AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi Q8 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-q8-227/)
-   -   Audi Phone Box (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-q8-227/audi-phone-box-2962335/)

Ormond00 11-14-2018 02:27 AM

Audi Phone Box

Would anyone be able to provide assistance with locating the FCC ID of the phone box so I can register with my carrier? I have card provided with the serial number.
Thanks for everyones input.

markcincinnati 11-14-2018 10:59 AM

Why do you need to register it?

Ormond00 11-14-2018 01:46 PM

I was told by the dealer that carriers in the US require you to register before you can utilize the amplifier. Are they always on regardless of registering?

Chiclet11 11-14-2018 02:51 PM

I don't know if/why registration is required, but check inside the rear liftgate. While checking out a Q8 at my dealer, I *think* I saw a sticker there that might be what you're looking for.

Ormond00 11-15-2018 01:44 PM

Thank you I'll take a look.

Ormond00 11-18-2018 01:08 PM

So I simply called verizon and were able to log with the serial number audi supplied. Thank you all for the help.

markcincinnati 11-20-2018 07:21 AM

We just laid our iPhone X's (well ONE of them) on the platform and the charging started right up. We registered nothing. I don't know if that means we're criminals or something, but I rather doubt it. AT&T is our carrier.

Cadx6 11-20-2018 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by markcincinnati (Post 25239105)
We just laid our iPhone X's (well ONE of them) on the platform and the charging started right up. We registered nothing. I don't know if that means we're criminals or something, but I rather doubt it. AT&T is our carrier.

From what I understand the “phone box” also incorporates an RF amplifier (signal booster) which increases the output signal of your phone. As long as it’s FCC Type Accepted (which obviously it is) I can’t see why it would require registration with the carrier since I don’t believe it has its own ESN or IMEI. It must be just a generic amplifier since it has to deal with the different protocols from ATT, Verizon, etc.
Of course, not having played with one in person - I could be totally off base :confused:

rjabend 11-21-2018 01:37 AM

I have Verizon and I started using the charger/amplifier on a Q8 over a week ago. I don't believe registration of individual amplifiers is necessary. There are also no labels visible but likely one on the amplifier itself.

markcincinnati 11-21-2018 07:04 AM

The only "registering" we had to do was to change our prepaid subscription from the 2018 SQ5 to the new Q8 (which means 3 months plus our former subscription is now associated with the Q8's receiver.) This process was a bitch. We finally found out (doh!) that it is easier to do this on-line than on the phone. Life goes on, not THAT big of a deal.

The B&O system in the Q8 is much nicer than the Bose system in the 2018 Q7 if you're wondering.

I got a bottle of lens cleaner from LensCrafter and the dealer gave us a soft cloth. Wipe the dash every few days and the thing looks great. Mostly the dash only looks bad when the car is turned off and you can see the finger-prints.

I'm not sure what "amplifying" the phone box does, but anyone who we call never knows we're driving unless we tell them the sound is so clear. Again AT&T and iPhone XS.