Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Adaptive Cruise Failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
I can certainly understand that there are customers who do not live within a comfortable distance of their dealerships, but assuming that is not the case, I would respectfully suggest going to the dealer and having this taken care of. There are, of course, software updates -- and who knows your Q8 may need one. It could also be a hardware issue -- things happen.

If you are able to get to your dealership, they most certainly would provide you with a loaner vehicle (probably a Q7) and you would at least have the issue registered.

We are a willing community of owners here, but for something this critical, I would go dealer first, AW second.

Good luck.
Been there; done that yesterday. The Adaptive was working when I got to the dealership and much to my surprise there were no recorded faults so the dealer took no action. Not sure it would have helped, but next time I will take a photo of the message.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I have been driving European and Japanese cars for the past 20 or so years as the computerization of cars have evolved and all the major car manufacturers have software gremlins. I personally have had more problems with the Mercedes Command system than Audi's MMI technology. There is no iron clad software. Intermittent problems will not generate faults on analysis in my experience. Most software/hardware mismatches can be ameliorated by rebooting the system or never corrected. I could never get the Mercedes Command system on the S550 to work properly for the time that I had the car. I gave up after multiple dealer visits and traded in the car.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have had similar experiences with MB. I am finding Audi to be much more customer oriented and responsive to reported problems; so far .
Old 12-22-2018, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 788 Likes on 575 Posts

It's the laser scanner.

Do yourself a favor. take some duct tape, and tape over the laser scanner. I bet you $15 that within 10 minutes you'll get the same error the OP did.

Try cleaning the laser scanner. It's one reason I avoided the driver's assistance package. I noticed this on the test drive.
Old 12-22-2018, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by angrypengu
It's the laser scanner.

Do yourself a favor. take some duct tape, and tape over the laser scanner. I bet you $15 that within 10 minutes you'll get the same error the OP did.

Try cleaning the laser scanner. It's one reason I avoided the driver's assistance package. I noticed this on the test drive.
The 1st thing I checked was the laser scanner and it looked fine.
Old 12-22-2018, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by rjabend
The 1st thing I checked was the laser scanner and it looked fine.
Unfortunately all you can see is the cover. It's similar to perspex to allow the 904nm wavelength to leave the lidar scanner/emitter. There is probably a defect with the lidar scanner/emitter. Try covering the thing with duct tape and go for a drive. If you get the same error, then you know it's the lidar scanner. If you get a different error, then I apologize for wasting your time. I'm 99% sure there's something wrong with the lidar scanner unit.
Old 12-22-2018, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Unfortunately all you can see is the cover. It's similar to perspex to allow the 904nm wavelength to leave the lidar scanner/emitter. There is probably a defect with the lidar scanner/emitter. Try covering the thing with duct tape and go for a drive. If you get the same error, then you know it's the lidar scanner. If you get a different error, then I apologize for wasting your time. I'm 99% sure there's something wrong with the lidar scanner unit.
Thanks for the tip! I'll see if it ever comes back and then give it a try.
Old 12-22-2018, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Same thing happens when the scanner is covered with dirt/ice/snow, so I'm confident you'll get an error of you disable the scanner. That doesn't explain the random error posted by the OP, or why it happened without obvious obstruction of the scanner. Could be an electronic fault in the scanner, but apparently no fault is recorded by the analysis from the dealer.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Doc H
Same thing happens when the scanner is covered with dirt/ice/snow, so I'm confident you'll get an error of you disable the scanner. That doesn't explain the random error posted by the OP, or why it happened without obvious obstruction of the scanner. Could be an electronic fault in the scanner, but apparently no fault is recorded by the analysis from the dealer.
You can disable the scanner?! How? Through the MMI?
Old 12-22-2018, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

You can disable the scanner?! How? Through the MMI?
You can disable it by covering it up. Which happens naturally if you drive through freezing rain, for example, and your following radar will not work because it can't "see." In my BMW, it would show a popup window telling you your radar was disabled because it was blocked; in the Audi you just get an alert that ACC is unavailable.

Quick Reply: Adaptive Cruise Failure