Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Already opening up

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Already opening up

400 miles on the new Q8. The engine, as evidenced by the fuel mileage now on tank #2, is becoming increasingly friction-free. What we had, at first was about 18MPG (highway). As we passed 300 miles, also on the highway, indicated MPG went to 23.5MPG. Speeds were an indicated average of 64. Top speed was in the low 80's. Same highway (I-71 North and South) same day, same weather. Also, the car feels a bit more willing to coast now. Despite coming from a 2018 SQ5 with 34,000+ miles on it, there is not a feeling the thing is underpowered. Of course, wouldn't an SQ8 be nice? But, given that this P+ Q8 was MSRP'd at $79,340, wouldn't that suggest a $95,000 SQ8?

I know, I know, "S" stands for special. But, c'mon, what do you think they'd put in an SQ8? The 444HP RS5 V6 twin-turbo? I know it's a big deal, but another $15-17K considering just how nice this Q8 (with the first year package, anyway) is, seems too much. Me? I can't wait for the mid-cycle refresh of the S4 incorporating the starship enterprise dash-layout.

Hard to -- at this point -- provide other feedback than has already been reported here. We don't use carplay, but the phone-box charging is sweet.

Quietest car, other than a Tesla, I've EVER been in.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

We're now at over 1,200 miles on the new Q8. Gas mileage, according to the car's own computer, is now showing 24.9, which is up from the last posted mileage of 23.5. There are times when we've seen an average number closer to 27 on an 80+ mile Interstate highway trip.

However, the most remarkable thing to me is the increased "urge" the engine seems to have found once we got the miles past 800.

Now, when I get into my 2018 S4, I notice its relative lack of isolation from the environment. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but Audi's fine S4 simply helps demonstrate the isolation from the "outside world" that the Q8 provides. Also, the Q8 is a wonderful grand tourer as it seems to make our weekly trip to and from Columbus (about 200 miles RT) much shorter than it was in the 2018 SQ5 Prestige. The ability to cross your legs in both the front passenger seat as well as the two outboard positions of the rear seats contributes to the perception of the Q8 being a time machine.

Here's another observation: The Q8 makes "normal" driving a much more enjoyable task. As an ideal, my favorite car is my well equipped '18 S4 Prestige with the ACC engaged and the B&O sound system playing my liPhone's library of tunes or an audiobook. But, the S4 has to live in the real world: Increasingly crowded Interstates that force somewhat slower speeds, long (10+ miles) stretches of pot-hole infestation and apparently permanent road construction as you close in on Cincinnati and Columbus (which, when completed, promise to ameliorate the pot-hole situation.) My point: Our SQ5s and S4s are a blast to drive and offer brilliant capabilities and blistering performance. Unfortunately, the performance these S cars promise, although real, is increasingly difficult to tap. On the other hand, the Q8, relatively speaking, gives up little in "nimbleness" and is about one-half second less quick to 60MPH (~100KPH). However, the Q8 is still quicker than perhaps 90%+ of the cars on the road at any given time. My guess is that the S cars are quicker than 95% of the other cars on the road. Yet, the need and the ability to actually tap the capabilities of either the Q8 or the SQ5 has diminished due to traffic, which includes a very noticeable swell of large trucks that seem now to roam the Interstates as if in herds. Blame the economy, blame Amazon, blame online shopping -- and blame $2.49/gallon for premium! If arriving "cool, calm, and collected" is an ideal way to travel, the Q8 is one of the vehicles available today that can deliver on that promise for both the driver and passengers.

Our Q8 is a P+ with driver assist, cold weather, and "year-one" packages -- it rides on 22" wheels with 280 x 40 series high-performance tires, yet it somehow manages to soak up bumps associated with the moon-cratered highways, yet, when called upon is still a capable handler with ample power.

The Q8 with 1,200 miles on it has reinforced our initial thoughts that the Q8 offers most of the features and benefits of an SQ5 melded with an A8. If you're looking for absolute performance, Audi's S cars offer performance in spades, try one of them, you'll see. If you're looking for a much larger dose of luxury, the new A6/A7s -- and, of course, the A8 -- offer luxury to spare. But, if you're the type of car customer who isn't ready to forego "S like" performance but still wants a highly-competent vehicle that is able to cover large amounts of often pock-marked real estate in quiet comfort, the Q8 should be high on your list.

The dilemma for a Q8 shopper, however, is something like the A6 vs A7 dilemma -- right across the showroom floor is an alternative, the Q7. Like the A6 (compared to its fraternal twin A7) the Q7 offers much (most?) of what you get in a Q8 for less money. The Q8 is more coupe-like, less utilitarian, and can carry less. And, if you can wait, the upcoming Q7 refresh include most, if not all, of the Q8's "Starship Enterprise" cockpit/dashboard/technology experience.

The Q8's virtues are REAL, but they come at a price that is mostly justified based on YOUR ability to ascribe "value" to the styling of the vehicle. A rough comparison suggests that the Q8 commands at least $9,000 more (comparably contented) than a Q7. Yes, the Q8 is a bit wider than the Q7, but it's shorter which reduces its cubes if that kind of thing is important to you. Yet, there's no denying the Q8 is a looker and when comparing the two Q's, the Q8 has "presence" to burn. The Q7 is no ugly duckling, but the Q8 looks like the flagship that it is meant to be (flagship of the Q line, the A8 is still the company's flagship -- and commands an even higher MSRP.)

We have no need for the extra cubes offered in the Q7 and were smitten with the style of the Q8. A nicely equipped Q8 P+ is just south of $80K, whereas a top-spec Prestige Q7 can be had for about the same coin. If you're in the market and want more utility, the Q7 should be on your short list. On the other hand, if you want some utility and greater performance, you owe it to yourself to take the Q8 out for a long test drive.

