Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

5 Things: Q8 version

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by tomk
In Europe they do have. Must be a legal or issue or too costly for US competitors.
Doesn't BMW have this in the US?
Old 02-06-2019, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jrjunior31
If not BMW I know there are some car brands that do have automated parking assist, so I'm just surprised they don't have it for the Q8 especially since they are tauting their autonomous systems. Although I'm thinking it's they intentionally left it off so they can highlight their 3d camera parking system.

Another thing I'm surprised about is that they don't have a cup holder cover in the front seat. However I've just seen a video today that did have one. Is this something only available in Europe?
Old 02-06-2019, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by NyCAudiGuY
If not BMW I know there are some car brands that do have automated parking assist, so I'm just surprised they don't have it for the Q8 especially since they are tauting their autonomous systems. Although I'm thinking it's they intentionally left it off so they can highlight their 3d camera parking system.

Another thing I'm surprised about is that they don't have a cup holder cover in the front seat. However I've just seen a video today that did have one. Is this something only available in Europe?
Yes, Euro spec only, along with a laundry list of other cool features. US is an afterthought when it comes to Audis.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In LA I never have this type of left turn merge from a stop into traffic, but I’m from Mass and I know exactly what you are referring to. I’m picturing Route 151 in Falmouth where I grew up and any kind of lag trying to merge left onto that road could be extremely dangerous. My Auto S/S doesn’t usually kick in within minutes of a cold start either I don’t think. I’ll try to test my car and see if can replicate your issue and keep you posted.

Thanks...yes, we kind of live on the edge here with some of our left hand turns. Not as bad as 151, but a challenge :-).
Old 02-06-2019, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

My wife 2017 WV Passat has it.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I thought that all the 2019 models all had park assist, at least in Prestige trim, but I agree that it's not there on the Q8 configurator. It is on the US model configurator for the B9 A4/S4/A5/S5, but weirdly not the other newer models. Folks who have received their 2019 B9s have mentioned the extra ultrasonic parking sensors on the sides of the bumpers.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, Euro spec only, along with a laundry list of other cool features. US is an afterthought when it comes to Audis.
Well damn, doesn't that just suck the nibbles out of you. I wish I could be a fly on the wall when they tried to do the US focus group for the Q8...... "No we need those cup holders exposed, so we can get our drinks directly in without having an additional step....." lol
Old 02-06-2019, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rccoleman
I thought that all the 2019 models all had park assist, at least in Prestige trim, but I agree that it's not there on the Q8 configurator. It is on the US model configurator for the B9 A4/S4/A5/S5, but weirdly not the other newer models. Folks who have received their 2019 B9s have mentioned the extra ultrasonic parking sensors on the sides of the bumpers.
It drives me nuts to go onto Youtube and see like a 7 minute video of their suite of autonomous parking packages and then not have it on their "Flagship" Q line. I mean there is even a freaking video of a Q7 finding it's own damn parking space for crying out loud. Granted, we can probably handle our own parking, but I mean if you're going to brag about the technology, might as well throw it in there at least for your top of the line model class.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

My experience with having seen how it performs in a new BMW X3 is that it's not that great. It seemed confused when trying to identify a parking space and we had to drive forward and back a few times to get it to identify the space, and when it was done parking we were too close to one of the adjacent cars and had to pull out and back in manually. I wasn't impressed. I don't know if Audi is any better, but I can't imagine using it very often.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by rccoleman
My experience with having seen how it performs in a new BMW X3 is that it's not that great. It seemed confused when trying to identify a parking space and we had to drive forward and back a few times to get it to identify the space, and when it was done parking we were too close to one of the adjacent cars and had to pull out and back in manually. I wasn't impressed. I don't know if Audi is any better, but I can't imagine using it very often.
Had it in my 2015 X5 and it worked perfectly (parallel only). Was very useful in a tight space with a big, bulky SUV. The fact that Audi doesn't include it in the US is purely financial I'm guessing, along with also not including the Auto Hold button and the cupholder covers. As others have mentioned, Audi, you don't need to make up your multi-billion dollar legal deficit by deleting available features on my US car.

Last edited by Doc H; 02-07-2019 at 06:41 AM.

Quick Reply: 5 Things: Q8 version