Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

5 Things: Q8 version

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 5 Things: Q8 version

Hi folks,

I figure I try to start something fun and see how it goes. As more and more Q8 owners are coming in with either their purchase off the lot or factory orders, I wanted to start the what are the 5 things you LIKE and 5 things you DISLIKE about your Q8?
Old 02-05-2019, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

2. Handling
3. Performance
4. Tech features (although dumbed down for US)
5. Ride comfort

Dislikes:
1. Stop/Start delay at times
2. Lack of interior storage
3. Rear view camera gets dirty easily
4. Can't adjust passenger seat from driver side (unless I just haven't figured out how)
5. Fuel economy

I had to think for a while to come up with 5 dislikes
Old 02-05-2019, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by d2000one
4. Can't adjust passenger seat from driver side (unless I just haven't figured out how)
You should be able to adjust it on the lower screen. You just click on the chair icon or picture then you can adjust it.

I do not like how small the cup holders are. My standard Camelbak will not fit unless I wedge it in there. I also dont like the placement of the volume **** if you are using the cup holders since you have to awkwardly reach around them but once i get used to adjusting it on the steering wheel this should become less of an issue.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

3. Rear view camera gets dirty easily

I saw a video review of the Q8 that shows a little sprayer that cleans the review camera when you wash the windshield. It's around the 22 minute mark in the fast lane review from a week or so ago. There's a link in this thread. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...views-2966329/

Last edited by WausauS8; 02-05-2019 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Lip in rear compartment (no more bottles of wine crashing to the ground after being jostled)
2. Large center screen (graphics crisp, look better on large screen)
3. Shortcut area on lower middle screen
4. Electric sunscreen for rear windows (great for young kids)
5. Stereo system (non-premium B&O - sounds great)
Bonus: Car is super quiet - no road noise at all - amazing. Love the auto high beams (and not having to enable them) and also that the Virtual Cockpit remembers where you left off. Wireless Apple CarPlay is also nice.

Dislikes
1. Turbo lag (worst of any Audi I've ever driven)
2. Manipulating the camera on the touchscreen (I don't know why all of the "views" are hidden and I need an extra touch to expand all of the camera options)
3. Lack of remote start
4. It's hard to tell if the car is locked sometimes - it's so quiet I'm never 100% sure that it really is locked. When I approach and touch, it's almost instantaneous unlock
5. Did I mention the turbo lag. I probably need to get it looked at as its not good and driving in S mode isn't great either the way the transmission seems to get stuck. I drove my S5 in S mode all the time on account of the lag there as well, but S mode was much better all around for that vehicle. I know I can't expect the Q8 to run like an S5, but my Q7 has none of these issues and is a much better all around drive (obviously different engine).
Bonus - trying to find something in the various car setting menus can be a real chore sometimes.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mike99
1. Lip in rear compartment (no more bottles of wine crashing to the ground after being jostled)
2. Large center screen (graphics crisp, look better on large screen)
3. Shortcut area on lower middle screen
4. Electric sunscreen for rear windows (great for young kids)
5. Stereo system (non-premium B&O - sounds great)
Bonus: Car is super quiet - no road noise at all - amazing. Love the auto high beams (and not having to enable them) and also that the Virtual Cockpit remembers where you left off. Wireless Apple CarPlay is also nice.

Dislikes
1. Turbo lag (worst of any Audi I've ever driven)
2. Manipulating the camera on the touchscreen (I don't know why all of the "views" are hidden and I need an extra touch to expand all of the camera options)
3. Lack of remote start
4. It's hard to tell if the car is locked sometimes - it's so quiet I'm never 100% sure that it really is locked. When I approach and touch, it's almost instantaneous unlock
5. Did I mention the turbo lag. I probably need to get it looked at as its not good and driving in S mode isn't great either the way the transmission seems to get stuck. I drove my S5 in S mode all the time on account of the lag there as well, but S mode was much better all around for that vehicle. I know I can't expect the Q8 to run like an S5, but my Q7 has none of these issues and is a much better all around drive (obviously different engine).
Bonus - trying to find something in the various car setting menus can be a real chore sometimes.
Big question- I ordered my Q8 a couple weeks ago. You mentioned turbo lag. How bad is it? Is it an issue when you have to make a quick jump into traffic? I have a Range Rover diesel and the lag on that is almost fatal at times... I was hoping the Q8 is a lot more sporty??????
Old 02-05-2019, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my opinion, it's borderline dangerous. I drive (almost) exclusively in sport mode now, but sometimes I forget, and it's noticeable/scary pulling into traffic. What I don't know yet is whether there's an issue with my car or it's a systemic issue. I need to bring it back to the dealer to diagnose.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

The only Turbo lag I've noticed is when using Auto S/S. The reason you aren't noticing lag in Sport mode is probably because stop/start is disabled. It's so stupid in all these new cars you're not allowed to disable Auto S/S permanently. Just the absolute worst feature ever.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am curious - has it gotten worse over time? I think I remember that in your initial post you were quite pleased with the Q8s power as it compared to the S5.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dubbrand
You should be able to adjust it on the lower screen. You just click on the chair icon or picture then you can adjust it.

I do not like how small the cup holders are. My standard Camelbak will not fit unless I wedge it in there. I also dont like the placement of the volume **** if you are using the cup holders since you have to awkwardly reach around them but once i get used to adjusting it on the steering wheel this should become less of an issue.
Thanks! I'll have to give that a try.

Quick Reply: 5 Things: Q8 version