Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

3 Days In A New Q8...How Does It Compare To The Q7?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It seems like not ,many good reviews on the Q8 here .it looks like I should have stopped by this forum first before I made my decision. I didn't even pick the car up yet and I feel like am in a world of hurt..
Old 12-11-2018, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AntS6
It seems like not ,many good reviews on the Q8 here .it looks like I should have stopped by this forum first before I made my decision. I didn't even pick the car up yet and I feel like am in a world of hurt..
It's still a nice vehicle, but apparently just not worth the $ for what you get....I'd imagine if sales of the non-yr-1 stay slow Audi will change the options/packages to increase their value.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by AntS6
Relax it’s a very cool car, sporty, elegant, and modern. Dieselgate has affected VAG across the board, there’s cost cutting everywhere. The 17+ Panameras have a 2 millimeter strip of leather across the dash on their “full leather interior” package. The older Pannys had 3x as much leather on the dash. The Q8 Prestige actually covers the entire dashboard with leather.

This Q8 board has like 5 people on it, don’t let them psyche you out before you even get your car! Start looking up professional reviews and videos of the Q8 to calm yourself down. People LOVE the car. You also mentioned your wife has a ‘19 X5 40i, a beautiful SUV. You will now have arguably the best two SUVs in the 80-90k price range that money can buy in your garage. Life is good!
Old 12-11-2018, 09:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jrjunior31

Relax it’s a very cool car, sporty, elegant, and modern. Dieselgate has affected VAG across the board, there’s cost cutting everywhere. The 17+ Panameras have a 2 millimeter strip of leather across the dash on their “full leather interior” package. The older Pannys had 3x as much leather on the dash. The Q8 Prestige actually covers the entire dashboard with leather.

This Q8 board has like 5 people on it, don’t let them psyche you out before you even get your car! Start looking up professional reviews and videos of the Q8 to calm yourself down. People LOVE the car. You also mentioned your wife has a ‘19 X5 40i, a beautiful SUV. You will now have arguably the best two SUVs in the 80-90k price range that money can buy in your garage. Life is good!
+1 I love the Q8 and have no regrets
Old 12-11-2018, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jrjunior31

This
Old 12-11-2018, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love my Q8 and I have driven many Audi's. I'd say in many ways you just upgraded big over the '16 S6. I'm sure you'll love yours. I wouldn't go spend $ on a '19 Q7 as they are about the redo the whole front and rear end, and the interior for 2020, which won't help the '19's resale value.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

We went with a P+ Q8.

It is our 34th Audi (since 1977).

We also have had 3 BMWs.

We had, before the Q8, a 2018 SQ5 and a 2018 S4 -- both prestige. We had, on order, a 2019 SQ5 with the air-suspension -- it was slated to be in on December 5. It is still not at the dealership. We test drove the Q8 -- thinking "this is just a test drive, we're taking the '19 SQ5." We kept the Q8 out for over an hour and apparently the line of people who wanted to test drive it had grown so long that the dealer started texting us asking when we would return, they thought (as did we) that we were still going to wait for the '19 SQ5. We came back into the dealership and said "with one condition satisfied, we will take the Q8, not the inbound SQ5." The condition was that my 93-year-old mother in law could get into the back seat unaided. They said they would mark the Q8 sold (for three days) and they gave us a 2018 Q7 fully loaded to just under $79K to take to my MIL's to "test" our theory that she probably could "hop right on in." She could and we told them two days later we would go ahead with the Q8.

Orca Black
Premium Plus
Driver Assitance
Year One
Towing
Cold weather
CD/DVD
Black cloth headliner

Bottom line: $79,340.
Discounted the car $2K
Car also had AudiCare

Trade in/equity on 2018 SQ5 (with 35,000 miles on it) not quite $25K.

We will drive [the Q8] about 2K miles PER MONTH is the thing. My 2018 S4 is about two years old and has perhaps 21K miles on it (and I love that thing, still)

Our experience with the Q8 is that it is the quietest car we've ever been in including an A8 (last year's model) but excluding a Tesla which was literally silent.

Although we had dual pane glass in our SQ5 (and S4), the Q8 (which does not have dual pane glass) even at 90MPH is "virtually silent" no road or wind noise unless a particularly bad section of road is underfoot, so to speak.

Very good performance -- the Q8's V6 feels stronger than the supercharged V6 in the 2018 Q7 we had for 48 hours. Of course, the extra torque is almost certainly the reason for that.

Economy -- we drive mainly highway miles and the Q8 exceeds the sticker's claim of 22 (using the built-in trip computer).

One of the best OEM sound systems ever -- even better than my S4's excellent B&O -- way better than the standard Q7 Prestige sound system, way better.

Outstanding back seat -- "like a limo" so says my MIL (I agree).

Heated and cooled seats are fantastic -- set the fan to level 1 and the heat also to level 1 and the 17 degrees outside temp has more than met its match.

Ours being Orca with the Yr-1 package looks, according to my wife, "badass" -- I wish Audi would offer (for the small amount it would cost) the option of real, not fake exhaust tips.

Folks here have done a good to very good job in pointing out what they don't like about this vehicle.

