Audi Euro Delivery Program Discussion Discussion forum for Audi's Euro Delivery Program - questions & experiences

When to register your car w/ ED

Old 10-17-2017, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

NGLBGL,

If you're in California, you could consider filing an Affidavit of Non-Use to avoid proof of liability coverage and penalties in the interim. See https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...r/vr_sb1500anu, which is something different from Planned Non-Operation (PNO).

Also if there is a chance your S5 will be imported and redelivered to you after December 31, be careful what you wish for before poking at the California DMV hornet's nest. You might want to choose to accept the early registration in order to defer assessment of the new transportation improvement fees that kick in January 1 (SB1, https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...d=201720180SB1).
Old 10-17-2017, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NGLBGL
I wonder if the registration has anything to do with how the car was purchased? Like if it was leased, financed, cash...??
My car was purchased, not leased.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vindaloo
NGLBGL,

If you're in California, you could consider filing an Affidavit of Non-Use to avoid proof of liability coverage and penalties in the interim. See https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...r/vr_sb1500anu, which is something different from Planned Non-Operation (PNO).

Also if there is a chance your S5 will be imported and redelivered to you after December 31, be careful what you wish for before poking at the California DMV hornet's nest. You might want to choose to accept the early registration in order to defer assessment of the new transportation improvement fees that kick in January 1 (SB1, https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...d=201720180SB1).
I am in sunny southern California; unfortunately as I financed the car the dealer required me to provide liability coverage before I even left for Germany (they said something about the bank requiring it?) so I don't think I need to go through that process. Also, I contacted the shipper directly since my dealer has been useless for getting an eta on my car and according to them it should arrive in port on Nov. 4 so I should avoid the new fees regardless?
Old 11-15-2017, 08:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Have any of you ever been told that your car is going through a different customs process than other new Audis when it arrives at the port? My dealer told me that it usually takes 4-5 days at most for their cars to clear customs and get trucked from the port to them. So when my car arrived in San Diego 2 weeks ago I was quite confused when my dealer informed me that my car didn't even show up in the system as an arrival. After the dealer contacted Audi ED they confirmed that my car had arrived at port but that they expected it to take ~3 weeks to clear customs. My dealer and I are both quite confused by this and it is getting extremely frustrating to know that my new S5 is only a few miles from my house in San diego but I still don't have it....
Old 11-15-2017, 10:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Yes, as far as I know it's going through a different process, because the car was in your possession. It could get searched for contraband for example. 3 weeks is a long time. Mine only took a few days and I was immediately notified by IFF, Inc which handles the customs process in behalf of Audi. At least back then they were. Who knows, Audi may be using a different company now. However, my dealer also didn't know that the car was here. It just showed up at their doorsteps, dirty as hell, encrusted in salt, so they had to detail it first.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Same here. IFF, Inc confirmed ship arrival and customs status. My car cleared immediately. Didn’t need to contact the dealer at all.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the info guys; was IFF the company you dropped your car off with in Germany as well or just the US based carrier?
Old 11-16-2017, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the info guys; was IFF the company you dropped your car off with in Germany as well or just the US based carrier?
In my case, I granted IFF (International Freight Forwarders) customs power of attorney. My forwarding agent in Hamburg, BLG, should e-mail the POA and all other forms (such as authorization for shipping and the EPA declaration) to IFF in College Park, Georgia. I haven't experienced my second delivery yet - my car is still in Germany.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

No, BLG Logistics handles the transport and export from Europe, while IFF handles the import in the US..
Old 11-16-2017, 06:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by vindaloo
In my case, I granted IFF (International Freight Forwarders) customs power of attorney. My forwarding agent in Hamburg, BLG, should e-mail the POA and all other forms (such as authorization for shipping and the EPA declaration) to IFF in College Park, Georgia. I haven't experienced my second delivery yet - my car is still in Germany.
I see; I also dropped my car off with BLG in Hamburg. Was the power of attorney one of the several forms we have to sign or did you have to request it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: When to register your car w/ ED