Audi News Forum Discussion of Audi-related news, rumors, information and links to other publications

Diesel Cars Boom in the US; Audi A3, Q7 Make Top 10 List

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back to the topic - J.Spira on his web site publish new article about diesel car sales in US.

335d (once again) outsells 335i
<hr style="color: rgb(207, 207, 207); background-color: rgb(207, 207, 207);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> I just spent a good part of the past several days going through sales data from BMW, Audi, Mercedes-Benz, and VW to better understand what I've started to call comparable model sales for diesel versus petrol models (an example being the E90 335d versus the E90 335i).

Of course it all came formatted differently but I eventually reconciled it and found some really interesting trends.

First the BMW stuff. For 2010 (thus far), BMW is number 2 in diesel volume and in the percentage of comparable model diesel models compared to the petrol variant.

In June, the E90 335d outsold the E90 335i by a ratio of 7 to 5. This was the second time this year that the oil burner outsold the petrol model. The X5 diesel outsold its petrol-powered equivalent model in May by the way.

Volkswagen sells more diesels than anyone (even combining the sales of the other three companies!) and has an amazing diesel take rate on most models.

Mercedes-Benz, which introduced the first passenger diesel auto in 1936, was number 4 in both the percentage and total volume.

If you want more details and the spreadsheet, please see Diesel Economics 200

Old 07-13-2010, 03:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TIME89
Back to the topic - J.Spira on his web site publish new article about diesel car sales in US.

335d (once again) outsells 335i
<hr style="color: rgb(207, 207, 207); background-color: rgb(207, 207, 207);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> I just spent a good part of the past several days going through sales data from BMW, Audi, Mercedes-Benz, and VW to better understand what I've started to call comparable model sales for diesel versus petrol models (an example being the E90 335d versus the E90 335i).

Of course it all came formatted differently but I eventually reconciled it and found some really interesting trends.

First the BMW stuff. For 2010 (thus far), BMW is number 2 in diesel volume and in the percentage of comparable model diesel models compared to the petrol variant.

In June, the E90 335d outsold the E90 335i by a ratio of 7 to 5. This was the second time this year that the oil burner outsold the petrol model. The X5 diesel outsold its petrol-powered equivalent model in May by the way.

Volkswagen sells more diesels than anyone (even combining the sales of the other three companies!) and has an amazing diesel take rate on most models.

Mercedes-Benz, which introduced the first passenger diesel auto in 1936, was number 4 in both the percentage and total volume.

If you want more details and the spreadsheet, please see Diesel Economics 200

your spreadsheet does not consider that the spikes in diesel sales correspond nicely to tax day and to the end of the full tax credit in june. Of course the numbers are going to be higher. Let's see the next few months hold the trend or they drop off.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kristatos
This is exactly what I am saying - people don't buy "by the math" or we'd all drive the same econobox and drag a trailer when we need to haul stuff. Americans bought lots of big SUVs and trucks in the 80s and 90s because those cars and the fuel they run on were cheap enough.

Look at the thread in the A3 forum - TDIs (and diesels in general) account already for a significant percentage of sales within a model. For some cars like A3 and Volkswagen Jetta the diesel version of the car sells as much as the gasoline version. You haven't convinced me that these cars are not compelling to the average consumer and as they are marketed more aggressively and more models come available in diesel we could see wider adoption - for sure there are still obstacles but in a lot of ways diesel makes as much if not more sense than a hybrid.
For the jetta, esp. the wagon, they only way to get the full option spread is to get the TDI. the 2.0T is no longer offered. When the customer's engine options are "boat anchor" or "TDI", then duh, of course they're gonna get the TDI. The choice is even easier when the Gov't is picking up a goodly bit of the cost difference.

After owning a diesel TDI, I don't know that I'd ever buy another one. At least not a VW one. VAG has turned the simplest of I/C engines into a Rube Goldberg tribute. I don't think there's more than a 12" run of straight exhaust pipe under my car in between the various filters scrubbers and catalysts. Diesels in general are only getting more mechanically complex, hybrids and pure electrics are only getting simpler. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see a future for the technology.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:29 PM
Q3_
AudiWorld Newcomer

from "Diesel Fuel Prices" http://www.dieselserviceandsupply.co...el_Prices.aspx
"(1) Fuel Production
As per the current refinery structure, each barrel of oil produces more gasoline than diesel. 19% of each barrel of oil is used for the production of diesel fuel as against 47% of each barrel that is used for production of gasoline. This implies lower production costs for gasoline than for diesel."

Last edited by Q3_; 08-20-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default disel engine

Hi,
A diesel engine (also known as a compression-ignition engine and sometimes capitalized as pure powerful engine ) is an internal combustion engine that uses the heat of compression to initiate ignition to burn the fuel for moving fast drive and powerful drive.

our suggestion is that pls visit and search good sites for valuable products and parts. Everyone wants to costeffective product so pls work on this suggestion

Automotive Parts
Old 12-11-2011, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by toovo1985
Hi guys,

I'm from Portugal and I would like anyone to explain me why haven't diesel engines ever had success in America? Is it because of the specificies of american cars?

If anyone would care to answer my question I would be thankful
Up until very recently, diesel engines were crap (noisy, slow, etc.) Europeans had to put up with that because with high fuel prices, a 30% improvement in fuel economy is a pretty big deal. North America always had much lower fule prices than Europe, so the fuel efficiency/performance trade-off wasn't worth it for most drivers.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Q3_
from "Diesel Fuel Prices"
"(1) Fuel Production
As per the current refinery structure, each barrel of oil produces more gasoline than diesel. 19% of each barrel of oil is used for the production of diesel fuel as against 47% of each barrel that is used for production of gasoline. This implies lower production costs for gasoline than for diesel."
To my knowledge there are currently no diesel or hybrid convertibles for sale in North America?

Nox Vidmate VLC

Last edited by banda banda; 06-16-2019 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I suppose the people who buy a diesel also believe in the saying " clean coal".