Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Another Stop/Start near disaster!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Another Stop/Start near disaster!

This evening was the first time I forgot to disengage the stop/start system. We went to pick up some takeout dinner...my wife who is battling dementia and our beloved dog Buddie with me. It is in the mid 90's in SC today. I left Karen and Buddie in the car with engine and A/C running and went in to pick up our dinner. Their was a delay with our order and when I returned I found a panting dog and my wife ready to pass out in the HOT car. The car had totally shut off by itself. A very DANGEROUS situation...come on Audi let’s fix this ridiculous setup.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Did you take the key?
Old 07-07-2019, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BigBoy11
Did you take the key?
No...Key was in holding slot in the console. I normally lock the car with engine running when they are with me (have this featured changed with OBDEleven) but this is a safe spot. Beating myself up for not remembering to turn of the start/stop.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

My A/C in a Q7 runs normally when the car is parked, even with S/S engaged. And it keeps the car pretty cool....
Old 07-07-2019, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Doc H
My A/C in a Q7 runs normally when the car is parked, even with S/S engaged. And it keeps the car pretty cool....
Have you tried exiting the car...opening and closing door? I think this may be the thing that shuts the car off? Will check it tomorrow.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by skiphoyt
Have you tried exiting the car...opening and closing door? I think this may be the thing that shuts the car off? Will check it tomorrow.
Just tried it, and left the door open quite a while, several times. Continued running, with the A/C on. What I didn't try was exiting, and trying to lock the door after it closed from the outside. I did lock it from the inside after opening and closing - no change. Maybe this is something unique to the Q8, or you have something else going on? The key was always in the center console slot, so the car didn't "know" whether I was exiting the car or not - only that the door opened and closed. You can actually run the A/C in the 7 with the engine off for about 15 minutes, if you push the Auto button immediately after turning the engine off, I assume something similar with the 8.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Doc H
Just tried it, and left the door open quite a while, several times. Continued running, with the A/C on. What I didn't try was exiting, and trying to lock the door after it closed from the outside. I did lock it from the inside after opening and closing - no change. Maybe this is something unique to the Q8, or you have something else going on? The key was always in the center console slot, so the car didn't "know" whether I was exiting the car or not - only that the door opened and closed. You can actually run the A/C in the 7 with the engine off for about 15 minutes, if you push the Auto button immediately after turning the engine off, I assume something similar with the 8.
I also tried it...drove around the block, pulled into the driveway, start/stop system shut engine down, AC continued to run, opened and closed the door and car including all systems shut off. I think this may have something to do with Audi’s concern that if we exit the car not realizing the ignition is still on it will restart and carbon monoxide will be an issue.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Just found this attached post in Q7 forum...apparently this is not new to Audi.

supplier , 06-14-2017 08:21 AM
Folks, I did searched the forum, as well as Q7 manual in PDF format for words "shut" and "turn", but it didn't help. I've noticed in some situations when I leave Q7 running briefly (let's say to pick the mail up, keys with me, not in the car, but there were some passengers inside the car ) or even in some situation just parked with engine running and the key fob is inside, the car shuts off itself. this happened more than few times, but I didn't figure out the pattern. Once I was able to see the massage on the VC display something like "Auto shut off". Can anyone please clear it for me when should I "expect" the car to turn off automatically.
2017 Q7 Prestige trim
Old 07-07-2019, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

You may have hit on the problem - I don't know that the Auto S/S system had shut off the engine before I opened the door. That could indeed be the explanation, and actually makes sense so you don't leave the keys in a running car in your garage without realizing it....
Old 07-07-2019, 04:39 PM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You will contact the dealer first thing Monday am to clarify what's happening, correct?

Quick Reply: Another Stop/Start near disaster!