Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

3 Days In A New Q8...How Does It Compare To The Q7?

Old 12-14-2018, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

At $99K for the Audi would customers put the Porsche Cayenne in consideration? For $99K, I would want the Q8 to have more power, perhaps the S4's engine -- at least. I mean it's not even an SQ8 which I would expect to add perhaps $15K to the price of our $80K Q8. When the numbers get THAT close to $100K, I start thinking about RS's and S's -- I know it would not be an SUV, but an S6 looks very attractive for its lower sticker and greater performance.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
At $99K for the Audi would customers put the Porsche Cayenne in consideration? For $99K, I would want the Q8 to have more power, perhaps the S4's engine -- at least. I mean it's not even an SQ8 which I would expect to add perhaps $15K to the price of our $80K Q8. When the numbers get THAT close to $100K, I start thinking about RS's and S's -- I know it would not be an SUV, but an S6 looks very attractive for its lower sticker and greater performance.

It’s hard for me to see the high 90s Q8s moving, the dealers may get killed on those cars. Considering the 8 is more expensive than the 7 it’s hard to believe there is less leather available on the 8. It seems the Q8 is 5K overpriced, and the best value sweet spot is an 80k P+ or an 83k Prestige. Those cars weren’t out there with the packaging I wanted, and I didn’t want to wait around so went for the 91k Prestige/Luxury version. The low 80s car should do quite a bit better at resale, the Luxury package is basically all dead money at trade-in. Nothing can be as bad as my Panamera on a trade though so I have that going for me.

Last edited by jrjunior31; 12-14-2018 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiclet11
Sure! Here are my subjective thoughts. Oddly enough, the Range Rover Sport (Diesel) came close. Considered ONLY because I really like my current diesel, and there aren't many diesel SUV choices left. However, I felt like I was driving a recliner, and the interior tech wasn't what I expected. The dual screen infotainment looked like it was cobbled together by two unrelated companies, and screen response was laggy at best. The interior styling of the brand lacks finesse and attention to detail. Reliability concerns aside, If I drove off-road a lot, it would be a better choice.

In considering gasoline engines, the AMG GLC63S was the most fun to drive. For me, too impractical. It has a relatively small fuel tank (I'd be fueling up every other day), and when I shopped, no winter wheel/tire packages were available. The GLE43 was dated, and I considered waiting for the 2020, but the new exterior styling didn't appeal to me, and I couldn't get past the MB infotainment interface (using what looks like it should be the gear selector). I'm part of an apparent minority that loves touch screen tech. I had a more primitive touch screen in my 2011 Infiniti, and had a difficult time switching to the MMI interface in my 2014 Audi.
I like the T/S as well, what were your thoughts on the X5/X6?
Old 12-15-2018, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jrjunior31

I like the T/S as well, what were your thoughts on the X5/X6?
First, I think the X5 is more comparable to the Q7 rather than the Q8. However ---

X5: Pros:
- Arguably a better value for the money
- Favorites buttons for infotainment
- Ability to lower rear seats from the back of vehicle
- Extended merino leather seat styling is gorgeous
- Several engine choices
- Availability of Parking Assist

Cons:
- Had a hard time getting around the fact that they seem to be a primary kid hauler around here
- Overall exterior style is that is another box on wheels. SUV style is getting pretty generic. Take away the badges and grille and it could be almost any SUV out there
- Purely personal: I don't like the brand kidney grille.
- Split tailgate: At first I thought it was the greatest; after more thought I decided it took me too far away from what I needed to reach inside the cargo area
- Didn't quite get the accuracy I wanted from gesture control
- 'Backwards' tach
- Displays don't flow across. Infotainment screen looks like it was added as an afterthought
- Would prefer NOT to have run flat tires
- Larger wheel sizes only come with summer performance run flats (according to sales guy).

As for the X6: I love the edgier (but polarizing) coupe styling of the X6 as well as the MB GLC/GLE coupes. People either love it or hate it. However, the X6 is definitely ready for a refresh. The dated interior took it out of consideration early.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the new 2020 GLE 450 is going to be the real direct competitor to the Q8...
Old 12-18-2018, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

We have now passed 3,000 miles on our Q8. I drove my S4, then I drove the Q8. I was sure that I would think the Q8 was underpowered. My drive, thanks to my wife, was about 100 miles on residential streets, state routes, and an Interstate highway. I drove at times at speeds over 90. I used the ACC and lane keeping (it is remarkably better than my 2018 S4's radar-based system). I drove in D, in S and, when no traffic was nearby, I pushed the Q8 hard through corners (we have the Year 1 package). Overall, I felt the Q8 was powerful -- not quite as quick as the S4, of course, nor as nimble -- but there is a huge difference in the size and weights of the two cars. I could easily live with the Q8, I think I would find myself driving in S mode around town and save D for the Interstate. I am now convinced the turbo Q8 seems to be able to behave more urgently than the super-charged Q7. But again, I would never compare the two to each other from a practical perspective, they are unique vehicles for two types of customers.

At 3,000 miles the Q8 has managed to feel like it has both more torque and HP, or that the car has lost some weight. If having two cars is your situation, too, I would think two Q8s would not be as much fun as a Q8 and something completely different (like my S4) -- and if you can, from time to time, drive them both, well, that's the best of both worlds. I'd be interested to read what others experience once they get well north of 2,000 miles on your Q8.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went Q7 versus Porsche Cayenne S Similar equipped with the Porsche having new 2.9 liter turbo and supercharged 440 HP motor and better leather options was 28K higher in price Built on same common platform
Old 12-18-2018, 08:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

mean to say Went =leftQ8 versus Porsche Cayenne S Similar equipped with the Porsche having new 2.9 liter turbo and supercharged 440 HP motor and better leather options was 28K higher in price Built on same common platform
Old 12-18-2018, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Richard991
mean to say Went =leftQ8 versus Porsche Cayenne S Similar equipped with the Porsche having new 2.9 liter turbo and supercharged 440 HP motor and better leather options was 28K higher in price Built on same common platform
So which did you purchase ? The q8 or cayenne ?

I looked at both as well and chose the q8 due to its lower price and more luxurious interiors.

The added power of the cayenne would have been nice though.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Went Q8 Better delivery for almost optioned as I would ordered it (no night vision) and Porsche was more dollars and March delivery. . We traded the Macan Turbo.. Audi per my wife was more to her liking She had a S550 and A8 before the Macan

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3 Days In A New Q8...How Does It Compare To The Q7?