Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

1 Week with the Q8

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1 Week with the Q8

Hello everyone,

Traded in our RS7 and picked up a Daytona Q8 prestige with Y1, Luxury and cold weather package a little over a week ago. Overall, I love the car, but here are some of the little things I'm not in love with or haven't figured out yet.
  • Wish there was a way to permanently disable auto/start. When auto start is active it seems to cut the engine when coasting to a stop. If you don't stop completely and let off the brake, the transmission is still in the higher gear so there is a lag to get going again when the transmission finds the lower gear.
  • At idle, there is a lot of vibration inside the cabin from the engine.
  • Wish the garage door control was not in the lower screen. Call me old school, but I prefer it up by the rear view so I can keep eyes on road. I know you can set the steering wheel button to control it, but I have that set to the steering wheel heater because I don't like having to go to a second menu to control the heated steering wheel.
  • How do you turn off the compass in the rear view mirror? I've tried the button on the bottom of the mirror, but it doesn't do anything.
  • Wish there was remote start.
Plan to de-badge the rear and black out the rings in the front. Has anyone removed the rings from the back on the taillight section?
Old 01-17-2019, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

You can move the steering wheel heating setting to a permanent spot on the lower screen. Press and hold the icon and it will move to the lower display and trade spots with another function like Sync, that is better suited to a sub menu.

Last edited by jrjunior31; 01-17-2019 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

For garage door program GPS so when you get close to your driveway the button will pop up in the upper display. It should be in the vehicle settings under garage door opener I believe.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks @jrjunior31 I'll give those both a shot tonight. There are so many menus, it seems like I go in circles sometimes.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea I was about to say - the garage icons pop up in the upper screen when arrive if you have the GPS set.

Also - as far as the compass in the mirror. Hold the button down on the bottom of the mirror for about 5 seconds to toggle off/on. I prefer it off - I know which way I'm going.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Google the subject on Stop Start. Audi has a more open system than most and there are tools or purchased methods to alter a lot of things. (Unless something is different on the Q8) Vagcom, OBD11 & Carissa are some, there are others. There are threads in the Q7 &Q5 forums that cover a lot of mods you might be able to make to the Q8. It may take some time for some of this to appear specific to the new Q8.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing I noticed is that if I put the car in sports transmission mode it seems to also not stop/start
Old 01-17-2019, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron.S
Google the subject on Stop Start. Audi has a more open system than most and there are tools or purchased methods to alter a lot of things. (Unless something is different on the Q8) Vagcom, OBD11 & Carissa are some, there are others. There are threads in the Q7 &Q5 forums that cover a lot of mods you might be able to make to the Q8. It may take some time for some of this to appear specific to the new Q8.
Someone tried the AC threshold coding trick and I believe that the setting doesn't exist on the Q8.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 707Audi
Hello everyone,

Traded in our RS7 and picked up a Daytona Q8 prestige with Y1, Luxury and cold weather package a little over a week ago. Overall, I love the car, but here are some of the little things I'm not in love with or haven't figured out yet.
  • Wish there was a way to permanently disable auto/start. When auto start is active it seems to cut the engine when coasting to a stop. If you don't stop completely and let off the brake, the transmission is still in the higher gear so there is a lag to get going again when the transmission finds the lower gear.
  • At idle, there is a lot of vibration inside the cabin from the engine.
  • Wish the garage door control was not in the lower screen. Call me old school, but I prefer it up by the rear view so I can keep eyes on road. I know you can set the steering wheel button to control it, but I have that set to the steering wheel heater because I don't like having to go to a second menu to control the heated steering wheel.
  • How do you turn off the compass in the rear view mirror? I've tried the button on the bottom of the mirror, but it doesn't do anything.
  • Wish there was remote start.
Plan to de-badge the rear and black out the rings in the front. Has anyone removed the rings from the back on the taillight section?
I noticed this and reported here...significnt at times, this has to be worked out before I'd buy one or the 2020 Q7 with the new motor.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:18 PM
f10
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I've noticed it once so far. Wonder what could be going on. My sq5 with similar engine didn't do this.

Quick Reply: 1 Week with the Q8