Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Is 2018 Q8 for me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is 2018 Q8 for me?

I’ve wanted a Q8 since the first time one passed me on the highway. Turned to the wife and said I don’t know what that was but it’s going to be my next car. Getting close to pulling the trigger now and second-guessing myself. During our test drive I asked the system to increase the seat fan speed to 2. System responded with Increasing seat fan speed to 2. I thought I felt a difference but I looked at the button on the dash to make sure and it was still at 1 so I questioned if it actually happened. Sales rep laughed it off saying it’s probably a little bug. About 5 minutes later he points out the button on the dash was now on 2. Reading reviews and problems people are uncovering and I’m wondering if I’m the type of person for a 2018 Q8. Do you folks that purchased them like being the first kid on the block with the new toy? Do you like finding the bugs in a new product to help Audi improve on their cars? Is this the profile for someone purchasing a 2018 Q8? For the most part these are somewhat petty issues but if I am going to pay $85+K for a car I want the door to open when I pull on the handle. I want all the safety features to work as designed. Am I expecting too much? Would waiting for the 2019 improve on reliability or do you think most of what people are reporting are the exception and/or will be correctable via future software updates? I still plan on purchasing the Q8. Haven't found anything I like better. Just don't want to be kicking myself because of problems. Appreciate the conversation.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

All Q8's are 2019s fwiw

Not sure what you mean about the door handle?

I've used voice controls a lot on these cars - can't say I've used the seat ventilation yet since it's been dead of winter here till recently. But I can play with one and see if it does what you described. For climate control for example, it raises fan speed while it's telling you that it's doing it, post instruction. I found it worked extremely well
Old 04-06-2019, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts

All cars have growing pains. I have access to and have read through every single TSB applicable for the 2019 Q8, A8, and B9S4, for fun.

The number of early teething issues are actually very minor, and most are addressed via software updates.

For the door lock issue, they've found the root cause and have identified a fix: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud.../#post25299691
Old 04-06-2019, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveKo
I’ve wanted a Q8 since the first time one passed me on the highway. Turned to the wife and said I don’t know what that was but it’s going to be my next car. Getting close to pulling the trigger now and second-guessing myself. During our test drive I asked the system to increase the seat fan speed to 2. System responded with Increasing seat fan speed to 2. I thought I felt a difference but I looked at the button on the dash to make sure and it was still at 1 so I questioned if it actually happened. Sales rep laughed it off saying it’s probably a little bug. About 5 minutes later he points out the button on the dash was now on 2. Reading reviews and problems people are uncovering and I’m wondering if I’m the type of person for a 2018 Q8. Do you folks that purchased them like being the first kid on the block with the new toy? Do you like finding the bugs in a new product to help Audi improve on their cars? Is this the profile for someone purchasing a 2018 Q8? For the most part these are somewhat petty issues but if I am going to pay $85+K for a car I want the door to open when I pull on the handle. I want all the safety features to work as designed. Am I expecting too much? Would waiting for the 2019 improve on reliability or do you think most of what people are reporting are the exception and/or will be correctable via future software updates? I still plan on purchasing the Q8. Haven't found anything I like better. Just don't want to be kicking myself because of problems. Appreciate the conversation.
I have owned over 8 Audi's in the past fifteen years. I have driven and had German (BMW, Mercedes, Porsche) and Japanese cars as well. I can tell you, i had more computer gremlins in my 2007 A6, then my newer Audis. Now most of the issues and minor and are corrected by software updates. My'17 Audi had no software issues. My friend has much more software problems with his'19 BMW X5, and his '19 Porsche Cayenne. I never could get my '15 Mercedes S550 command system to work consistently before I turned it in.

I have had my '19 Q8 for two weeks without any issues, my car was built in mid-February. The same software has been the A8 in Europe for over a year, so it is not a first year software by now. The voice command never worked well in '12 Lexus, '15 A8 and '17 Q7. My Q8 is much, much better.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

I have 4K miles on my Q8, no trips to the dealer. Don’t really use the voice command, but I have tried it for the HVAC and it works. VC is finicky in most cars it seems I wouldn’t let that deter you in the slightest. The Q8 is extremely solid in my experience for a first year model.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

The voice command in the q8 is probably the best I have used. Far better than than the q7
Old 04-06-2019, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the replies. I actually liked the voice command in the Q8. We test drove the BMW X7 right after test driving the Q8 and that system was horrible. Tried several times calling "HEY BMW" to get it's attention. Delays in acknowledging that it was listening so calling again and having it respond in the middle of "HEY"... Sales guy thought that was cute.. I wasn't impressed at all.. with the car or the sales guy. The Q8 recognized what I was asking it to do AND it did it. It was the software link between the computer turning up the fan AND changing the virtual button to match. It caught up with itself after a few mins so really not a big issue.. just something that made us go hummm.. We visited the dealer again today to check out the cup holders. Reading here about people changing the USA Q8 cup holders to the European version with the cover door and how the cup sizes were smaller.. Wanted to see how two cups of frozen coffee fit in the console cup holders in the Q8 and A8. Went to get into the Q8 and the seat was too far forward so I attempted to move it back. Battery was dead. When I told the sale guy he said I know.. I asked why they didn't have the car plugged in? He said he didn't know. Really? I asked if there was a battery drainage problem with the car. He said no sometimes kids turn on back seat lights but don't turn them off draining the battery. I couldn't understand his lack of attention to getting this resolved right then and there especially when he already knew about the problem. I would have called someone in service if not just rolled under the car myself and plugged it in. It's a couple year old dealership with plugs under each car. Still has me wondering...
On the positive side there is a Porsche dealership right next door sharing the same parking lot. Gave them a look see and got talked into a test drive of their SUV. Q8 was a MUCH better car in my opinion.. Wife did like the little red 911GTS but that's another story..
Old 04-06-2019, 10:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

When I was looking at Q8s multiple dealers had showroom models with dead batteries.