Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Audi Phone Box

Old 11-21-2018, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

At least I was sort of right - apparently no RF amplifier - just capacitive connection to an external antenna.

Audi phone box

The Audi phone box with wireless charging connects cell phones to the car antenna wirelessly by near-field coupling.
This allows it to deliver appreciably better reception quality. The box also enables inductive charging based on the Qi standard, provided that the mobile device supports it.
The current flows from a coil in the base of the box to the receiver coil in the smartphone.

Old 04-03-2019, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have a new Q7 and had the same question. I called ATT wireless and they seemed to have no idea what I was talking about....tech support wanted to to call the connected car people to sign up for a data plan which was a completely different topic. Going to just leave well enough alone!
Old 04-03-2019, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rc1991 View Post
I have a new Q7 and had the same question. I called ATT wireless and they seemed to have no idea what I was talking about....tech support wanted to to call the connected car people to sign up for a data plan which was a completely different topic. Going to just leave well enough alone!
It is not very difficult to complete. I just called Audi Connect customer service and they provided me with the serial number, part number and vendor. If you have AT&T, the Audi experience customer rep can register the phone box for you. I have Verizon, and had to call Verizon myself after the representative supplied me with the required information.

By the way, Laird is the manufacturer of the part and the FCC number is RK7MBC-NAR.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by LeicaNut View Post
It is not very difficult to complete. I just called Audi Connect customer service and they provided me with the serial number, part number and vendor. If you have AT&T, the Audi experience customer rep can register the phone box for you. I have Verizon, and had to call Verizon myself after the representative supplied me with the required information.

By the way, Laird is the manufacturer of the part and the FCC number is RK7MBC-NAR.
Thank you! I called and was able to get the serial number and the rep gave me the ATT website to go and register it. Pretty quick and easy!
Old 04-07-2019, 06:20 AM
f10
AudiWorld Member

Thank you! I called and was able to get the serial number and the rep gave me the ATT website to go and register it. Pretty quick and easy!
And that website is?
Old 04-07-2019, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Apologies for this question. I'm so lost.

So I think the aerial antenna portion, based on research, is enabled via NFC. I bought the Phone Box for this function as I don't like wireless charging so have no intent to use the latter. If we don't register, are you saying that the aerial antenna feature doesn't work?
Old 04-07-2019, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by f10 View Post
And that website is?
https://securec45.securewebsession.c...albooster.com/

But you will need to call audi connect to get the serial number if you don't already have it. I had a card with the manufacturer and model number of the phone box already on it and then just wrote down the serial number they gave me and went to the website.
Old 04-07-2019, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

https://securec45.securewebsession.c...albooster.com/

But you will need to call audi connect to get the serial number if you don't already have it. I had a card with the manufacturer and model number of the phone box already on it and then just wrote down the serial number they gave me and went to the website.
Seems like you know a lot about this so will ask you if you don't mind. What happens then for folks not using AT&T for their cell phones? This point is moot, and thus the signal booster capability is useless then I presume?

Thanks
Old 04-07-2019, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by angrypengu View Post
Apologies for this question. I'm so lost.

So I think the aerial antenna portion, based on research, is enabled via NFC. I bought the Phone Box for this function as I don't like wireless charging so have no intent to use the latter. If we don't register, are you saying that the aerial antenna feature doesn't work?
No, the signal booster will work, when you place the phone in the cradle.

You register the signal booster with your wireless carrier as pointed out in the owner’s manual. I have Verizon, and I called Verizon technical service to register the signal booster so I can use my phone with it.

Last edited by LeicaNut; 04-07-2019 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-07-2019, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by angrypengu View Post
Seems like you know a lot about this so will ask you if you don't mind. What happens then for folks not using AT&T for their cell phones? This point is moot, and thus the signal booster capability is useless then I presume?

Thanks
As Leicanut points out it will work with any carrier....I just happened to have AT&T. You do need to call to get the serial number and then call your specific carrier. AT&T just happens to have a website to register but I think you can call as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audi Phone Box

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: