Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Re-finishing wheels with a powder coat, thoughts and suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 06:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-finishing wheels with a powder coat, thoughts and suggestions?

I'm planning to re-finish the original Fuchs wheels on my S4. My primary concerns are what the closest match would be in terms of the original color and how close the paint on the center caps will match the powder coat. The plastic center caps will need to be wet-sprayed and it would really stink if there were a color discrepancy between them and the powdercoated wheels.

I'm looking to go with a generic color dubbed "wheel silver" because I'm guessing it will be an easy color to match for the center caps. I have amassed no less than eight extra center caps with good silver trim; the Audi logos on my current caps are slowly disintegrating.

For those of you who have re-finished your wheels, what color did you use and how did they turn out? I read some stories in the archives and some looked great but I remember one horror story where the coat did not cure well. The wheels will be sandblasted first and I'm concerned the sand will build up in nooks and crannies as they did on the wheels of a Citroen DS that have been powder coated. Also, does anyone have any ideas for a good tape to use to mask off the black plastic piece with the Audi logo on the center caps for the wet-spray. I know it all sounds a little trivial but I've been collecting center caps for months!

EDIGREG, your Wheel Gallery has been a real help in deciding which wheels to consider. Big thanks to you wherever you are in the forum bonanza.

- Zane
Old 03-22-2009, 07:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just had my wheels painted by my bodyshop...

I work at a dealer and our bodyshop recently decided to start painting wheels. I picked up a used set of B7 A4 S-line/RS6 5-spoke style wheels. I had them paint/bake them in Porsche Meteor grey with a satin clearcoat. They turned out beautifully! The color is a dark grey without the blue tint that many greys have. And the Porsche paint doesn't clash with the oem grey color centercaps. I thought about powdercoating, but ended up going the paint route. I couldnt be happier with how they turned out. They are, however, not anywhere near the light silver they were originally - just in case you want to stick with the original silver shade...