Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

e-brake light on dash flickering

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default e-brake light on dash flickering

A couple of days ago the "Brake" light in the center of the instrument panel started randomly flickering on and off while driving.

It's always taken a couple of seconds to shut off after releasing the e-brake, but now it's just randomly coming on and flickering a bit like there's a bad connection somewhere and then going out again.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 12-13-2011, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Probably a bad connection. Here is a diagram that shows the location of the switch (plunger type, needs handle all the way down to turn off). Item 14 lower left side of diagram.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Dave!

Looks like I have something to work on Saturday morning.

Appreciate the help and the detailed graphic.

Cheers,
Bill
Old 12-14-2011, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That makes sense for a cause of the flickering light. But, if it does not turn out to be the problem, check your owners manual for the other possible causes for that light. That delay in the light going out in the morning is probably not caused by this switch, and fluid levels could also cause the intermittent light.

The brake light is not an "e-brake" light only, but has multiple inputs that indicate serious problems, so it should never be ignored. Assuming you know the cause could be a deadly mistake.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 160 Likes on 115 Posts

That light also indicates issues in the regular braking system. Sometimes it is the level sensor in the brake fluid reservoir. The delay in turning off in the morning is because the check valve in the pressure reservoir is leaking, no danger, it just means it takes longer to pressurize the system after sitting.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have a similar issue.

My brake light comes on when I hit a bump, like coming out of my driveway.
It will go back out after a few minutes, but at low speeds it happens fairly often.

Does not seem to happen on the highway over ruff pavement or bridge bumps however.

Its been like this for 2+ years, since I bought it. Does not seem to be getting worse.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sounds like the issue I had.. Read my post on 6-12-2011. Bad/old solder, i've encountered it all over my instrument cluster.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Nice. I'll check it out.

----------------------------------------------------------------
-- Brake Bulb Malfunction Issue Solved! --
Recently my 93 S4 started inconsistently trying to tell me there was a brake bulb malfunction, which was not the case. Both had just been replaced. I changed out the lamp control module, with no results. Same irregular warnings here and there. I had recently fixed my oil gauges with a quick few dabs of solder. Thought possibly cracked solder joints on Auto Check plug? Which was the case. Pins 1 and 2, on the 14 pin black connector on the back of instrument cluster are the pins that connect the lamp control module. Pin 1 had a hair line crack at its junction with the board which I could barely see with the naked eye. So I tapped both with a quick reheat and a dab, among others that looked questionable. Problem fixed! Hasn't flashed or blinked since.. Good Luck.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
That light also indicates issues in the regular braking system. Sometimes it is the level sensor in the brake fluid reservoir. The delay in turning off in the morning is because the check valve in the pressure reservoir is leaking, no danger, it just means it takes longer to pressurize the system after sitting.
Do you know if the check valve can be easily replaced? Do you have a part number by chance?

J
Old 12-19-2011, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The check valve is internal to the brake accumulator and not a replaceable part.

Quick Reply: e-brake light on dash flickering