If I had a magic wand, I would put my S4's one - piece massaging seats in the thing; the S4 has better seats than the SQ5, the A6 and the Q7 and the Q8 (in my opinion), at least my "upgraded" seats seem better in every way. I did see a video test report of an upgraded seat on the Q8 that included the massage feature, but the seat/headrest were still a two-piece affair. I've seen European spec Q8s with the same seats as my S4 and it makes me suspect they're saving them for the SQ8 whenever that comes out.

Although I am a fan of the head's up display, I don't like the look of the Prestige "leather" dash since the doors are still plastic -- it looks odd to me, somehat like years ago when "upgrade shops" would offer wood-grain contact paper applications "as if" they were a viable substitute for wood appliques on the dashboards. I would love to be able to buy, a la carte, the HUD as a stand-alone option. Maybe someday. I'd probably like the dual-pane glass, but frankly, the "standard' Q8 is super quiet, so I am not so sure I miss it, practically speaking.

The Q8 is NOT the quickest or the most nimble Audi I've ever owned -- my current S4 is both quicker and more nimble -- but the Q8 with the Yr-1 Package 22" wheels/tires, has excellent turn-in, less body roll than the Q7, and it has ample power. The RS 5's twin-turbo 444HP engine would probably be so good it would be stupid, I'd love to drive this Q8 with that motivator without having to go the full-on $100,000+ SQ8 treatment you can almost sense will be here soon.

We're at a place now with 3,000 miles on the thing that we're sure it is the product of the union of an SQ5 and A8 -- what we have here in Q8 version 1.0 is the successful procreation of these two vehicles to create a new one that has traits of both.

If the option had been either a Q8 or an SQ5, well the Q8 wins, hands down. If the option had been for the Q8 or the Q7, again, the Q8 wins hands down. Same outcome if the option was between an A8 and the Q8.

The Q8 has quickly become one of our top three Audis EVER. I think I wrote this somewhere before, although it is difficult to say an $80,000 car is a bargain, it is easy to say the Q8 configured as noted here is an excellent value.

You may have buyer's remorse -- I accept that "emotion" is possible. But to ride and/or drive in ours is to admire it and, I think, even love it.

It would be, TODAY, very difficult for me NOT to get one if I was in the market. As it stands, now I'm assuming the goodness of the Q8, notably its interior and its technology will be front and center in the mid-cycle refresh of the S4, and frankly we don't need two Q8's.

Finally, it is true that there are damn few participants here in the Q8 section of AW (compared to elsewhere, other forums that is) and there certainly are those who have some regrets. I think the Q8 is not meant to be evaluated against the Q7 or the X5, rather I think it is meant to be compared to other manufacturers' more novel SUVs or CUVs, the X6 pops into mind.

The Q8 although it has some size going for it, is simply not meant to be a "stuff" carrying conveyance. It doesn't have the hauling capacity to go up against boxier "SUVs" at similar price points (including the Q7). It is more of a sport-luxury GT SUV than I've seen ever before from Audi.

Great car, no regrets whatsoever.

Post Script: I think it is a HUGE compliment to the Q8 to speak of it and the Urus (which is 3X the price) in the same breath. Now, if Audi comes out with an RSQ8 at $150K, I would simply have to note that the Urus would likely still be around $90K more. But of course it's a Lambo not an Audi and for those who can "justify" the Urus' price tag, I say god bless, buy one!

Last edited by markcincinnati; 12-11-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I mentioned the Urus only because I saw it on the way to the dealership and took pics...the Q8 is not in the same league...no where's near it. There apparently will be an SQ8, but if Q8 sales don't do well (other than Yr-1) it may never happen/happen here.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for all the great feedback. Just got home with the Q8 everyone in the lot was checking it out. The Daytona with 1st yr makes the car. My S6 was sooo clean with only 1680 miles they already put it on the floor after we signed off on the Q8.. Still hated to let it go but I think I will really be happy with the Q8.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
We went with a P+ Q8.

It is our 34th Audi (since 1977).

We also have had 3 BMWs.

We had, before the Q8, a 2018 SQ5 and a 2018 S4 -- both prestige. We had, on order, a 2019 SQ5 with the air-suspension -- it was slated to be in on December 5. It is still not at the dealership. We test drove the Q8 -- thinking "this is just a test drive, we're taking the '19 SQ5." We kept the Q8 out for over an hour and apparently the line of people who wanted to test drive it had grown so long that the dealer started texting us asking when we would return, they thought (as did we) that we were still going to wait for the '19 SQ5. We came back into the dealership and said "with one condition satisfied, we will take the Q8, not the inbound SQ5." The condition was that my 93-year-old mother in law could get into the back seat unaided. They said they would mark the Q8 sold (for three days) and they gave us a 2018 Q7 fully loaded to just under $79K to take to my MIL's to "test" our theory that she probably could "hop right on in." She could and we told them two days later we would go ahead with the Q8.

Orca Black
Premium Plus
Driver Assitance
Year One
Towing
Cold weather
CD/DVD
Black cloth headliner

Bottom line: $79,340.
Discounted the car $2K
Car also had AudiCare

Trade in/equity on 2018 SQ5 (with 35,000 miles on it) not quite $25K.