If there was no S4, my choice would be a Q8. Of course, I'm able to drive and ride in both -- the S4 is my daily driver, the Q8 is our weekend "cruiser." Lucky for me I don't have to make a choice.

If the new S6 turns out to be a better performer than the outgoing one, well . . .

Last edited by markcincinnati; 11-26-2018 at 04:56 AM.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^ Thanks for posting this update. It's great to get some 'real world' info ona US-spec Q8.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
We're now at over 1,200 miles on the new Q8. Gas mileage, according to the car's own computer, is now showing 24.9, which is up from the last posted mileage of 23.5. There are times when we've seen an average number closer to 27 on an 80+ mile Interstate highway trip.

However, the most remarkable thing to me is the increased "urge" the engine seems to have found once we got the miles past 800.

Now, when I get into my 2018 S4, I notice its relative lack of isolation from the environment. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but Audi's fine S4 simply helps demonstrate the isolation from the "outside world" that the Q8 provides. Also, the Q8 is a wonderful grand tourer as it seems to make our weekly trip to and from Columbus (about 200 miles RT) much shorter than it was in the 2018 SQ5 Prestige. The ability to cross your legs in both the front passenger seat as well as the two outboard positions of the rear seats contributes to the perception of the Q8 being a time machine.

Here's another observation: The Q8 makes "normal" driving a much more enjoyable task. As an ideal, my favorite car is my well equipped '18 S4 Prestige with the ACC engaged and the B&O sound system playing my liPhone's library of tunes or an audiobook. But, the S4 has to live in the real world: Increasingly crowded Interstates that force somewhat slower speeds, long (10+ miles) stretches of pot-hole infestation and apparently permanent road construction as you close in on Cincinnati and Columbus (which, when completed, promise to ameliorate the pot-hole situation.) My point: Our SQ5s and S4s are a blast to drive and offer brilliant capabilities and blistering performance. Unfortunately, the performance these S cars promise, although real, is increasingly difficult to tap. On the other hand, the Q8, relatively speaking, gives up little in "nimbleness" and is about one-half second less quick to 60MPH (~100KPH). However, the Q8 is still quicker than perhaps 90%+ of the cars on the road at any given time. My guess is that the S cars are quicker than 95% of the other cars on the road. Yet, the need and the ability to actually tap the capabilities of either the Q8 or the SQ5 has diminished due to traffic, which includes a very noticeable swell of large trucks that seem now to roam the Interstates as if in herds. Blame the economy, blame Amazon, blame online shopping -- and blame $2.49/gallon for premium! If arriving "cool, calm, and collected" is an ideal way to travel, the Q8 is one of the vehicles available today that can deliver on that promise for both the driver and passengers.

Our Q8 is a P+ with driver assist, cold weather, and "year-one" packages -- it rides on 22" wheels with 280 x 40 series high-performance tires, yet it somehow manages to soak up bumps associated with the moon-cratered highways, yet, when called upon is still a capable handler with ample power.

The Q8 with 1,200 miles on it has reinforced our initial thoughts that the Q8 offers most of the features and benefits of an SQ5 melded with an A8. If you're looking for absolute performance, Audi's S cars offer performance in spades, try one of them, you'll see. If you're looking for a much larger dose of luxury, the new A6/A7s -- and, of course, the A8 -- offer luxury to spare. But, if you're the type of car customer who isn't ready to forego "S like" performance but still wants a highly-competent vehicle that is able to cover large amounts of often pock-marked real estate in quiet comfort, the Q8 should be high on your list.

The dilemma for a Q8 shopper, however, is something like the A6 vs A7 dilemma -- right across the showroom floor is an alternative, the Q7. Like the A6 (compared to its fraternal twin A7) the Q7 offers much (most?) of what you get in a Q8 for less money. The Q8 is more coupe-like, less utilitarian, and can carry less. And, if you can wait, the upcoming Q7 refresh include most, if not all, of the Q8's "Starship Enterprise" cockpit/dashboard/technology experience.

The Q8's virtues are REAL, but they come at a price that is mostly justified based on YOUR ability to ascribe "value" to the styling of the vehicle. A rough comparison suggests that the Q8 commands at least $9,000 more (comparably contented) than a Q7. Yes, the Q8 is a bit wider than the Q7, but it's shorter which reduces its cubes if that kind of thing is important to you. Yet, there's no denying the Q8 is a looker and when comparing the two Q's, the Q8 has "presence" to burn. The Q7 is no ugly duckling, but the Q8 looks like the flagship that it is meant to be (flagship of the Q line, the A8 is still the company's flagship -- and commands an even higher MSRP.)

We have no need for the extra cubes offered in the Q7 and were smitten with the style of the Q8. A nicely equipped Q8 P+ is just south of $80K, whereas a top-spec Prestige Q7 can be had for about the same coin. If you're in the market and want more utility, the Q7 should be on your short list. On the other hand, if you want some utility and greater performance, you owe it to yourself to take the Q8 out for a long test drive.

If there was no S4, my choice would be a Q8. Of course, I'm able to drive and ride in both -- the S4 is my daily driver, the Q8 is our weekend "cruiser." Lucky for me I don't have to make a choice.

If the new S6 turns out to be a better performer than the outgoing one, well . . .
Nice review.
Once the Q7 gets facelifted (best of both worlds) it will be a much tougher choice.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Q8 after 200 miles feels like a different car in terms of driving experience. Much greater response and pick up and dare I say it some real sound from the engine.