80 kph and around constructions. As mentioned above, you need a vignette if you drive on the Autobahn in Switzerland, same for Austria. You can get them at gas stations in Germany close to the border. Enjoy your trip. I've never been to Maestrani. Honestly, I had to look them up :-). I've never actually heard of them, but I moved away 20 years ago. Once you get to Zurich, though, you wanna check out Confiserie Sprüngli on the Bahnhofstrasse. Sprüngli is one of the old Swiss Chocolate makers. Delicious, especially their truffles. My favorite chocolate to be honest. Also make sure you try many of the local cheeses that you can't get anywhere else. Lots of Alp (Alps) and Berg (Mountain) cheeses.

As for Germany, the Nurburgring should definitely be a must in an RS. The way you've planned it, the car should be broken in by then. Germany is kinda the best way to brake the car in as you get to vary the speed on the Autobahn over a wide range.
@superswiss: Thank you for the encouragement and the tips. Depending on what my family prefers we might spend more time in and around Zurich. You've sold me on Sprüngli and cheese, but that's not hard to do with me
Old 05-11-2018, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by zzcett View Post
Hope that helps!
This is a perfect response. I really appreciate you taking the time to give me that amount of insight. I will probably modify our plans around Switzerland a bit to focus more on Zurich but based on your feedback I feel a lot more confident about our plans.

Cheers!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RS3 European Delivery

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: