Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

AWD dyno in Chicago and warm start/fuel issue

Old 01-24-2014, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD dyno in Chicago and warm start/fuel issue

I've only posted a few times and so I apologize if these has been covered before but I could not find via search. I did some minor modifications to my 1995.5 UrS6 Avant over the past year and it runs pretty good for the most part. Most updates are listed in my garage on this site, but here are the engine mods (90% of them from 034 Moto)

3" SS Exhaust (Header, Downpipe, etc.) Chip, 550CC Injectors, Intake, GT28RS Turbo, 2.0T FSI Coils & Harness Pack, RS2 High Output Manifold

I have 2 questions for the group:

Where is a trustworthy AWD dyno and/or Audi tuning shop in the Chicago area? I'm up north and suppose I could ask the guys at the Audi Exchange dealer, but if anyone knows one, I'd appreciate a recommendation.

This may be one for UrS4boy considering the electrical modifications involved:

My second question relates to a restart issue I've been experiencing since upgrading the coil packs. The car fires right up (even in this cold weather) after sitting for as long a week. But if I drive it for 20 minutes, park it for 20 minutes and try to restart, it behaves much differently. I have to crank on the starter, sometimes multiple times and pump the gas, etc. before it fires and stays running. Behaves like my 1970 Firebird when it used to flood... Fuel pressure issue perhaps? I'm at a loss, which is in part why I could use a tuning shop.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-25-2014, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheato
This may be one for UrS4boy considering the electrical modifications involved: My second question relates to a restart issue I've been experiencing since upgrading the coil packs. The car fires right up (even in this cold weather) after sitting for as long a week. But if I drive it for 20 minutes, park it for 20 minutes and try to restart, it behaves much differently. I have to crank on the starter, sometimes multiple times and pump the gas, etc. before it fires and stays running. Behaves like my 1970 Firebird when it used to flood... Fuel pressure issue perhaps? I'm at a loss, which is in part why I could use a tuning shop.
Thanks in advance!
Someone who definitely knows their UrS4/S6s and has a shop in the Chicago area is Scott Justasson (qshipq) on most forums, including the Audifans S-car forum (where you will be able to find his email address). I do not know what the name of his shop is but he's been around UrSs longer that I've owned my 93 UrS4 (since 98).

As for the hot/warm start issue, after removing and replacing my intake manifold in order to replace the injector inserts, my RS2'd UrS4 on Red-topped TFSI (or V8) 115E coil packs is doing exactly the same thing. I have asked for suggestions elsewhere and the replies included fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump, etc. Although I have purchased a new fuel pump and a new fuel pressure regulator, I have not installed them (yet) because the car starts perfectly when cold (ambient - unheated garage). I need to check the vacuum and ground connections that I messed with when I removed the fuel rail and intake manifold. There was also a leaky injector suggestion but I had all of the RS2 injectors cleaned and blueprinted with new parts when I had the intake off so I don't think that is the issue.

Sorry, but I had to laugh on your "pumping the gas" comment. There is no accelerator pump ala 4 barrel carburetor so all you are doing is opening and closing the throttle plate, no squirts of fuel. That said, I have found (by trial and error), that I can get it to restart warm faster if I open the throttle a tad while cranking - which does play to the leaky injector idea. I've got my 94 S4 V8 avant back (1 of 1 in NAmerica) so the UrS4 AAN car is sitting. When I get a chance, I'll start in on it.

Let us (me) know how you progress on this.

(A dyno will not help you figure this out so save your money there)
Old 01-25-2014, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Small (Audi)world... Scott was my instructor at an Audi track day at Blackhawk about 9 years ago when I still had my '98 A4. He took me on track in his dk blue Ur a few times. Bone stock, very impressive, as was his driving. Taught me left foot braking in my car that cut several seconds at that venue over time. I'll look him up.

The dyno question was geared towards several issues/questions I have about the car since I installed everything. When 034 did the chip tuning, Sam recommended final programming with the aide of a dyno. I had the car on the track last fall, and under hard acceleration, it had a loss of power between 3-4k, during spool-up. I don't feel like the setup is dialed-in, so it's more about having a professional tuner along with a dyno, neither of which I claim to be or possess.

Yep, you got me on the pumping the throttle during frustrated re-start attempts I try everything when it barely catches, then dies. Sometimes I try turning up the stereo to see if that helps!

94 S4! I've got to see that someday, where are you based?

Found this ad the other day, but the guy won't reply to my email. Thought it might make a good parts car, excluding the bullet holes (I believe him about those based on where he lives BTW):

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4298232385.html