Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Audi SQ8 and lambo URUS engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi SQ8 and lambo URUS engine

So my understanding is that in the US, the engines are the same for the SQ8, RSQ8, and Urus. (not the case in Europe where they use a diesel engine for the SQ8). How is it that the same engine can have such different horsepowers? I can sort of understand it with the SQ8 compared to the Urus since maybe the Urus is lighter or has other modifications. But what's more confusing is the Sq8 to the RSq8 which is pretty much identical in body and weight and parts. I'm guessing its all in the 'programming' of the engine..and if so, does that mean I can "re-program" and SQ8 to be just as powerful as and RSQ8 or Urus?
Old 08-15-2020, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by poppers1
So my understanding is that in the US, the engines are the same for the SQ8, RSQ8, and Urus. (not the case in Europe where they use a diesel engine for the SQ8). How is it that the same engine can have such different horsepowers? I can sort of understand it with the SQ8 compared to the Urus since maybe the Urus is lighter or has other modifications. But what's more confusing is the Sq8 to the RSq8 which is pretty much identical in body and weight and parts. I'm guessing its all in the 'programming' of the engine..and if so, does that mean I can "re-program" and SQ8 to be just as powerful as and RSQ8 or Urus?
I would imagine different internal parts on the Urus that can handle the higher HP. Also bigger turbos, bigger intercoolers and different MAPs.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yep, agressively re-Mapping the ECU can give huge performance boost. That'll give you stage 1 upgrade. To get to the RSQ8 level of performance one would have to get stage2/3 upgrades (as mentioned above: new intercoolers, turbos).
Old 09-09-2020, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 792 Likes on 606 Posts

Based on my experience from my last 4 Audis you can safety increase the power up to +15% without any "hardware" changes as turbo, intercoolers, etc. It could be done only by re-Mapping of car ECU or by stand alone piggyback. To be safer it should be done by experienced in VAG cars tuner as ABT which in many countries is accepted by Audi.
Of course there is always a risk of voided warranty.
Old 09-09-2020, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

According to https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud.../#post25490250, there are some differences in parts between the SQ8 and the RSQ8. The SQ8 shares the same turbocharger part # as the V8 Bentayga, while the RS Q8 shares the same turbocharger part # as the Urus. What differences does this make in real life? Who knows.
Old 09-10-2020, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
Based on my experience from my last 4 Audis you can safety increase the power up to +15% without any "hardware" changes as turbo, intercoolers, etc. It could be done only by re-Mapping of car ECU or by stand alone piggyback. To be safer it should be done by experienced in VAG cars tuner as ABT which in many countries is accepted by Audi.
Of course there is always a risk of voided warranty.
My only experience with VW tuning was a Mk7 GTI, I only went to stage one so I never had any issues. A simple piggyback tune is safe and easy to do. On my GT-R I have gone to Stage III and Flex Fuel and I have had some issues with codes from time to time. Everything you do to a car has consequences; add cold air intakes and you need bigger injectors and maybe sport catted downpipes to get that extra air through the engine, if you do not make the right changes you might start getting Mixture Too Lean fault codes for example. If you install sport catted downpipes you might start getting codes for the exhaust mixture, then you have to install mini cats or spacers on the O2 sensors as I have had to do to pass emissions testing.

In my experience it is best to buy a complete tuning package that has already been sorted out by professionals who will stand by it. Custom tuning and parts like upgraded injectors, turbos, intakes, downpipes, exhaust, etc.. can get really expensive, then there is the labor to install it all. I think it might be more cost effective to buy a RSQ8 rather than try to make an SQ8 into and RSQ8. With an ABT piggyback tune you can give the Q8 SQ8 power and not have to change any hardware. A simple piggyback tune, Akrapovic Ti exhaust and BMC high flow filter might give you more power and a better sound without all the hassles and warranty issues.
Old 09-10-2020, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 792 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon900
My only experience with VW tuning was a Mk7 GTI, I only went to stage one so I never had any issues. A simple piggyback tune is safe and easy to do. On my GT-R I have gone to Stage III and Flex Fuel and I have had some issues with codes from time to time. Everything you do to a car has consequences; add cold air intakes and you need bigger injectors and maybe sport catted downpipes to get that extra air through the engine, if you do not make the right changes you might start getting Mixture Too Lean fault codes for example. If you install sport catted downpipes you might start getting codes for the exhaust mixture, then you have to install mini cats or spacers on the O2 sensors as I have had to do to pass emissions testing.

