metallic clanking coming from underneath car - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi Original "S" Cars
Reload this Page >

metallic clanking coming from underneath car

Notices
Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

metallic clanking coming from underneath car

Old 08-05-2018, 09:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default metallic clanking coming from underneath car

Hello all,
I've got a metallic clanking coming from under the car when I'm driving. It is speed dependent (slower clank at lower MPH), does not seem to matter what gear I'm in. It also seems to go away past 30mph or so. That might be because wind drowns it out. It also happens ONLY in gear; if I pop it in neutral and engage the clutch, the noise is gone. It's only there in gear and rolling. In any case, attached is a video of the sound. I asked for help in another forum and they suggested carrier bearing, but I've just come from underneath the car, and the carrier bearing seems to be fine. I can hear the sound by rotating a wheel with all four off the ground, rocking the wheel back and forth. Underneath the car, I found that it seems to be coming from the very back of the transmission, where the driveshaft is attached.

Can anyone give me a definite answer on what that part is and maybe how to replace it? Thanks!
Old 08-05-2018, 03:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/596...int-893521100/

Update: I think it might be the CV joint on the front end of the drive shaft. I found this while googling and it fits. Can anyone confirm?
Old 08-06-2018, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Brakes

It has something to do with the braking system. Mine does the same after 25 MPH every time.