Audi News Forum Discussion of Audi-related news, rumors, information and links to other publications

2022 Audi S8 First Drive (AudiWorld Official)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2022, 10:02 AM
IB Staff

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default 2022 Audi S8 First Drive (AudiWorld Official)

Hey, folks! Palmer here from the front page editorial team. Audi USA invited me to a media event last week where we had a few hours behind the wheel of the 2022 Audi S8, I broke the drive experience down into an eight-part list-style review highlighting interesting features -- https://www.audiworld.com/articles/a...sh-first-look/

For anyone who owns a D5-generation S8, it's probably not worth the upgrade because it's only a mid-cycle refresh/facelift. But as a sporty flagship sedan, it remains really, really good a just about everything.

Do you own or have you driven an A8 or S8 recently? What's your review of the vehicle?
The following 3 users liked this post by MPalmer:
19A4SLINE (05-06-2022), marraccinijd (06-11-2022), rafizigdon (05-12-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi. nice review. 2 questions. first you said no L version is available, I thought all versions of the car are long wheel versions in the US. Second, all those features you mentioned about the suspension are related to the upgraded predictive suspension that cost 6000, correct? did you drive an S8 with the standard sport suspension and and differences? thx.
Old 04-11-2022, 06:10 PM
IB Staff

Originally Posted by robertsalem
hi. nice review. 2 questions. first you said no L version is available, I thought all versions of the car are long wheel versions in the US. Second, all those features you mentioned about the suspension are related to the upgraded predictive suspension that cost 6000, correct? did you drive an S8 with the standard sport suspension and and differences? thx.
Hi, Robert, appreciate the questions. My sincerest apologies for any confusion. Usually, when reviewing a vehicle, I receive a window sticker that outlines standard and optional features. In this case, we were given a tech briefing and then handed the keys to a car with what, in hindsight, appears to be every available option. So, yes, you are correct, all US S8s are what would be a long-wheelbase international model (something that's in the written portion of my review, but not in the video). And, yes, the predictive suspension is an option and, sadly, I have not driven the standard version.

Cheers & thanks so much.
The following users liked this post:
DadAudi (04-13-2022)
Old 04-29-2022, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I am not mistaken RR also uses the camera system to scan the road ahead for details likes that to adapt the ride does it not?
Old 04-29-2022, 02:06 PM
IB Staff

Originally Posted by Audi1S4962
If I am not mistaken RR also uses the camera system to scan the road ahead for details likes that to adapt the ride does it not?
Correct. It senses forthcoming road conditions and adjusts variables like height and damping ahead of time. I'm not smart enough to know how it works, but it's quite literally one of the smoothest vehicles I've ever driven and a feature I'd recommend getting.
Old 04-30-2022, 02:47 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Hey MPalmer, have you driven the previous generation S8, A8, or ANY other previous gen Audis?
Old 05-06-2022, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could almost sell my 2022 M4 COMP with 1000 miles on the ODO for this!

Last edited by 19A4SLINE; 05-12-2022 at 02:02 AM.
Old 05-20-2022, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Excellent design!
Old 06-08-2022, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you heard if Audi will be releasing a "plus" version? There was an article in March of 2021 mentioning they were in the works.
Old 06-09-2022, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by MPalmer
Hey, folks! Palmer here from the front page editorial team. Audi USA invited me to a media event last week where we had a few hours behind the wheel of the 2022 Audi S8, I broke the drive experience down into an eight-part list-style review highlighting interesting features -- https://www.audiworld.com/articles/a...sh-first-look/

For anyone who owns a D5-generation S8, it's probably not worth the upgrade because it's only a mid-cycle refresh/facelift. But as a sporty flagship sedan, it remains really, really good a just about everything.

Do you own or have you driven an A8 or S8 recently? What's your review of the vehicle?
I own a 2019 A8...I'd say it is the smoothest driving car I have ever been in, and it does not have the predictive suspension. I think the predictive suspension will smooth out the big dips and provide active roll control, but the basic suspension itself is very good. My SO said on the first ride in the car, "now this is something different." i haven't been in a recent Bentley or Rolls, but I don't think anything short of that compares (depending on which tires you choose). With the acoustic glass, the B&O Advanced system and that suspension, it's really like driving in a sanctuary. It's so smooth I think it could benefit from one of those subaru devices that can detect when you're nodding off at the wheel.

Quick Reply: 2022 Audi S8 First Drive (AudiWorld Official)