Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Anyone DIY Oil Changes ??

 
Old 04-07-2019, 01:09 PM
  #1  
AudiWorld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 27
Default Anyone DIY Oil Changes ??

Do people here work on their own Q8's? Do your own oil changes? Is the drain plug in an easy to access place and can you actually get to the oil filter? Kicking around getting the Audi Care program but after looking at what it provides, it's basically $250 oil changes every 10K miles. They say they check and top off fluids but aren't all the fluid levels visible via the MMI? Change out the brake fluid every 20K miles? Any idea why? If they find anything else that needs attention it's an additional cost. I don't mind wrenching on my vehicles but if the Q8 is a PITA it might be worth $250.. Thoughts? Thanks!
SteveKo is offline  
Old 04-07-2019, 02:12 PM
  #2  
AudiWorld Super User
 
J. Patterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,713
Default

I do my own services on our Q7 and S5. I buy my filters at the dealership to document I have done them. Nothing difficult about them. If you are experienced it will be no big deal. You do have to remove the belly pan unless you use an oil evac unit to suck it out. You will need VCDS or similar to reset the service interval ( I have VCDS and Carista) You’ll likely need to buy a socket to fit the oil filter housing too. I will say doing my own makes me somewhat of a celebrity at the parts counter. Apparently really unusual. Keep in mind it is still a pretty expensive oil change. My cars hold 9 and 7 quarts of synthetic. About $100. with filter.
J. Patterson is offline  
Old 04-08-2019, 02:08 PM
  #3  
AudiWorld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 27
Default

Thank you.. What oil do you use? Castrol Edge Professional in 5w-40?
Found these two on Amazon. Both appear to be the same.. One has a 501 01 added on the label. Of course one sells by the case and the other doesn't.
You would think the oil with the same name and same viscosity would be the same. Thanks for the help..

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon
SteveKo is offline  
Old 04-08-2019, 04:24 PM
  #4  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 626
Default

Make SURE you use 508.00 approved oil.

In N. America, you can only get them from dealers (AFAIK).

Castrol Edge 5w40 is NOT approved.

For DIY info, check here:

(same engine)
angrypengu is offline  
Old 04-09-2019, 07:10 AM
  #5  
AudiWorld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 27
Default

Originally Posted by angrypengu View Post
Make SURE you use 508.00 approved oil.

In N. America, you can only get them from dealers (AFAIK).

Castrol Edge 5w40 is NOT approved.

For DIY info, check here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCipB0dfD2k

(same engine)
Thanks for the reply. I found this link from Audi: Technical Service bulletin
17 Engine oils that meet Audi Oil Quality Standards 501 01, 502 00, 504 00, 505 00, 505 01, 507 00, 508 00, and 509 00https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/audiusa/Documents/Audi-2017-Technical-Service-Bulletin-1.22.2018.pdf

Does the Q8 require a specific standard or is this saying that any oil that meets one of these standards is approved?
Amazon sells the Castrol Edge Professional 505 01 which is approved in this Technical Bulletin..

Thanks again..
SteveKo is offline  
Old 04-09-2019, 07:12 AM
  #6  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 626
Default

Originally Posted by SteveKo View Post
Thanks for the reply. I found this link from Audi: Technical Service bulletin
17 Engine oils that meet Audi Oil Quality Standards 501 01, 502 00, 504 00, 505 00, 505 01, 507 00, 508 00, and 509 00https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/audiusa/Documents/Audi-2017-Technical-Service-Bulletin-1.22.2018.pdf

Does the Q8 require a specific standard or is this saying that any oil that meets one of these standards is approved?
Amazon sells the Castrol Edge Professional 505 01 which is approved in this Technical Bulletin..

Thanks again..
To be very specific, the Q8 is the EA839 engine. This engine requires 508.00 approval. Yes, in that link, any oil that has 508.00 approval is fine, but it's incredibly difficult to source any oil other than this one: Castrol Edge Pro OE LLIV FE 0W20 within North America.
angrypengu is offline  
Old 04-09-2019, 07:17 AM
  #7  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 626
Default

On this topic, personally, I'd really like to get my hands on this: https://pim.liqui-moly.de/pidoc/P004...20-21.0-us.pdf

NOACK is 10.3% or whatever. No one knows what the Castrol Edge Pro OE LLIV FE 0W20 NOACK is. I'm dying to know with the latter.

A lower NOACK number would help with carbon buildup on the intake valves for reasons I won't elaborate further.
angrypengu is offline  
Old 04-09-2019, 07:36 AM
  #8  
AudiWorld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 27
Default

Originally Posted by angrypengu View Post
To be very specific, the Q8 is the EA839 engine. This engine requires 508.00 approval. Yes, in that link, any oil that has 508.00 approval is fine, but it's incredibly difficult to source any oil other than this one: Castrol Edge Pro OE LLIV FE 0W20 within North America.
Thank you. I saw a video of a guy changing oil on a 2019 Q7 and thought they were the same motors. Q8 requires the 0w20 which is another story. Sort of making that AudiCare options something more to think about.
SteveKo is offline  
Old 04-09-2019, 11:10 AM
  #9  
AudiWorld Super User
 
J. Patterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,713
Default

FWIW our TDIs use a very specific oil also. Castrol edge professional LL03 . It is a 5W-30 low ash oil designed for diesels with particulate filters .Surprisingly I can buy it at the dealer at a price competitive to anywhere I can find it online. I just buy my 9 quarts at the same time I’m buying my filter.
J. Patterson is offline  
Old 04-09-2019, 11:11 AM
  #10  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 626
Default

Originally Posted by J. Patterson View Post
FWIW our TDIs use a very specific oil also. Castrol edge professional LL03 . It is a 5W-30 low ash oil designed for diesels with particulate filters .Surprisingly I can buy it at the dealer at a price competitive to anywhere I can find it online. I just bought my 9 quarts at the same time I’m buying my filter.
Can we please keep things on topic? I have no idea why you're bringing up oil for another car/motor, let alone a diesel motor on this thread. It's confusing as is for many car owners as to which oil to use.
angrypengu is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone DIY Oil Changes ??


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: