Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Help 95 s6 poping ecu fuse no start ;(

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help 95 s6 poping ecu fuse no start ;(

Hello
So my car was dead used my jeep to jump start the car just turned over and over would not start I used the under the hood method . Check and I have no fuel and no spark . The ecu fuse was blow. The red one under the passenger foot well also the 15 amp on the passenger side kick was blown I replaced both. When I replace the ecu it pop instantly but I found if you pull the ecu out the fuse dose not pop. I disconected all conictors under the hood and stell no luck car had a new egnition puttin in last year and car has ls2 coil pack kit along with Audi Motorsport 285 hp chip in it as well. I'm really stumped any help would be amazing
Old 11-10-2011, 10:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The red fuse is the constant power fuse, as explained HERE. You either have a dead short inside the ECU or in the wiring suppling the power to it.

Here is information regarding the ECU pin-out. Pin 18 is the power supply controlled by the fuse in the red holder.

The fuse in the passenger side kick panel is the S73 fuse which controls power to the oxygen sensor. Is there a chance that your passenger side carpet is wet, i.e. water got into the ECU and into the kick panel area?

Last edited by UrS4boy; 11-10-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default No

No , As far as I know there has not been any water. The car has been inside. I did a head gasket and after everything got put back together the battery was dead. At first the car did start .then I shut it off and put on the front clip then when I Went to start it to move it it just wold crank over (i did have to jump it the second time) I looked at the timing all looks good then I looked at the ecu fuse and saw it was blown. I think the ecu is bad . My buddy has a 96 s6 and we are going to try my ecu in his car. What gose bad in the ecu ? I read something about jump starting the urs4/6 can pop the ecu and some company shadow tree I think can fix them. I checked the ecu and can not see any damage to it. Thanks for the help
Old 11-11-2011, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Close. Not Shadow Tree. ShadeTree. Steve Eiche in Arvada CO. He has save many dead ECUs but he can not guarantee that yours will be one of them. But you should give it a try.

Not sure what your ECU in your buddies 96 UrS6 will prove. It will probably just pop his red fuse. (But if it doesn't, that will mean your ECU is fine and your wiring is the problem). Good luck.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your buddy in town has an S6? How fortunate. I was concerned there might not be many cars in Montana for you to turn to for help. There is a guy on quattroworld that lives in Helena.

Improper jump starting can damage the ECU, but that does not usually make it continue to blow the fuse after that; the ECU is just dead. My neighbor put a starting cart on his car backwards for about 20 minutes and it only blew the ECU and radio fuses; Changed the fuses and everything worked fine except the battery, which was toast.

I think you have picked the correct test action by trying your ECU in the other car. I would not be comfortable putting my ECU in your car just yet.

Shorting coils sometimes causes these problems, but with the aftermarket system, that is probably not it. Look at the wiring to make sure you have not damaged anything during your recent work, but I can't think of where else to go except to make a general inspection of your work and the wiring on the engine looking for any damaged wiring that may be shorting out or any wrong connections.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

There is actully a few here. 3 urs6 and 2 urs4 and then we a have 4 200s . He works nights so it's hard to meet up and test dose any one know what gose bad in the ecu ? Also dose any one have shade trees number there site is down or not working . Thank you.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Shade Tree Software 303-940-2468

9655 W 69th Ave, Arvada, CO 80004
Old 04-29-2012, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by UrS4boy
Shade Tree Software 303-940-2468

9655 W 69th Ave, Arvada, CO 80004
FWIW, Shade Tree Software, LLC is no more. That was our diagnostic tool business, which we have shut down. My new company is Qmulus Technology. The contact info is the same and email will work for another year perhaps, but it will change as well as I get the new web site up and running.

As for the guy above, montanarally, he ended up sending me his ECU, which I repaired and returned. He, however, decided not to pay his bill and won't return calls, check is in the mail, "oh, you never got the PayPal payment I sent", etc. I am SERIOUSLY considering no longer doing any work for "end users" as 95%+ of my business is business to business and the 5% that comes from others ends up to be most of my headaches. I've been repairing these ECUs for years, but this kind of stuff really makes me reconsider. On these repairs, I already charge much less than what I bill out my time for other work more as a service to the community, and yet some people still take advantage...

Last edited by urq20vt; 04-29-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That sucks, Steve. I feel crappy for having given advice to one of those. What town in Montana was this guy in? Some of the other forum members might like to know this.

I would hope you can continue to service ECUs and sell a few chips, too. I see no reason for you to work below the market price, though. Maybe an upfront charge could help, with final before return shipping. Many companies that provide good services to this community don't send goods that are not paid for. Or, maybe you can find a middleman like Mark Swanson to do the money collecting.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Sorry to hear that Steve. I feel a bit guilty/used for sending him to you. If I had known that he would welch on the paying part, I would have never tried to help him. Always one rotten apple has to spoil the barrel.

As per Tom G. (scarman)'s comments, maybe you need to have either bucks up front, e.g. $200 for a retainer, and the difference refunded or invoiced and paid before you return the repaired ECU.

I will put the word out about montanarally (first name, and last name initial would be helpful) on the other UrS forums. Maybe we can shame him into paying up.

Quick Reply: Help 95 s6 poping ecu fuse no start ;(