Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Emmett is da man. (edit: now with video)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emmett is da man. (edit: now with video)

I owe him, <big><b>BIG</b></big>.

This is what Emmett found when he pulled the timing belt cover off.<ul><li><a href="http://www.crapple0.com/fun/aw/000_0137.mov">Had it not been for the timing belt cover, my belt would have fallen off like this. (Video hosted by Crapple0, please right click, save as...)</a></li></ul>
Old 05-17-2005, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Story behind how this happened.

I had a coolant leak from the front of the engine, which I presumed to to be the water pump. I kept putting off the repairs, because of school, no worthy shop being around <small>(I went to school in the middle of East Bumfvck, a.k.a. Plattsburgh, NY, 200 miles from home)</small> and a lack of knowledge of front engine service on AAN's.

After the second to last final of the semester, I'm driving to my apartment, when I heard a strange flap noise up front, followed by a rattle/crunching noise. I thin, damn, my timing belt just borked! I instantly turn my car off, and coast to a stop in a little parking lot, pop the hood and prepare for the worst. I peer behind the timing belt cover and the belt is still intact, sweet! I start eh car again and it's making the strange noises still, but still running. I deduce the water pump's bearings are shot, and leave the car. I have to be moved out of my apartment in 4 days and tow prices are astronomical to bring it back home. I reluctantly call my girlfriend who is already finished with her semester, and ask her to drive up her family minivan to pick my sorry *** up, along with all my stuff, and I leave the S behind.

Today I went back with a Budget truck and car trailer to tow teh injured beast to Emmett's place so we can work on the water pump. I couldn't work on the car today be cause my girlfriend, who drove me to the truck rental station, and accompanied me to the car and back, was feeling ill and wanted to return home. I assumed we would work on it tomorrow, but Emmett tells me he will start on it today. Emmett attacked the job with the help of a local whom is not on AW and finished it.

I get a call from Emmet on my cell, and it goes like this:

Emmett: "Dude, your motor is fvcked"

Me: (gasping for air) "Oh no . . ."

Emmett: (probably grinning) "No, just kidding."

He was test driving it on I-87, and she was running great. He tells me the belt was off 4 or so teeth, which may have been from the slack of the borked pump's shaft, and that the belt had almost jumped the cam gear. He tells me he'll send me video later. Thank god for the timing belt cover, and Emmett.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default So I think the lesson is "Don't ignore leaks and strange engine noises- they will bite you if...

don't deal with them". They are symptoms of something bad (or potenially bad) and they will not fix themselves. (I am saying this out loud so I hear it too)

You got off REAL lucky Emre.

Dave F.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:53 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts
Default That's a brush with death.

Huge kudos to Emmett!
Old 05-18-2005, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default In my case, it was the leak ignored, not the engine noise.

When the engine made a noise, I no longer drove the car.

But I know I lucked out on this one.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default oh, I forgot to tell you, I took the liberty to install shiny red G60's, enjoy

What a difference RS2 injectors and chip makes. Pulls a lot harder, and earlier. Can't figure why they threw in a RS2 turbo and exhaust manifold, left the 2.5 PT, and installed a conservative lehmann chip. Now I just have to recover from the H&amp;R Bilstein upgrade, and somehow save enough for Toms FMIC. Sliiiiding.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Same when my serp belt tensioner died: Parked the car and flatbedded it to the shop.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:05 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

FMIC is only a few weeks away. Save now!
Old 05-18-2005, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sweet!

The slippery Slope has claimed another willing victim.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default This is EXACTLY how my old belt was....

I nearly fainted when I took the cover off and stripped everything down. The tensioner was at full slack and I simply pulled the belt right off the tensioner. Plus, I have no idea how long it had been like that (TB had been changed 20K before this).<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4s6/msgs/21538.phtml">Original Post</a></li></ul>

Quick Reply: Emmett is da man. (edit: now with video)