Audi News Forum Discussion of Audi-related news, rumors, information and links to other publications

FastLaneDaily on the Audi Mileage Marathon - Day 2, Memphis to Dallas

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FastLaneDaily on the Audi Mileage Marathon - Day 2, Memphis to Dallas

Day 2, FastLaneDaily on the Audi Mileage Marathon

After learning we had won the previous leg, Chicago to Memphis, we were gunning to keep the lead. We left Memphis with a hyper-mileage theory. No air-conditioning, windows up, front bumper taped, and proper drafting and coasting techniques.

It became a challenge to do the speed limit as we passed Little Rock on the way to Dallas. No one does the speed limit... not even trucks. It became increasingly uncomfortable and unsafe to constantly be passed by vehicles that would never have passed me on any other day. I think this was the first time that I had actually stayed at the speed limit for more than an hour which makes me think, how the hell do states get away with this ****?

The Q7 is a perfect car for our trip. We have wireless internet, enough outlets to charge all of our equipment, and seats that make my bed at home look pathetic. A lot of people are asking what we are doing as we enter these small towns along the way. Diesel Audis? Why would you want that? Its safe to say we have become very familiar with the 2009 Audi Product lineup as we explain that yes, its a diesel, and no it doesn't sound or smell like ****.

Early this morning we got the results from Day 2. We got second place, only 9 points behind the winner which puts us tied for first overall on Wave 2. The winner had an average speed of 58mph with an overall average of 30.1mpg in a Q7. We've never seen above 30mpg, but then again, we dont drive at 60mph the entire way cross the country. Its painful to do that.