Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

8K on "Darth" so far

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Default 8K on "Darth" so far

We call our Q8 in Orca with the YR-1 package and the black leather interior, Darth (as in Vader.) When all bright and shiny (getting a bit easier now that we've apparently won the battle over winter) Darth is a looker -- a real badass so says my wife (it's hers, after all.) We've had our 5K oil change (looking forward to the free one in 2K miles.) The thing, as my wife says, got its first new engine (we'll be looking for another one at 10K and 20K, natch.)

Power is up, mileage is up.

We're now very very familiar with the Star Ship Enterprise dash and the controls.

I wonder why the motor that's in my 2018 S4 couldn't have found a home in the Q8 -- it wouldn't have been too much to ask, a bit more horsepower, that's all. Also, I do wish the mild-hybrid would have been given a chance to add a bit more thrust from take off, too -- but what the heck, this is a Grand Touring SUV, not an SQ8. And, how in the wide wide world of sports can another $16-$20K be justified unless there is some truly monumental grunt added? Will the RS5 engine be the chosen one? Looks like it probably will be, at least if there's an RSQ8 (with what a de-tuned Urus motor underhood?) Frankly, will the RS5's 444HP be enough to justify a price that would have to be at least $118K. This is getting outta hand. I'm so glad we went with a very nicely equipped (well, for $80K it should be) P+ with a handful of options that pretty much took it to the base Prestige configuration. If only you could de-select the leather dash on the Prestige (but still be available for those that want it.)

No complaints -- no not even our slight lament for a touch more power would be classified as a complaint, more of a question, actually. I mean, the last A6 had the then current S4 Supercharged engine installed, so what's the big deal, bragging rights? Maybe, but why?

Perhaps a lot of Q8 owners have 8K on theirs, I rather assume not, however. So, as a public service to those wondering how one of these things feels once that new car smell is gone, I'm here to tell you, it's like watching the Exocist one hundred-twenty-seven times, "It just keeps getting better and better."

No worries. Buy one.

Last edited by markcincinnati; 03-12-2019 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pick up mine tomorrow, finally
Old 03-19-2019, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you have a similar look as to what we got. I love the look of the vehicle -- I do wish there were more under the hood (coming from a Porsche Panamera Turbo) - I suppose we can always hope for a tune!
Old 03-20-2019, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea I've said before a touch of power would have been better - but I have found that as long as I leave it in S drive mode it actually has a good bit of getup and go. In regular D mode it doesn't have a good aggressiveness to the acceleration (plus I'm coming from an S6).