Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Reprogramming key with infra

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 02:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reprogramming key with infra

Hi!! I have a problem since one year ago. I have an audi A6 C4 from the 1996, and I have a problem with the remote key. I cant reprogram it. I can make it work when I put other key in ignition to ON/RUN and make the program, it can open and close with the IRDA but in the moment I take out the key from the ignition and try again, didnt work. I supose the remote key didnt "save" in the control unit. I try with 2 control units and with another key. Thank you
Old 08-28-2017, 10:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ALEXISPITY
Hi!! I have a problem since one year ago. I have an audi A6 C4 from the 1996, and I have a problem with the remote key. I cant reprogram it. I can make it work when I put other key in ignition to ON/RUN and make the program, it can open and close with the IRDA but in the moment I take out the key from the ignition and try again, didnt work. I supose the remote key didnt "save" in the control unit. I try with 2 control units and with another key. Thank you
On my '94, a key is added by first trying (unsuccessfully) to unlock the door with the IR, then actually unlocking the door with the key. If it's not used via the IR for some time (roughly a couple of weeks) the car intentionally "forgets" it. This could of course have changed for your newer model.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Dohnal
On my '94, a key is added by first trying (unsuccessfully) to unlock the door with the IR, then actually unlocking the door with the key. If it's not used via the IR for some time (roughly a couple of weeks) the car intentionally "forgets" it.
OMG Wayne!!! I thought you were a myth. Most of us moved to quattroworld UrS in March 17 2009. Come on over.

BTW: I agree with the above, i.e. if you don't drive the car, the reprogramming is just fail and then open the door with the key, then close the doors with the IR remote and then open again. Works everytime (until the next period of inactivity).

Old 09-01-2017, 09:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by UrS4boy
OMG Wayne!!! I thought you were a myth. Most of us moved to quattroworld UrS in March 17 2009. Come on over.
I've been lurking on quattroworld from time to time. The urs4 has been pretty good for a few years and I haven't needed to ask for assistance, and what I did need to know could be found by searching. I'd never be able to keep the urs4 if it weren't for all the info you and others have posted. I'm on audiworld now because we bought an '08 Q7 and that forum is fairly active here. Interestingly, the urs4 started having a string problems a couple of months ago, and as soon as I get one fixed another pops right up. At least a half dozen problems in rapid fire succession. My wife thinks it's throwing a jealousy tantrum over the new Q7.

(Example of serial problems and using the online info: Some of my problems are in the after run system. The wiring for it just doesn't exist in my Bentley, so I was totally dependent on the wiring diagram posted in one of the forums. The power wire from under the passenger kickpanel goes to the pump, then to the thermo switch. The pump connector has 2 wires crimped under one connector, and the wire to the thermo switch just broke off at the pump. It was still held in place by the connector boot, so everything looked perfect visually. This was after replacing the turbo return hose under the intake manifold, using the online info to choose a substitute for the nla hose. Then the coolant reservoir was leaking at the small hose nipple, got a new reservoir, and the darn thing leaks where the top is bonded to the body! )
Old 09-02-2017, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Interestingly, the urs4 started having a string problems a couple of months ago, and as soon as I get one fixed another pops right up. At least a half dozen problems in rapid fire succession. My wife thinks it's throwing a jealousy tantrum over the new Q7. (Example of serial problems and using the online info: Some of my problems are in the after run system. The wiring for it just doesn't exist in my Bentley, so I was totally dependent on the wiring diagram posted in one of the forums. The power wire from under the passenger kickpanel goes to the pump, then to the thermo switch. The pump connector has 2 wires crimped under one connector, and the wire to the thermo switch just broke off at the pump. It was still held in place by the connector boot, so everything looked perfect visually. This was after replacing the turbo return hose under the intake manifold, using the online info to choose a substitute for the nla hose. Then the coolant reservoir was leaking at the small hose nipple, got a new reservoir, and the darn thing leaks where the top is bonded to the body! )
They will do that. (jealous fits of broken stuff. They are just crying out for attention).

After-run pump wiring does existing in the Bentley (I used it as the base for this annotated diagram):

My After-run pump info post has that and more (Click here)

The after-market turbo coolant return hose is a blue Gates hose (right?).

The coolant overflow reservoir is one of those things where you need to bite the bullet and buy only dealer parts. After-market stuff is crap.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Dave - That diagram you posted is the one I found and used. Seriously, my Bentley doesn't have it. Tracks 74 to 84 are all ECU wiring. The radiator fan is in track 91 and there are no after run components in there. I wonder if it could be an "old bentley, newer bentley" thing. I've got the oldest CD version. I did use the blue gates hose for the coolant return, another time the forum saved me. I thought I was doing good with a behr-branded non-dealer coolant tank. Is it a counterfeit? About 20 bucks vs. close to 100 from the dealer. I need to see how the seller responds after the weekend. I'm also in "headlight hell". I should make a post about that over at quattroworld.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 113 page UrS4 wiring diagram.

Dave - That diagram you posted is the one I found and used. Seriously, my Bentley doesn't have it. Tracks 74 to 84 are all ECU wiring. The radiator fan is in track 91 and there are no after run components in there. I wonder if it could be an "old bentley, newer bentley" thing. I've got the oldest CD version. I did use the blue gates hose for the coolant return, another time the forum saved me. I thought I was doing good with a behr-branded non-dealer coolant tank. Is it a counterfeit? About 20 bucks vs. close to 100 from the dealer. I need to see how the seller responds after the weekend. I'm also in "headlight hell". I should make a post about that over at quattroworld.
I suggest that you download and save this 113 pg. UrS AAN wiring diagram:

http://12v.org/urs/audi_c4_wiring_diagram.pdf

If you only a paid $20 and it was non-dealer you got the crap I spoke of. Usually that has been Meyle.

Headlight hell? Probably a BTDT for somebody on quattroworld. Post something there to see what others have experienced.

Dave F