Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Adaptive Cruise Failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Adaptive Cruise Failure

For about 24 hours, Adaptive Cruise would not work with my display showing an error message that Adaptive Cruise was unavailable and to consult my owner's manual. Then it started working again. I checked all the sensors when the problem started with no dirt or obstructions. There were no apparent weather factors and it actually started working again in a downpour. Has anyone else seen this problem and/or know the cause?
Old 12-21-2018, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by rjabend
For about 24 hours, Adaptive Cruise would not work with my display showing an error message that Adaptive Cruise was unavailable and to consult my owner's manual. Then it started working again. I checked all the sensors when the problem started with no dirt or obstructions. There were no apparent weather factors and it actually started working again in a downpour. Has anyone else seen this problem and/or know the cause?
I've seen it on my Q7, for a shorter time - maybe an hour or so. No idea why either, and I don't recall if I rebooted MMI, but it hasn't repeated. Phase of the moon, maybe. One of the reasons I have the opinion that iron-clad software reliability is not Audi's strong suit, reinforced by a dozen or so other software gremlins that periodically recur at varying intervals. I'd chalk it up to bad day at the factory, or random faults that just happen to random cars, but my wife's identically equipped Q7 has the identical issues. Admittedly an N of 2, but enough to convince me - it's Audi.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Doc H
I've seen it on my Q7, for a shorter time - maybe an hour or so. No idea why either, and I don't recall if I rebooted MMI, but it hasn't repeated. Phase of the moon, maybe. One of the reasons I have the opinion that iron-clad software reliability is not Audi's strong suit, reinforced by a dozen or so other software gremlins that periodically recur at varying intervals. I'd chalk it up to bad day at the factory, or random faults that just happen to random cars, but my wife's identically equipped Q7 has the identical issues. Admittedly an N of 2, but enough to convince me - it's Audi.
Thanks. Can you explain what you mean by "reboot MMI". In my case, the pro.blem continued after shutting down the vehicle and restarting.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks. Can you explain what you mean by "reboot MMI". In my case, the pro.blem continued after shutting down the vehicle and restarting.
On the Q7, you can push down the central control **** while simultaneously pushing up the Nav and Media switches and it is essentially the same as Ctrl-Alt-Del on a computer. Works great for clearing the memory and restarting the system from zero. I didn't consider there might not be a similar procedure for the Q8, but I've certainly used it liberally on both my Q7s.

Last edited by Doc H; 12-21-2018 at 07:13 AM.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Doc H
On the Q7, you can push down the central control **** while simultaneously pushing up the Nav and Media buttons and it is essentially the same as Ctrl-Alt-Del on a computer. Works great for clearing the memory and restarting the system from zero. I didn't consider there might not be a similar procedure for the Q8, but I've certainly used it liberally on both my Q7s.
Thanks for the tip!! I'll have to take a look and see if there is an equivalent on the Q8.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

For MMI Reset on the Q8 push and hold down the volume **** below the climate screen for approximately ten seconds.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jrjunior31
For MMI Reset on the Q8 push and hold down the volume **** below the climate screen for approximately ten seconds.
Thanks. I just got back from trying that when I got your message I am wondering if that actually resets the "operating system" or just the MMI. Thoughts? I was not smart enough to try that when I had the driver assistance fault. If it happens again I'll give that a try.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

Thanks. I just got back from trying that when I got your message I am wondering if that actually resets the "operating system" or just the MMI. Thoughts? I was not smart enough to try that when I had the driver assistance fault. If it happens again I'll give that a try.
Assuming it’s a software reset similar to restarting a desktop or laptop computer, or your phone.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I can certainly understand that there are customers who do not live within a comfortable distance of their dealerships, but assuming that is not the case, I would respectfully suggest going to the dealer and having this taken care of. There are, of course, software updates -- and who knows your Q8 may need one. It could also be a hardware issue -- things happen.

If you are able to get to your dealership, they most certainly would provide you with a loaner vehicle (probably a Q7) and you would at least have the issue registered.

We are a willing community of owners here, but for something this critical, I would go dealer first, AW second.

Good luck.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
I can certainly understand that there are customers who do not live within a comfortable distance of their dealerships, but assuming that is not the case, I would respectfully suggest going to the dealer and having this taken care of. There are, of course, software updates -- and who knows your Q8 may need one. It could also be a hardware issue -- things happen.

If you are able to get to your dealership, they most certainly would provide you with a loaner vehicle (probably a Q7) and you would at least have the issue registered.

We are a willing community of owners here, but for something this critical, I would go dealer first, AW second.

Good luck.
Absolutely agree, although my experience with my dealership is often a blank look when it comes to software - and they're really great as far as actual car issues. Dealerships vary, but best of luck!

Quick Reply: Adaptive Cruise Failure