Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Adaptive chassis package

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adaptive chassis package

Any thoughts on yes or no for the Adaptive chassis package? I see how you can change the ride height. Not sure if that really has value in general. Plus the 4 wheel steering which I can't find a good video that would show what this is really buying me. Only feature I'm looking to add to my q8 prestige other than the Y-1 package but not sure if I want to pay the additional for that feature if it's not value add. I know I have a parent who has challenges so maybe being able to lower or raise the car would help with entry, but not sure. The lowering of the car in the back to load things doesn't seem like that much of a lowering so if I'm lifting something that's 200 pounds in the back with that extra inch matter? Who knows. Curious of others thoughts on the two features this package gives you and is it value add?

Thanks.

JR
Old 04-26-2019, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I called a dealer and asked to have 2 vehicles ready so I could drive one after the other. That helped a lot. I suggest you do the same and see if it is worth It to you.

To me the ride was fine both ways, but smoother over bumps in the adaptive (read less bouncy) but that was not what I noticed the most. Try pulling into a parking spot at a tight right-ish angle and the 4 wheel steering it was I would want out of that package the most.

I do not own a Q8 but as I was going my research that is what I found.

Originally Posted by jriker1
Any thoughts on yes or no for the Adaptive chassis package? I see how you can change the ride height. Not sure if that really has value in general. Plus the 4 wheel steering which I can't find a good video that would show what this is really buying me. Only feature I'm looking to add to my q8 prestige other than the Y-1 package but not sure if I want to pay the additional for that feature if it's not value add. I know I have a parent who has challenges so maybe being able to lower or raise the car would help with entry, but not sure. The lowering of the car in the back to load things doesn't seem like that much of a lowering so if I'm lifting something that's 200 pounds in the back with that extra inch matter? Who knows. Curious of others thoughts on the two features this package gives you and is it value add?

Thanks.

JR
Old 04-27-2019, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I had a Q7 with the adaptive chassis and purchased my Q8 with it as well. I take mine off road quite a bit and park in an underground garage. I find the lift to be helpful off road and it saved me once on the Q7 when I got center hung. The Q7 had an extra setting that could raise it another inch or two but only at slow speeds. I was able to get unstuck from being center hung with that option. Sorry to see that setting is no longer available on the Q8. I found that the four wheel steering in both the Q7 and Q8 made them easier to park than my 2013 A4 in the parking garage. It's a feature I would not be without for my circumstances.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you asked this question. I've been thinking the same thing. We took one out for a test drive but was more curious about the 4 wheel steering. The dealer basically had us make a u turn and the car pretty much whipped around pretty quick. Not something we felt we really needed. Didn't do any parking with it but from videos it seems like it would be a help. The air suspension is what I'm now curious about. Is it THAT MUCH better than the standard suspension? I agree, the few inches of high for loading didn't convince me either.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I test drove both and didn't notice much of a difference. The car I wanted didn't have it but I was scared I would want it. So test drove another at the dealer that had it. Drove same route in both and I didn't notice any difference. I had it in my previous S6 and honestly it allowed me to put it in sport mode which was a little harsh. The comfort mode to me is a little more like the spring suspension.

I wish I had the 4 wheel steering a few times making a sharp turn but not really a big deal.

I do like the aggressive look of the car when you lower the air suspension all the way down. Of course the ride is pretty harsh then if same as my S6. But looks wise the air suspension gives you the option of the lowed look if that is important to you.