Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Air Conditioning Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Air Conditioning Issue

Yesterday my car was parked in the sun all day. Temperature outside was 80 degrees. When I drove home I had the AC on just the center vents and max fan speed (6) for 25-30 minutes before the cabin cooled down and I could turn the fan speed down. It just felt like it was blowing barely cool air. German cars are notorious for bad AC but this is the worst I’ve come across. The vent placement and power of the fans is fine but there’s no cold air. My location gets to 100+ degrees at times so if it wasn’t working well on an 80 degree day 100 will be a disaster. Tinting the windshield may help some but I’m hoping the dealer can do something. Wonder if anyone else has noticed the same thing? As the summer approaches I fear this thread may get longer.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was in Savannah, GA over Memorial weekend and temps were about 100 deg. My Q8 had no issues cooling down. As I was waiting for someone to come out the grocery store I played around with the AC controls and tried the Max AC setting. It drops the temp to low, fan speed on 6, blows out the dash vents and sets the system to recirc. It really got cold quickly.

There may be an issue with your system unless mine is a fluke.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jrjunior31
Yesterday my car was parked in the sun all day. Temperature outside was 80 degrees. When I drove home I had the AC on just the center vents and max fan speed (6) for 25-30 minutes before the cabin cooled down and I could turn the fan speed down. It just felt like it was blowing barely cool air. German cars are notorious for bad AC but this is the worst I’ve come across. The vent placement and power of the fans is fine but there’s no cold air. My location gets to 100+ degrees at times so if it wasn’t working well on an 80 degree day 100 will be a disaster. Tinting the windshield may help some but I’m hoping the dealer can do something. Wonder if anyone else has noticed the same thing? As the summer approaches I fear this thread may get longer.
AC worked fine on the 1 day we had near 80 degrees in MN this spring. My experience with Audi is the AC is really good. 90CS + A4 cooled down fast. So far Q8 is the norm in my experience. If it took 30 minutes to cool down, your AC may not be working correctly. Tomorrow is supposed to hit 87 and sunny in MN. My car will be at the train station all day baking away. Ill see how the AC does and report back.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AC worked fine for me yesterday at 96 degree here in Phoenix. Although, I have ceramic tint and the custom windshield shade.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thx for the replies, I’m noticing it’s working fine when the interior is cool from being in the garage. It’s when the interior bakes in the sun it takes forever to cool. It is a massive interior and a huge windshield. I think I will tint the windshield with Air 80. Have done this on other cars and it’s a big help.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 777 Likes on 569 Posts

Go to OBDEleven. There is something I saw surrounding this. It's on the same page that shows the R1234f refrigerant or whatever. Sorry, I don't recall exactly what module (probably under electrics?) but it may be worth tinkering around.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Go to OBDEleven. There is something I saw surrounding this. It's on the same page that shows the R1234f refrigerant or whatever. Sorry, I don't recall exactly what module (probably under electrics?) but it may be worth tinkering around.
Was just looking around for a separate HVAC setting in Central Electrics (There is no AC module anymore) but couldn’t find it, and I didn’t see anything about refrigerant. I want the car to default to Air Recirculation mode at start-up. There is a button on the lower screen I have to keep hitting to make this change every time I’m in the car. The coding for older Audis is posted online but it’s weird I swear the Q8 used to memorize this setting but now I can’t get it to.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 777 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by jrjunior31
Was just looking around for a separate HVAC setting in Central Electrics (There is no AC module anymore) but couldn’t find it, and I didn’t see anything about refrigerant. I want the car to default to Air Recirculation mode at start-up. There is a button on the lower screen I have to keep hitting to make this change every time I’m in the car. The coding for older Audis is posted online but it’s weird I swear the Q8 used to memorize this setting but now I can’t get it to.
Yup, confirmed, under Central Electrics Module 9

Reduction_of_window_misting_at_high_humitity:
Matching glass temperature model
Save_air_recirculation_status:
Do_not_store
refrigerant:
R1234yF

etc etc

It's under the long coding section. There's a ton of variables to be configured. Again - unsure if it will help you but certainly worth a link, I think.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Yup, confirmed, under Central Electrics Module 9

Reduction_of_window_misting_at_high_humitity:
Matching glass temperature model
Save_air_recirculation_status:
Do_not_store
refrigerant:
R1234yF

etc etc

It's under the long coding section. There's a ton of variables to be configured. Again - unsure if it will help you but certainly worth a link, I think.
Yes, that may be it I’ll check. I was looking in the Adaptations. When I changed all my settings a few months ago I went into all the modules extensively searching for various settings worth changing. At that point it seemed like the car was storing the Recirculate mode, but now it’s not, strange. Now that more people are on OBDeleven hopefully we can discover some new tricks!