Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Seeking opinions (can of worms, but I'm curious...) on colour choice

Old 05-21-2005, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking opinions (can of worms, but I'm curious...) on colour choice

Hello everyone,

Let me (re)introduce myself. My name is Erik, I joined about a year ago when I found a 1994 blk/blk Canadian car with 227K. I drove a 1990 Volvo 740T wagon for 3 years, sold it for roughly 80% of the cost of the S4 (delivering car on Tuesday, picking up the S at the same time).
You might be asking yourself how in the world I managed to find a car and buy it a year later... it's a long story, bottom line is that I'm friends with the staff at a local used car lot who took this in on trade against an All-Road. They were going to wholesale it, but called me first knowing I'd froth at the bit for the opportunity. I've brought in a fair amount of business over the past 6 years and with a bit of a deposit they have been more than gracious!
The issue is this: the car is in good mechanical condition (driven it roughly 400Km over the past year to make sure things didn't settle too much) but needs body work. There are rust spots in a few random spots all over the car. Some bigger than others, the only penetration is on the hood (that's a great sentence). I've recently been hired to manage the detailing business within a bodyshop and as such will have access to the 'full treatment' at a much-reduced cost. Providing most of the labour will help as well. With primer spots all over the car I'll be preparing to paint the whole thing, and am debating if I should *gasp* change the car's colour? I absolutely loathe the thought of a brand-new black paint job... I want to spend most of my time driving/tweaking the car, not cleaning it.
It gets more interesting when comes time to debate if I should at least stick to a factory/model appropriate colour, or simply document the entire process (rust-paint sealer) and go with something in a charcoal/graphite type metallic. I'll document it either way I suppose... I realize how rare these cars are and are curious as to your 'convictions' to preserving the model... regardless, I await your thoughts. Pictures to follow.

Cheers,

Erik

ps. Just remembered... the car has new winter tires on the stock 16x8's (fuchs right?) so I needed to figure something out wrt tires. Anything decent is going to run me at least $800, and I found a set of 17x8 OZ Racing Saturn 6-spokes, powdercoated anthracite, 3K on Firehawk SZ50 EPs for about 50% more. These came off of a buddy's 93 S4... He even had Audi centrecaps installed
Old 05-21-2005, 10:26 PM

Keep it black!
Old 05-22-2005, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Ditto, black is really nice... you might want to 3M the front to keep the chips away

or go green (Forest or Emerald) and join the masses ;-)
Old 05-22-2005, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

the car already had a coating on the front end...the hood rusted underneath the existing coating...
Old 05-22-2005, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default wow... that sucks! too bad you can't get Audi to warranty it.

Black is still one of the nicest looks on this car...I'd stick with original unless you plan to strip every little nook and cranny...
Old 05-22-2005, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Black IS hard to keep clean. If you are changing go Europa Blue, Cyclamen or Cashmere. They..

are rare colours and would be somewhat easier to keep clean than black. Pearl white is popular with some (but not me). IF you do change colour. Only do it with the glass and trim out (interior and trunk). I wouldn't try to change the colour of the engine bay (WAY too much work).

Where are you in Canada? (Have I asked you before??)

Dave (Vancouver) F. (with S-car contacts in Alta, Sask, Ont and Quebec)
Old 05-22-2005, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Black is hard to keep swirl marks out of.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:50 PM

Default Pearl

I love pearl. Especially with the black interior.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: wow... that sucks! too bad you can't get Audi to warranty it.

you'd be surprised... I went to the dealership last summer when I first looked at the car, they said they'd do the hood for sure, and maybe a door (it's not that bad, pictures will explain well... tuesday ). We're past the 10 years now unfortunately, meh.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Decisions decisions...

Thank you all for the replies!

Europa and Cyclamen are both very nice colours. I'd love to change to either of them but would hate to still have some black showing. Same with Cashmere, except I find from the pictures I've seen that it has a bit of a purple 'tinge' to it... doesn't really do it for me. I'm talking myself out of changing the colour more and more by the minute. Would never be perfect, and that's worse than a swirled black paint job. While discussing this seemingly trivial question with my roommate, he suggested what appears to be, at the very least, an interesting thought:
Brilliant Black base with a dark charcoal metallic in the clear. Kinda like a black and white photo of Candy Apple Red. The idea is that it would seem black unless under the sun or bright light, where the metallic would stand out. Yea or Nay? Seems like the best of both worlds, in the sense that: A) where there isn't metallic it'll still be Brilliant Black so the contrast would be minimal at best; B) the metallic would 'take the edge off', if you will, as far future imperfections are concerned (can't tell if I'm spinning myself into thinking it'll make a difference or not, lol).

Discuss

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Seeking opinions (can of worms, but I'm curious...) on colour choice