AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi Q8 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-q8-227/)
-   -   Audi Q8 1st Impressions (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-q8-227/audi-q8-1st-impressions-2962038/)

rjabend 11-08-2018 01:05 PM

Audi Q8 1st Impressions

I picked up my 2019 Q8 Prestige on 11/7 after bad experiences with other European cars. I have now had the SUV for two days and put nearly 300 miles on it with the following observations:

- Excellent interior quality and comfort

- With the double pane glass the interior is dead quiet while driving

- Poor documentation requires paging through in-vehicle menus to learn the SUV

o No PDF manual although there is an accessible reader on line

o Functions not very well explained

o I could not find in-vehicle electronic manual access

- Unable to lock or unlock vehicle from MyAudi app; supposedly set-up properly

- Fabulous hi-res displays

- I didn’t like the haptic touch screen feedback at all so I removed it in the settings menu

- 1st vehicle that came with roof racks . . . . . nice touch

- The speed limit sign reader and associated automatic speed limiter work very well

- Displaying selected favorites on the lower display is a nice touch

- The protection package with the rubber mats is really well done

- Driver Assistance package works better than other European vehicles but still has safety issues

o Swerving out of lane to the left or right (mostly at exits)

o Some wandering within the lane

o I keep my hands on the wheel and attention on the road but the system should never take an overt abrupt hazardous action on its own!

o The system is supposed to assist the driver; not the other way around :)

- The cell phone charger, external antenna boost and voice warning when you try to leave the car without your phone are awesome!!

- No need to worry about storage; there is none! :mad:

Ron.S 11-08-2018 06:27 PM

Nice write up! The lane wandering is a surprise. Our 2018 SQ5 can be dangerous at times, thought it would be better on a Level 3 capable self driving car. Maybe when approved and activated for SD3 that will be resolved. I just looked at one today and was very impressed overall. Beautiful and the ergonomics are great. The S Line is beautiful but I thought the entry level was a little cheap looking....those wheels!!! The seamless windows are trick and well designed. Can’t beat Audi handling and Quality. It’s a shame that the Matrix headlights & SD3 are waiting activation.
Same disfunctional tiny cup holders-someone needs to get the Germans to ditch their smokes and start drinking coffee, ha ha. The cargo area is a tad smaller than I expected but maybe there’s more passenger room....
I’m making a sanity check for a few days but think I’ll get a 2020 GLE. There are more options and customization is more robust. Pricing seems better but it’s hard to do a comparison. Both are very nice it’s a tough decision for me. I can still sneak my wife’s car if I need an Audi fix.

SYMAWD 11-08-2018 08:07 PM

With just lane keep assist on, it will wander but in my experience, with adaptive cruise assist, it does not wander.

rjabend 11-09-2018 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by SYMAWD (Post 25234521)
With just lane keep assist on, it will wander but in my experience, with adaptive cruise assist, it does not wander.

Both were on. I never use one without the other. It seems to be a function of how new the lane markings are and how much contrast there is. On a black road with new white markings, there is no wandering at all.

RJC 1 11-15-2018 02:24 PM

My Q7 wanders and luvs to trace the lines on the road getting too close to them...was hoping this was addressed on the 8

rjabend 11-15-2018 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by RJC 1 (Post 25237287)
My Q7 wanders and luvs to trace the lines on the road getting too close to them...was hoping this was addressed on the 8

Me too! I was told by Audi that the Q8 does not swerve off the road; but it does!!

RJC 1 11-15-2018 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by rjabend (Post 25237310)
Me too! I was told by Audi that the Q8 does not swerve off the road; but it does!!

It's most likely another SW issue that needs to be sorted out...Audi has slowly working these out in the Q7 and it appears the q8has the same hardware? More need to report the issue to service for Audi to act quicker. How do you like yours and what did you come out of?

rjabend 11-16-2018 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by RJC 1 (Post 25237369)
It's most likely another SW issue that needs to be sorted out...Audi has slowly working these out in the Q7 and it appears the q8has the same hardware? More need to report the issue to service for Audi to act quicker. How do you like yours and what did you come out of?

Other than the Driver Assistance hazards, it is the nicest car I have owned. My recent vehicles are a Volvo T6 and a Mercedes GLS450.

RJC 1 11-16-2018 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by rjabend (Post 25237463)
Other than the Driver Assistance hazards, it is the nicest car I have owned. My recent vehicles are a Volvo T6 and a Mercedes GLS450.

Glad to hear this...once you drive an Audi it's difficult going back to the other Euro brands...

imdakine1 12-01-2020 10:25 PM

Decided to go back to read this forum as I decide between a Q8, Q7, Mercedes GLE 450, or Porsche Cayenne for towing.

After test driving the 2021 Q8 I was alarmed by the feedback I got from the steering wheel likely do to lane switching etc... It seriously took me by surprise. I’m not sure what package the Q8 had in it...

While I love the overall way it drives and it definitely didn’t feel like an SUV and felt waaaay smaller than the Q7, its a tough decision as one could get a CPO 2018 or 2019 Q8 fully loaded prestige for probably $20,000 leas than the Q8.

Has the safety features in the Q8 been addressed as in theory I get the overall safety it can add but it also feels like it’s doing things as a driver that I likely wouldn’t be doing etc...