Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

95 S6 Code for Bag Airbag? Is this easy to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 95 S6 Code for Bag Airbag? Is this easy to replace?

I have an airbag light on the dash that wont reset and my shop states the passenger airbag is bad per the code? They wanted 5.5 hours of labor to replace the bag. My autobody shop said they can do the airbag labor for 1.5 hours and I found a used bag from an A6 at a local junk yard. The used bag was just $125 and the labor from the autobody shop will be around $85. Am I doing the right thing? I will have to return to Audi to reset the codes right? Is it likely that the passsenger airbag is indeed bad per the code or more likely a bad connection? I cant see spending 5.5 hours of Audi labor and a new bag for $950 bucks (Parts only).
Old 11-29-2011, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on what scan tool your shop used to find this diagnostic trouble code (DTC). Bentley does not list any passenger airbag DTC with a possible cause that directly indicated a faulty airbag. All codes list, wiring, bag, or control module as possible causes and suggested repairs include repairing/replacing the malfunctioning part. In addition, even if a faulty bag or module are found, the wiring should be checked.

Unless the shop has had your console or dash apart, I don't see how they would know which component is faulty. I am no airbag expert, but I am guessing that you have not been talking to one in your shop either. If the shop is using a VCDS full featured diagnostic system for VAG-COM or an Audi 1551 diagnostic tool, they should have a complete description of the malfunction code to take to the factory repair manual for repair suggestions.

If there have been some recent radio or climate control repairs, especially an airbox or heater core repair, looking for a break in the wiring is indicated. Verifying continuity in the wiring when replacing any parts is always indicated.

As for your suggested fix, the control module is easier to get to if the plan is to try to guess which to replace, and is probably in that same A6. You probably can't return either part.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The air bag is attached to the steering wheel via two Torx bolts and one electrical connector. The mechanics would have to be totally inept if it took them 5.5 hrs to change just the bag. If the problem is *just* the air bag, the 5.5 hours you have been quoted is about 4.5 hrs too high. I'd believe an hour but even that is stretching it.

However, if the issue is the airbag controller, their time will be closer because the controller is underneath the front portion of the console.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Passenger Airbag??

The shop stated the code was specific "passenger airbag" as opposed to anything else. Is the labor for the passenger side much higher than the steering wheel? Can someone confirm that codes can be that specific as well as somewhat accurate? The shop stated that airbags go bad and the codes are most likely accurate but would check the wiring when they have everything apart. The used passenger bag was only $100 bucks so I am not out that much even if my autobody shop replaces it for $50 in labor and the codes will not reset?
Old 11-29-2011, 10:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So sorry. I missed the "passenger" part of the story. My bad.

The passenger airbag, as you probably have figured out, lives behind the dash, above the glove box. I do NOT know whether it can be accessed and replaced by only removing the glove box or whether the dash has to come out. I am now guessing that the dealer quote is based on the dash coming out. The autobody shop obviously thinks they can do it by only removing the glovebox. I guess try them first and then find somebody with a VAGcom to do the reset.

Word of warning: Air bags are explosive devices. They should disconnect the battery for at least 10 minutes before they work on the car and take whatever other precautions to ensure that the airbag is not accidentally ignited. Battery off = you will need the radio code to get it going again.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The code is specific for passenger or driver airbag. It is the "why" part that leaves some room for expert work because this is all electronic sleuth work by the ECU, so it can't tell you exactly which component is faulty. It is checking the wiring (obviously), the control module for communication with the bag, and the igniter in the airbag for the capacitor retaining a charge. The ECU can detect a short to ground but the open circuit problem could be in any of the three choices.

The body shop is probably more adept at this type of work, so given the cost, I would give them a shot. They must have some VW/Audi specific diagnostic tool if they do this work regularly.

I did not mention about scan tools before, but VAD has a diagnostic tool with VW/Audi diagnostic software originally developed by Shadetreesoftware and some of the commercial grade tools are also capable of expanded diagnosis for this problem. They tend to be more expensive and some require periodic updating subscriptions that put the cost out of range for everyone but the pros.