Audi News Forum Discussion of Audi-related news, rumors, information and links to other publications

UPDATED! RS 5 Sportback Ascari Launch Edition (AudiWorld Reviews)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2022, 02:30 PM
IB Staff

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default UPDATED! RS 5 Sportback Ascari Launch Edition (AudiWorld Reviews)

PREVIOUS

Hey, folks, Audi USA just sent over a 2021 Audi RS 5 Sportback 1 of 100 Ascari Launch Edition for review.

I'll make sure to post all of our review content links here in this thread, but let me know if you have any questions. Cheers!

--2/3/22 UPDATE--

Here's my full review -- https://www.audiworld.com/articles/a...back-reviewed/

Last edited by MPalmer; 02-03-2022 at 09:23 AM. Reason: updated with link to review
The following users liked this post:
a5.cw (01-26-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 09:22 AM
IB Staff

Updating the thread and the OP with a link to my review -- https://www.audiworld.com/articles/a...back-reviewed/

I generally loved the car, but the exhaust tones just rubbed me the wrong way, personally. But what do you think about he RS 5 and RS 5 Sportback? Good, great, mediocre? Do you enjoy the Sport exhaust sound? Lemme know!
Old 02-03-2022, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

nice review but i differ on several points. ive had a new19 rs5sb for about year and half and 8xxx mi so far. use it daily driver, on road trips, and track days when bad weather makes it better choice than my usual lotus elise. i do like the car and appreciate all it can do but havent really bonded with it like i do my other cars. the rs5 replaced an alfa giulia that i really loved. it is almost as heavy as the audi but felt about 1000lbs less. the heavy motor over front axle really hinders audi handling.

i dont love audi exhaust either but find best part of it is the burbling and farting of the sports exhaust. without that, there would be nothing to distinguish its sound from a buick or tesla for that matter. maybe removing the 3 resonators is the answer but i havent done that yet.

agree with price that its not a good value at 100k but i bought mine at a good pre covid discount and am very satisfied with value. best part of the car is the style which i feel is best sedan going. plus the sonoma green is incredible as is the alcantera interior. cannot understand why anyone would choose leather over that. seats are great but would be better if were a/c too. conti sport contact 6 tires are great. can function on track and snow.

still nothing available that would make me sell it for. glad caddy chrysler makes their hotrods but i like the rs better.
Kris Hansen (02-03-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 11:22 AM
IB Staff

Originally Posted by dr drift
nice review but i differ on several points. ive had a new19 rs5sb for about year and half and 8xxx mi so far. use it daily driver, on road trips, and track days when bad weather makes it better choice than my usual lotus elise. i do like the car and appreciate all it can do but havent really bonded with it like i do my other cars. the rs5 replaced an alfa giulia that i really loved. it is almost as heavy as the audi but felt about 1000lbs less. the heavy motor over front axle really hinders audi handling.

i dont love audi exhaust either but find best part of it is the burbling and farting of the sports exhaust. without that, there would be nothing to distinguish its sound from a buick or tesla for that matter. maybe removing the 3 resonators is the answer but i havent done that yet.

agree with price that its not a good value at 100k but i bought mine at a good pre covid discount and am very satisfied with value. best part of the car is the style which i feel is best sedan going. plus the sonoma green is incredible as is the alcantera interior. cannot understand why anyone would choose leather over that. seats are great but would be better if were a/c too. conti sport contact 6 tires are great. can function on track and snow.

still nothing available that would make me sell it for. glad caddy chrysler makes their hotrods but i like the rs better.
Really appreciate the owner's perspective. Invaluable in a world where writers only get 7 days to try something out, hahaha.

I agree with many of your points, but when you wrote this -- i do like the car and appreciate all it can do but havent really bonded with it like i do my other cars. -- at the end of the day, that's a better summation than I wrote in my review, although it feels odd because it's so capable and fun. Still, I wouldn't knock anyone who owns/loves these. Car reviews are part objective analysis, part subjective reaction.

dr drift (02-03-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 03:13 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by dr drift

For those of us who love the Audi brand, and have driven all of the various offerings through the years, we know how great they are - and yes, the exhaust is best when it farts on shifting! Price? When a Ford truck is 60k these days, a great car like the RS 5 should be up there as well.
Old 02-25-2022, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by MPalmer
Really appreciate the owner's perspective. Invaluable in a world where writers only get 7 days to try something out, hahaha.

I agree with many of your points, but when you wrote this -- i do like the car and appreciate all it can do but havent really bonded with it like i do my other cars. -- at the end of the day, that's a better summation than I wrote in my review, although it feels odd because it's so capable and fun. Still, I wouldn't knock anyone who owns/loves these. Car reviews are part objective analysis, part subjective reaction.
Interesting model, but after driving one we're sticking with our 2019 Audi RS 3, now at 32,598 total miles with 23,471 miles being fast country back road runs at speed, on 245/40/18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires on Neuspeed RSe10 18x8.5 wheels having just replaced Michelin A/S3+ which are now discontinued. Our RS 3 has a much better feel and seems to be significantly more 'sure footed' at speed. It's a keeper!

Last edited by rodpaine; 02-25-2022 at 05:34 AM.