Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

New guy with a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 05:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy with a few questions.

Hey guys, I just recently purchased a 95 S6 avant and even though the car is in amazing shape, it is a 20 year old car and needs a few little things taken care of. Hoping someone here could help point me in the right direction.

For starters, my reverse lights didn't work. Did a quick search and saw a common problem is the wires get cut going to the hatch. Did a little investigating and saw that some of the wires were indeed severed. Did a quick splice and solder and everything seems to be working again. Everything but the passenger side reverse light. Upon further investigation, the bulb holder and the harness that plugs into it is very corroded and doesn't seem to be working. Where can I acquire a new bulb holder and harness?

Secondly, the cigarette light is very lose. Any time I put my phone charger in, the first bump I hit and it falls out. Is there a fix for this or just get a new one? If so where can I get one.

And just for fun, the day I brought her home....

Old 08-07-2015, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is some info for you:

1. At some point, the automotive industry changed the size of the cigarette lighter sockets, from the larger size that you have to the smaller size that is now available and cell phone chargers now expect. As a result, there is nothing wrong with your cigarette lighter, it is just larger than what the cell phone charger expects. Not sure but I assume somebody must make an adapter that fixes this problem. I know there are adapters that go from the cigarette lighter to USB style plugs to permit "normal" cell phone charger plugs. See photo below

12-volt cigarette lighter receptacle and plug, size A

Receptacle inside diameter: 20.93 - 21.01 mm (median 20.97 mm)
Plug body diameter: 20.73 - 20.88 mm (median 20.805 mm)
Most often used in American automobiles

12-volt cigarette lighter receptacle and plug, size B

Receptacle inside diameter: 21.41 - 21.51 mm (median 21.455 mm)
Plug body diameter: 21.13 - 21.33 mm (median 21.18 mm)
Most often used in European automobiles, and sometimes as a second socket in American automobiles expressly for DC power connections.

2. The hatch wiring is always an issue with the older avants because of the stress at the hinge point, the wires fatigue crack and break. You will just have to find and repair these breaks as time goes on. Here is a link to a hatch wiring post that I did back in Oct. 2013 (found by searching this forum on "hatch wiring"): https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...iring-2855521/

As for the reverse light socket, there must be a water leak somewhere or your hatch is rusted out because normally they stay dry and do not corrode. You can either try removing the socket and cleaning it up or getting one from a wrecker or try buying new. The PNs for the grey and black rear taillight lamp holders are shown as Items 6 and 7 at the very handy website linked below.

Assuming that what you want is the black lamp holder, Item 7 below, the PN is 893945265B . ECS Tuning says they have them (or can get them): Search SiteSearch 893945265B - ECS Tuning

Here is the parts diagram website:

brake, turn signal and taillights Audi A6/S6 quattro (A6Q) 1995 year Audi USA 945010

Old 08-07-2015, 06:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you for the help. That page will come in handy in the future.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by This_Fuggin_Guy
Thank you for the help. That page will come in handy in the future.
The website, which I have named "Ekaterina" has links to all sorts and ages of Audis. You can also change from USA to Europe to check European Part numbers. Downside is lots of the parts for our UrS4s and UrS6s are going NLA, i.e. no longer available.

Ekaterina: parts catalog Audi USA, original Catalog Audi, online catalog Audi USA, Car catalog Audi
Old 08-08-2015, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by UrS4boy
The website, which I have named "Ekaterina" has links to all sorts and ages of Audis. You can also change from USA to Europe to check European Part numbers. Downside is lots of the parts for our UrS4s and UrS6s are going NLA, i.e. no longer available.

Ekaterina: parts catalog Audi USA, original Catalog Audi, online catalog Audi USA, Car catalog Audi
I'm curious where you think the point of no return is for us owners without room for a parts car, ability to fabricate our own parts and so on. Right now it seems like I can get what I need OEM as far as hoses, tensioners, coils etc etc.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by moorewr
I'm curious where you think the point of no return is for us owners without room for a parts car, ability to fabricate our own parts and so on. Right now it seems like I can get what I need OEM as far as hoses, tensioners, coils etc etc.
It's getting very very close to a problem. There is still Audi Tradition but they are not shipping to the USA and their prices are high. Aftermarket is still supplying parts (but at a lower quality (won't last as long) as the OE parts).