Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

3 Days In A New Q8...How Does It Compare To The Q7?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

What DAS issues are you referring to? Thanks.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by GK12345EMAIL

So which did you purchase ? The q8 or cayenne ?

I looked at both as well and chose the q8 due to its lower price and more luxurious interiors.

The added power of the cayenne would have been nice though.
I like the Q8 interior as well, the doors are mostly plastic but I think all the talk about cost cutting on the Q8 is a little overblown. As I mentioned before the Q8 has the entire dash covered in leather while a Panamera Turbo for 170K has barely any leather on the dash. I’ve seen a bunch of reviews and don’t remember any mention of cheap materials being used in the Q8. Here’s a few examples from US World News and Report’s extensive review on the Q8...

Old 12-18-2018, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Cost cutting on Q8 comp'd to similalry equipped Q7 I and others here have noticed:
  • No exaust outlets/finshers
  • Engine losses painted silver valve covers, red coil-packs, etc
  • No seperate dimmer switch for dash lights
  • No leather on upper door panels
  • TS vs expensive buttons & switches
  • Loss of pop up screen
  • Cheaper to produce turbo vs supercharged engine
  • Sun screen now solid vs weaved...loss of light and ventilation

Last edited by RJC 1; 12-18-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by RJC 1
Cost cutting on Q8 comp'd to similalry equipped Q7 I and others here have noticed:
  • Loss of pop up screen
I have to agree on the fake exhaust. Very disappointing. One benefit is it’s easier to keep clean but I would prefer quad pipes and also a better exhaust note on the Q8. Did I notice Mercedes uses these fake outlets on some of their SUVs as well?

Dimmer switch is no big deal and may not help to dim lower than the Q8, I’ve seen SQ5 owners (that have this switch) that have to use OBDEleven to get a lower brightness anyway.

Full leather doors which is a $2500 option for Q7 in a specific color (Murillo) is that correct? That’s not ideal either would be nice to have more color options. It’s also not readily available you need to order the car. I looked at some of the SoCal Q7s and none of them had this package. I have a feeling this option should become available for future Q8s. The manufacturer makes a killing on leather upgrades so why wouldn’t they offer it?

Touchscreens are the wave of the future regardless of cost. The switches are nice but look outdated in comparison. Not sure if VAG designed the new center stack to save money or to stay ahead of the curve. In any case I like them they look great, and the response time is excellent. It’s a very intuitive system.

Im happy with the Q8 engine it’s responsive. More HP is of course always welcome, but it moves.

On my ‘10 Q5 I had the sun shade you speak of and I had to tint the sunroof. I prefer this one for heat and light blocking actually.

I don’t get a feeling that Audi has cheaped out too much yet but I know dieselgate has affected things. I’m happy with the quality of the Q8 so far and of course not everyone will agree, but that’s what makes this a great forum...
Old 12-18-2018, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jrjunior31

I have to agree on the fake exhaust. Very disappointing. One benefit is it’s easier to keep clean but I would prefer quad pipes and also a better exhaust note on the Q8. Did I notice Mercedes uses these fake outlets on some of their SUVs as well?

Dimmer switch is no big deal and may not help to dim lower than the Q8, I’ve seen SQ5 owners (that have this switch) that have to use OBDEleven to get a lower brightness anyway.

Full leather doors which is a $2500 option for Q7 in a specific color (Murillo) is that correct? That’s not ideal either would be nice to have more color options. It’s also not readily available you need to order the car. I looked at some of the SoCal Q7s and none of them had this package. I have a feeling this option should become available for future Q8s. The manufacturer makes a killing on leather upgrades so why wouldn’t they offer it?

Touchscreens are the wave of the future regardless of cost. The switches are nice but look outdated in comparison. Not sure if VAG designed the new center stack to save money or to stay ahead of the curve. In any case I like them they look great, and the response time is excellent. It’s a very intuitive system.

Im happy with the Q8 engine it’s responsive. More HP is of course always welcome, but it moves.

On my ‘10 Q5 I had the sun shade you speak of and I had to tint the sunroof. I prefer this one for heat and light blocking actually.

I don’t get a feeling that Audi has cheaped out too much yet but I know dieselgate has affected things. I’m happy with the quality of the Q8 so far and of course not everyone will agree, but that’s what makes this a great forum...
1. Exhaust: I actually do not see what the big deal is about fake exhaust. Sure, they could better job of deceptively making it look more real, but the idea of it staying clean all the time is not so bad.

2. Dimmer: This does work well in the Q7. No reason they should have not had it in the Q8

3. Leather: Actually, the issue here is the Q8 does not have leather on the doors with the Lux pkg where it does in the Q7 with Lux pkg. You do not need the $2500 Murillo brown only interior. It's standard with just the Lux Pkg and all its avail interiors. Given they are basically parts sharing interior door panels between both cars, there is really no excuse for this. Your Q8 should have the same leather as Q7s. Audi pulled a fast one here. That said, you do get the leather dashboard w Lux and Q7 does not unless that Murillo interior upgrade is selected.

