AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi Original "S" Cars (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-original-s-cars-25/)
-   -   G60's help. I have a friend who had two leaking rear calipers. We (me) replaced the rear calipers. (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-original-s-cars-25/g60s-help-i-have-friend-who-had-two-leaking-rear-calipers-we-me-replaced-rear-calipers-2166091/)

|skolnick 11-21-2006 10:36 AM

G60's help. I have a friend who had two leaking rear calipers. We (me) replaced the rear calipers.

They were leaking so badly that he would go through a 1L bottle of brake fluid in a week. Obviously some air got in to the lines and the pedal would go to the floor and the car would barely stop. After replacing and bleeding the rear calipers the pedal got better but it is not where it should be. It's still very soft.

I wanted to bleed the fronts but it seems some fool (probably Xel) tried to use the wrong wrench on the rusty bleed screws for the front G60's and they are all rounded off.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this?

Should I just tell him to buy two new front calipers as well?

He will not buy a BBK.

escargot 11-21-2006 10:39 AM

How I'd handle it:

Take a dremel, and try to grind two flat spots into the bleeder nipple. If you do it just right you may be able to get a smaller wrench on there. Otherwise, grind it down a lot, unscrew it completely and replace the nipples. If that doesn't work, then buy new calipers.

4Driver4 11-21-2006 10:41 AM

You could also try bleeding from the lines.

Certainly not the best solution, but it might work. Just crack the line where it goes into the caliper. You can bleed out air in the line, but not in the caliper.

c4S6 11-21-2006 10:49 AM

BTDT with rears...

I had two bad caliper piston seals on ChickAAN Cordon Bleu... Someone got the benefit of the new calipers I put in the rear of that car. ;^)

Seems the fronts are less prone to failure. Maybe just replace the valve screws on the front ones and try it again. How bad are the brake hoses?

UrScubed 11-21-2006 10:53 AM

I'd try grinding new flats on the bleeders as c-money suggested. You can also drill them out...

which can be a nasty job, but it might be the only way to save the calipers if they're otherwise good.

My plan B would be to source a good used set, since G60's are pretty indestructible if the fluid is changed reasonably often- I'd be surprised if there wasn't a set floating around on the list somewhere.

SoSlow 11-21-2006 11:00 AM

your sig looks incredible. may I have a high-res version?

SilberUrS6 11-21-2006 11:02 AM

I've got a used set.

I figured that if I ever sold the car, I'd put the G60s back on and sell the BBK separately.

E-mail me, and we'll deal.

SilberUrS6 11-21-2006 11:03 AM

Drilling...

...with a reverse bit might be slightly less that a total PITA.

Just a suggestion.

|skolnick 11-21-2006 11:03 AM

I wish but this is actually for a 90q. Bleed screws would be upside down with UrS4 G60's.

|skolnick 11-21-2006 11:04 AM

Brake hoses are fine.