Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

for those of you who bought P/S pump rebuild kits, where did you get them?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default for those of you who bought P/S pump rebuild kits, where did you get them?

The usual sources (blauparts, FAP99) can't get the kit.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re:that's a dealer item.. 035 198 049A.

Originally posted to the 20vList by Brian Powell, Jan 22, 2004:
The PS Pump on the 20v and urS cars is the same with different belts. The rebuild is straight forward and not complicated. The only difficult part is removing the pulley from the shaft (it is of triangular shape) and finding a hydraulic press to push the pulley back on.
Purchase a seal kit from Audi, Part number 035 198 049A. This may be listed as for the s-car, but, as stated, it is for a 20v'er as well.
To remove the pulley from the shaft, I used a standard pulley puller and pig iron to allow a straight puller to attach to a triangular shape. Heat up the pulley with a torch (you don't care about that old seal anyhow) and start using the puller to get it off. It takes a little time, but, it will come off. Replacement of the shaft seal is straight forward during the rebuild of the internals (see below) as the shaft slides out from the interior. Once you get everything rebuilt, do not reattach the front half, you need to press the pulley back on by securing the shaft and using a hydraulic press (believe me, you need about 20 tons of pressure to get it back on).
To rebuild the internals, Richard Hoffman gave me this excellent writeup:
If you aren't noticing any noise and didn't run the pump dry, then there will be no wear on any of the metal parts. Should cost $45-$60. I did the disassembly in my metal drain pan as the pump is full of hydraulic fluid and this saved extensive bench clean-up.
Just so you know, the S6 PS pump uses the same rebuild kit and the internals are identical to the CQ pump. The difference is in the mounting, the pulley, and the hose connections. It helps to loosen the front/center section of the core support just to get a little more room to work on the pump. Removal is straight-forward - loosen the mounting bolts, then it has a tensioner. The belt is a tight fit between the shroud and pulley. The fittings are 19, 22, and 25mm for the hoses (if I remember correctly)
Once you've got it out, the pulley should come off first. I jammed a screwdriver through the pulley holes and used the appropriate allen wrench (5 or 6mm) and it was no problem.
Now you can take off the big mounting bracket/shroud. 3 10mm bolts
Now comes the messy part. I believe there are 4 10mm bolts holding the whole thing together. Pull apart the front section with the X-plugs first. Pull gently and gradually. Inside this section, you can see a brass ring and see the pistons as they are driven by the eccentric lobe. Try to keep the ring in there, its somewhat hard to put back. I cleaned everything out with spray carb cleaner.
At this point, position the pump so that the surface you just exposed points up. The center piece can be lifted upwards but is held on by 4 additional bolts. You'll notice a large round O-Ring here and inside you will find the RSFH. That is, the rubber seal from hell. It's shaped like a big malformed letter H and has a nylong support. It sits in a rather odd piece of aluminum. This is where it gets a little fuzzy for me. The important thing is that you note the orientation of the aluminum piece with respect to the center section. These parts can all be cleaned in carb cleaner dip or with the spray. Brake cleaner also works but smells worse.
The very bottom section now contains the vane pump for the power steering. The vanes can be pulled out and cleaned but you must put them back in the correct orientation. They can only go in 2 ways and one of them is right Basically they must sit flush with the top and bottom surfaces of the vane carrier. They look square but are in fact rectangular. It's easy enough to tell which is correct. If you put them in incorrectly, you will destroy the pump. Just take your time, make sure its good and clean, and inspect everything very closely.
Reassembly is easy. The RSFH and its support go in fairly easily. Put just a drop of pentosin on the seals and smear it around. This helps keep them soft and keeps them from perma-bonding to the sides of the pump. The large o-ring has to be stretched into its little groove as you tighten the pump down. Then, when re-installed, fill the fittings with pentosin and turn it a few times by hand to get the pump "primed"
To purge the system and ensure it is fully bled, turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock a few times with the motor shut off. Repeat with motor running, then top up the fluid. Repeat again and you should be good.
Cheers, Brian
FME, my further advice would be not to change the shaft seal unless it is leaking. Symptoms being external leaking, or air entering the hydraulic system (which also can be the fluid supply hose from the reservoir). This seal is under very slight negative pressure so has a low failure rate.
The most likely failure point would be one of the cylinder head O-ring seals on the front half, power brake end of the pump, which can be changed in situ. (A generic 2-018 O-ring, $0.10) Clean the pump and find the leak before deciding to R&R. DFI if IAB!
Just to ensure that people don't get confused. The urS and 20v cars do not use the same pump. They are almost identical in design, but the S4 uses a high pressure. The urS pump is 110psi I believe and the 20v is 90psi.
-- MarkChang - 22 Jan 2004
Ivan Demkovitch adds:
Had hard time figuring part numbers for oil hose rubber O-rings used in my 93' S4. Here they are: N-904-054-01 - thats o-ring for hose P/S -> Bomb (was $1 each, you need 2) N-904-222-01 - thats o-ring for hose P/S -> rack. This one wasn't in ETKA for 93' S4 car. Dealer matched my old one and then we found it's for 92 A10Q Those were $5 each, good idea to get pack of 10 at McMaster?
-- IvanD - 06 May 2005
to top

TidBitFormTemplate

AudiGroup:
GroupEngine

AudiModel:
80/90/CQ, S4/S6

TidBitDescription:
Rebuild the power steering pump on you 7A or UrS? car

Edit | Attach image or document | Printable version | Raw text | More topic actions
Revisions: | r1.2 | > | r1.1 | Total page history | Backlinks
You are here: Audi > RebuildPSPump to top

Copyright © 1999-2006 by the contributing authors. All material on this collaboration platform is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding TWiki? Send feedback
Old 09-15-2006, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default www.worldimpex.com can get pretty much anything...

They're local to me (Maryland) so I can just pick stuff up, which doesn't hurt, but I've gotten body parts, etc. through them- not sure if there's anything they can't get, and they're much cheaper than my local dealer who appears to believe that "dealer list" is at least 20% too low.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:54 AM

they have the kit, but the price is killer: $70! that's an audi kit for you...
Old 09-15-2006, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I've got one I never used- pulled the pump to rebuild, and the bearing was shot

Drop me an email to s dot b dot mills at gmail dot net
Old 09-15-2006, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Called my local dealer- they want $93 with "express delivery". From Zimbabwe, perhaps?
Old 09-15-2006, 11:21 AM

Default ha - now i'm paranoid about whether my bearing is toast. i'm going to pull the pump and look....

I'm going to pull the pump and look before buying the kit.

Thanks for the offer. I'll drop you an email if my bearing is ok and I can use the kit.

Dave
Old 09-15-2006, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default If you can move the pulley in and out significantly, then the bearing is suspect....

Just pull the belt cover (if you have one) and de-tension the belt so you can get at the pulley. If there's little or no play in the pulley, you should just need the rebuild kit.