4. Screens: I played with the touch screens in the Q8 and actually think they are without a doubt the best implementation with the haptic of any other car I tested after 6 hours at the LA auto show. I could easily get used to them and would take them over the current set up in the Q7. Would hate the fingerprints though.

5. Engine: Not driven the Q8, but would assume its just fine for whats it's specs are.

6. Sunshade: Did not really notice this when I sat in the Q8, but was indoors. I like the one the Q7, so might miss that a little. No tinting is needed at all above what comes from the factory. Heat is never an issue and I am in So Cal Sa Gabriel Valley where there are a lot of 100 degree days. It does not really have any transparency with the sunroof closed, but when the sunroof is open it does allow a little light to penetrate and like mentioned, airflow.

I think the biggest issue as we have discussed before is the price of this vehicle when compared to the Q7. Nothing wrong with the Q8 on its own when price is not considered. I think it looks great with Yr1 in Gray and the Navaro blue. Audi just should have stepped up a few things on the interior to make it stand above the Q7 given its cost and the "flagship" rank they want it to be. They could have done so with no affect to their bottom line and pretty sure if they had done that, none of these discussions would be happening.

Last edited by Meyecul; 12-18-2018 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RJC 1
  • Loss of pop up screen
I think we see de-contenting on many cars, and this is nothing new, nor is it unique to Audi. Heck, I miss the little side vent windows that all cars had back in the day, and now no cars have them.

Some thoughts:
  • No exhaust outlet/finishers. This is not unique to the Q8. All newer Audis are sharing this "feature". Willing to bet that the 2020 Q7 will be the same way. I don't like it either, especially on S-badged cars. (Tragic to see SQ5's with those same painted-on finishers.) We are starting to see this on Mercedes asnd other cars as well. This short video shows the fake finishers on an AMG GLE Coupe:
  • Loss of pop-up screen and "more expensive" buttons. I don't consider either of these to be a loss. It's just moving forward to new technology. On our 2006 A8L, the flip-up mechanism on the screen was the first thing to break out of warranty. I think the TS tech is more advanced than buttons, and the reason I and most other people don't use a Blackberry anymore.
  • Turbo vs Supercharged: Yes, turbochargers are cheaper, but they are also more efficient. It gets down to personal preference really, but I prefer turbo power delivery and torque.
Lack of leather door panels doesn't bother me, but yeah it's a price cutting detail. Same with the solid roof screen. (I actually like it better.) No separate dimmer switch is more bothersome, but I'll deal with it. One thing that is missing that will bother me a lot, though, is the elimination of rear fog lights. They are the best tailgating deterrent I've ever had. I also will miss the powered rear window sunscreen that I have on my A6, as the one on the Q8 is manual. Regardless, I've been fortunate enough to be able to test drive two Q8's, one for an extended drive, and was able to decide what were acceptable losses/changes/advancements before I put any money down. I can't wait for mine to arrive.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Meyecul
3. Leather: Actually, the issue here is the Q8 does not have leather on the doors with the Lux pkg where it does in the Q7 with Lux pkg. You do not need the $2500 Murillo brown only interior. It's standard with just the Lux Pkg and all its avail interiors. Given they are basically parts sharing interior door panels between both cars, there is really no excuse for this. Your Q8 should have the same leather as Q7s. Audi pulled a fast one here. That said, you do get the leather dashboard w Lux and Q7 does not unless that Murillo interior upgrade is selected.
If the all leather doors is indeed included in the Lux Package for the Q7 they definitely pulled a fast one on the Q8. AudiUSA configurator is confusing (nothing new here) the way they describe the Lux vs the Murillo. They make it sound like you need Murillo to get full leather doors...

Old 12-18-2018, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Murillo brown adds leather door tops. Lux package on the Q7 adds leather to the bottom half of the doors, center console tunnel, and lower dash (glove box area).
Old 12-18-2018, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
Murillo brown adds leather door tops. Lux package on the Q7 adds leather to the bottom half of the doors, center console tunnel, and lower dash (glove box area).
Q8 Lux Package got shafted for the lower door and glove box leather in that case. Lux on Q8 only adds leather to the center console, center tunnel, and door armrests.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jrjunior31

Q8 Lux Package got shafted for the lower door and glove box leather in that case. Lux on Q8 only adds leather to the center console, center tunnel, and door armrests.
Yup, and yet they charge $300 more for it. Though you do get dual pane glass in your lux pkg. I assume that is the front side door windows and windshield. In the Q7, I believe its just the windshield but standard across all trims.

Quick Reply: 3 Days In A New Q8...How Does It Compare To The Q7?