We will drive [the Q8] about 2K miles PER MONTH is the thing. My 2018 S4 is about two years old and has perhaps 21K miles on it (and I love that thing, still)

Our experience with the Q8 is that it is the quietest car we've ever been in including an A8 (last year's model) but excluding a Tesla which was literally silent.

Although we had dual pane glass in our SQ5 (and S4), the Q8 (which does not have dual pane glass) even at 90MPH is "virtually silent" no road or wind noise unless a particularly bad section of road is underfoot, so to speak.

Very good performance -- the Q8's V6 feels stronger than the supercharged V6 in the 2018 Q7 we had for 48 hours. Of course, the extra torque is almost certainly the reason for that.

Economy -- we drive mainly highway miles and the Q8 exceeds the sticker's claim of 22 (using the built-in trip computer).

One of the best OEM sound systems ever -- even better than my S4's excellent B&O -- way better than the standard Q7 Prestige sound system, way better.

Outstanding back seat -- "like a limo" so says my MIL (I agree).

Heated and cooled seats are fantastic -- set the fan to level 1 and the heat also to level 1 and the 17 degrees outside temp has more than met its match.

Ours being Orca with the Yr-1 package looks, according to my wife, "badass" -- I wish Audi would offer (for the small amount it would cost) the option of real, not fake exhaust tips.

Folks here have done a good to very good job in pointing out what they don't like about this vehicle.

If I had a magic wand, I would put my S4's one - piece massaging seats in the thing; the S4 has better seats than the SQ5, the A6 and the Q7 and the Q8 (in my opinion), at least my "upgraded" seats seem better in every way. I did see a video test report of an upgraded seat on the Q8 that included the massage feature, but the seat/headrest were still a two-piece affair. I've seen European spec Q8s with the same seats as my S4 and it makes me suspect they're saving them for the SQ8 whenever that comes out.

Although I am a fan of the head's up display, I don't like the look of the Prestige "leather" dash since the doors are still plastic -- it looks odd to me, somehat like years ago when "upgrade shops" would offer wood-grain contact paper applications "as if" they were a viable substitute for wood appliques on the dashboards. I would love to be able to buy, a la carte, the HUD as a stand-alone option. Maybe someday. I'd probably like the dual-pane glass, but frankly, the "standard' Q8 is super quiet, so I am not so sure I miss it, practically speaking.

The Q8 is NOT the quickest or the most nimble Audi I've ever owned -- my current S4 is both quicker and more nimble -- but the Q8 with the Yr-1 Package 22" wheels/tires, has excellent turn-in, less body roll than the Q7, and it has ample power. The RS 5's twin-turbo 444HP engine would probably be so good it would be stupid, I'd love to drive this Q8 with that motivator without having to go the full-on $100,000+ SQ8 treatment you can almost sense will be here soon.

We're at a place now with 3,000 miles on the thing that we're sure it is the product of the union of an SQ5 and A8 -- what we have here in Q8 version 1.0 is the successful procreation of these two vehicles to create a new one that has traits of both.

If the option had been either a Q8 or an SQ5, well the Q8 wins, hands down. If the option had been for the Q8 or the Q7, again, the Q8 wins hands down. Same outcome if the option was between an A8 and the Q8.

The Q8 has quickly become one of our top three Audis EVER. I think I wrote this somewhere before, although it is difficult to say an $80,000 car is a bargain, it is easy to say the Q8 configured as noted here is an excellent value.

You may have buyer's remorse -- I accept that "emotion" is possible. But to ride and/or drive in ours is to admire it and, I think, even love it.

It would be, TODAY, very difficult for me NOT to get one if I was in the market. As it stands, now I'm assuming the goodness of the Q8, notably its interior and its technology will be front and center in the mid-cycle refresh of the S4, and frankly we don't need two Q8's.

Finally, it is true that there are damn few participants here in the Q8 section of AW (compared to elsewhere, other forums that is) and there certainly are those who have some regrets. I think the Q8 is not meant to be evaluated against the Q7 or the X5, rather I think it is meant to be compared to other manufacturers' more novel SUVs or CUVs, the X6 pops into mind.

The Q8 although it has some size going for it, is simply not meant to be a "stuff" carrying conveyance. It doesn't have the hauling capacity to go up against boxier "SUVs" at similar price points (including the Q7). It is more of a sport-luxury GT SUV than I've seen ever before from Audi.

Great car, no regrets whatsoever.

Post Script: I think it is a HUGE compliment to the Q8 to speak of it and the Urus (which is 3X the price) in the same breath. Now, if Audi comes out with an RSQ8 at $150K, I would simply have to note that the Urus would likely still be around $90K more. But of course it's a Lambo not an Audi and for those who can "justify" the Urus' price tag, I say god bless, buy one!
Nice, sensible review. This is one of things I really like about audiworld. We have some very loyal Audi owners who give balanced reviews.

Our q8 arrives towards the end of March, and I can’t wait for it to show up.

Quick Reply: 3 Days In A New Q8...How Does It Compare To The Q7?