Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Anyone replace brakes yet

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Brakes and tire wear are dependent on the driver. I drive like I never want to replace brakes and tires. I traded a 2003 A6 with 105,000 miles with one change on tires and original brakes. When I follow a car on the highway and see the brake lights on constantly, I know they are not getting the same usage of equipment as I am.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I had 38k+ miles on my 2017 Q7 and original brakes when it was totaled. No mention of brake wear at the 30k service. Probably 90% highway driving though. When I see those brake lights on the highway, I back off until I no longer have to hit mine. @TheBeav is right. Pads are more consumable than rotors and you should get multiple pad sets from a single rotor set.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad you asked this question. I was wondering the same thing. I'm still in looking to purchase mode and was wondering about the cost of maintenance on the Q8. Was told brake jobs are very expensive and Audi always changes the brakes and rotors at the same time. One dealership said you must do fronts and rears at the same time too and because of the weight of the Q8 you will go through brakes pretty quick. Yea, that wasn't at an Audi Dealership. I couldn't understand why the rotors needed to be changed at every brake change. Never had to do that with any other car I've owned and I've gone through 3 or more front brake changes on my other cars before ever needing to replace the rears. Wouldn't this be the same with the Q8?
Old 05-05-2019, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I was the op. and nobody chimed in with a cost so I went out to get it myself. Wow- I actually took the vin off a showroom car and asked for a parts breakdown of a brake job. I was told Audi only replaces pads with rotors and sensors. The dealer will not just replace pads as rotors are a wear item and it’s not recommend by Audi to replace one without the other. Below is the quote on parts without labor at 1,672.00.

If they do the work Your looking at around a 2,600 - 3,000 dollar brake job with labor. I just thought that was insane. Audi service is steep. This alone did not drive me away but it didn’t help me stay either. These are things most don’t check before buying a car but I Heard from a close friend how expensive Audi service is and that after his first service he went to find an Independant mechanic. I prefer factory service with loaner cars. It makes my life easier.

Also if Audi care is 1000 dollars give or take a few bucks and covers 4 oil changes does that mean an oil and filter change is more than 250 dollars without Audi care ? From what I can see all Audi care includes is an oil and filter change. Top up washer fluids and check a bunch of things that will cost you extra to do. Am I wrong ?

Last edited by Jsf721; 05-11-2019 at 04:13 AM.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

WOW.. That is expensive. I watched a UTUBE video on changing front and rear pads on a Q7. Looked really easy.. easy compared to my K2500 Diesel Suburban. Rotors were held on by a bolt and one pin with safety clip to remove the pads. Rears didn't have the electronic brake which I heard you need to get into the computer to retract before servicing. Again, shouldn't be a big deal... but those parts are on the expensive side.. and you have to replace the bolt? How is that a wear item? I just checked Autozone. Nothing listed for a 2019 Q8 but fort a 2018 Q7 they have lifetime replacement pads for $41 and rotors for $71. No clue how they would compare to Audi's pad and rotors BUT these Autozone pads and rotors work fine on my Suburban and Sequoia...

I've been checking around for the best price on a new Q8. 3 dealers said they would throw in the Audi care for free as part of the deal. I agree.. $250 for an oil/filter change seems pretty steep but when you can only get the recommended oil from an Audi dealership they sort of got ya. I plan to have them do the oil changes ONLY and not authorize any other work that will cost me $. I can always decide afterwards if I want them to perform a paid service.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Once bolts are torqued to spec and removed they cannot be reused. Per Audi ***

I believe you can retract the e brake with the obdi 11 Maintence app.
My friend does his S7. And he is the one who told me how expensive Audi parts and service is. He is very handy has a lift and can DIY most jobs.

Originally Posted by SteveKo
WOW.. That is expensive. I watched a UTUBE video on changing front and rear pads on a Q7. Looked really easy.. easy compared to my K2500 Diesel Suburban. Rotors were held on by a bolt and one pin with safety clip to remove the pads. Rears didn't have the electronic brake which I heard you need to get into the computer to retract before servicing. Again, shouldn't be a big deal... but those parts are on the expensive side.. and you have to replace the bolt? How is that a wear item? I just checked Autozone. Nothing listed for a 2019 Q8 but fort a 2018 Q7 they have lifetime replacement pads for $41 and rotors for $71. No clue how they would compare to Audi's pad and rotors BUT these Autozone pads and rotors work fine on my Suburban and Sequoia...

I've been checking around for the best price on a new Q8. 3 dealers said they would throw in the Audi care for free as part of the deal. I agree.. $250 for an oil/filter change seems pretty steep but when you can only get the recommended oil from an Audi dealership they sort of got ya. I plan to have them do the oil changes ONLY and not authorize any other work that will cost me $. I can always decide afterwards if I want them to perform a paid service.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jsf721
Once bolts are torqued to spec and removed they cannot be reused. Per Audi ***

I believe you can retract the e brake with the obdi 11 Maintence app.
My friend does his S7. And he is the one who told me how expensive Audi parts and service is. He is very handy has a lift and can DIY most jobs.
It's good to have friends..!!