Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

coolant leak under turbo area

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant leak under turbo area

Car seems to be dripping fluids everywhere lately.
I have been losing coolant on a fairly regular basis. Topping it off every 2-3 weeks. Car is pretty greasy underneath, but looking under the rt side of car, there is coolant drips from the bottom of the starter. Any suggestions from where this could be coming from? I can see what looks like a freeze plug a little further up on the block and under the turbo. Thoughts or suggestions appreciated.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are a few possibilities on the right side of the block:

1. G62 Temp Sensor at the back of the head
2. Coolant flange at the back of the block
3. Turbo coolant inlet and outlet lines
4. The climate control coolant temp sensor T with blue temp sensor.

The first three are shown in the first diagram, the fourth in the second diagram.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

More info on the turbo coolant feed line "union" in the middle frost plug hole (Item 32, PN 035103111B , in the diagram under the photo, $24 from GVAP: http://genuineaudiparts.com/parts/in...&siteid=214407)

Old 03-19-2013, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default And if it is the turbo line freeze plug, how is this

thing installed? Is it threaded?
From looking earlier today, I believe this could be the source.
Also appears to be limited access to this area with turbos in place. Would hate to have to remove the turbo to get to the area.
I will look this weekend when I have more time available.

Lets hope it is something with better access.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by prestonian
thing installed? Is it threaded?
Like the frost plugs, I believe it is friction fit/hammered in, not threaded. And yes, it won't be that easy to get at.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I doubt it is the freeze plug nipple more likely the rubber section of the coolant feed pipe that goes on the nipple. That piece of hose that is crimped to the hard line has a vinyl sleeve inside of it and if the vinyl cracks then the hose will leak. You can replace it with same hose used for the connection on the water manifold just carefully cut off the metal crimp and replace the section of hose along with two hose clamps BTDT.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Got under the car today and can see coolant

puddled on ground right about at firewall left side. There is coolant on the underneath side of the steering rack rubber bellows. I see several coolant hoses that go into the firewall above this area and in the pic. I ran my hand along the bottom and do not feel any coolant.
The front end is on ramps and there appears to be more coolant than typical on the floor. I wonder if it is pooling somewhere(heater core) and when sitting on an angle, more drains out.
Anyway, I cannot see any visible coolant on the Tee on the backside either.
Is it possible that the heater core is leaking? I do not see any coolant on the interior of the car.
Attached are two pics of the general area taken from above.

Mike
Attached Images   
Old 03-24-2013, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Leave the undertray off until you find this leak. Put paper towels under the suspect areas when you park and see if they get wet.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave's suggestion could possibly work, although the leaking coolant can run along a hose or frame member before dripping to the floor. IMO a better solution is to put those paper towels to work wiping off all the visible coolant and wet places and clean up all the crud so you can see the leak. Use the paper towels to run along the bottom of hoses and fittings, not your bare hand. You know where this heater hose adapter fitting and the "T" fitting in that same hose are. Have you ever changed them? If not, you are wasting your time looking around for coolant. If these are original and not leaking (which I believe they are) then they will be leaking soon. They would undoubtedly be brittle as hell and the nipples crack just from moving the hose around looking for a leak. Typically the nipple cracks inside the hose at the "T" and only leaks when the system reaches operating pressure and stops when the pressure lowers and the hot coolant quickly evaporates leaving very little trace at the source of the leak. If ignored, the agravating little leak will eventually result in the remaining portion of the nipple blowing out of the hose, emptying all the coolant in the system in less than a minute.

The heater core sits at the rear of the airbox where you can see the heater hoses running into nipples at the top left side. If the hoses or valve is leaking there it will run to the bottom of the plenum and out the drain to the floor. If the heater core itself is leaking the bottom of the core and airbox is lower than the plenum so all coolant from the core will leak into the cabin. In the beginning, this can run under any mats and only be noticed because of the smell or tendency of the windshield to fog inside when using defrost mode.

Working under the car is never classified as fun by most, but using those paper towels to wipe up leaks of every type whenever you are there or having someone detail that area can make the job much more pleasant and future leaks easier to find.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default attached is the pic I stole from Dave in the previous post

I see the Tee connector there in the middle.
I also see another band clamp along the same coolant line down to the left side of the photo. Are these the two you are referring?

I feel like the guy on the backside of a dam trying to plug the holes...Not enough time or fingers.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: coolant leak under turbo area