In my experience it is best to buy a complete tuning package that has already been sorted out by professionals who will stand by it. Custom tuning and parts like upgraded injectors, turbos, intakes, downpipes, exhaust, etc.. can get really expensive, then there is the labor to install it all. I think it might be more cost effective to buy a RSQ8 rather than try to make an SQ8 into and RSQ8. With an ABT piggyback tune you can give the Q8 SQ8 power and not have to change any hardware. A simple piggyback tune, Akrapovic Ti exhaust and BMC high flow filter might give you more power and a better sound without all the hassles and warranty issues.
If I may, my 2 cents:
As I mentioned before, I tuned my last 4 Audis including the current SQ8 (TDI). First was MTM last 3 is ABT. Both tuners are specialized in VAG cars, especially ABT which works for years in close cooperation with Audi and is even installed by Audi dealers in many countries. I always do a dyno before and after to know the real increase of power and torque.
Both MTM and ABT are probably the most expensive on the market but both are the most reputable and reliable among other Audi tuners. In fact this what is offered by them is much more than a simple piggyback. In fact this is an additional computer which replaces original car ECU under certain conditions.
More you can find here:
https://autofidelity.com.au/performance-tuning-abt/
I am not a fan of mechanical tuning in the current , loaded with tons of electronics cars. It is expensive, risky, could create many errors in car software and on 100% voids the warranty. Re-maping is safer. Every car has up to 20% safe reserve of strength of mechanical elements so such a re-map should be safe if you don't overdo the tune, keep the certain regime in oil replacements, use good quality petrol and don't drive always as on the race track. In Europe the results could be even more impressive as there is 98 and even 100 octane gasoline available in majority of gas stations.
I have also mix feelings about BMC and K&N filters. In turbo engines they don't bring a visible engine performance increase (checked in dyno tests) and as so-called "wet filters" could contaminate air intake sensors with traces of oil.
Akrapovic is OK, very impressive sound and look but crazy price and modest increase of power and torque. As they claim +9,4PS and + 17,2Nm. For 600PS RSQ8 not too much - probably even not noticable.
Yes, if I would have to spend so much on ABT and Akrapovic, I would probably consider RSQ8 or Urus.

Last edited by retom; 09-10-2020 at 02:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bzmmzmdjs (09-11-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

640hp 694lbs tq with their ECU and TCU upgrade, too good to be true?
View this post on Instagram
Old 09-21-2020, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That’s close to +30%...might be too aggressive if true.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:59 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by my818
640hp 694lbs tq with their ECU and TCU upgrade, too good to be true?
https://www.instagram.com/p/CFAD2olFf1m/
Run as far away as you can from that company. They used to be Singh Autosport.

This is by far the least recognizable name on this list thus far and it should stay that way. This is the tuner that advertises by claiming to be the world's number 1 tuner. If you have to tell people you are number 1 you probably aren't number 1.

This 'Group' has undergone several name changes. It originally was known as Singh Autosport and owned by a man named Jags Gill. Feel free to decide for yourself if this sounds like something the 'Number 1 ECU tuner' in the world would be up to: http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...ure-of-package

"A FedEx package passing through Memphis from England two years ago raised the curiosity of security agents who noticed the sender had spent more than $400 to ship stereo speakers he valued at $281.

Now federal prosecutors in Memphis, suspecting a money-smuggling operation, have filed a forfeiture petition seeking to seize the $274,912 in dollars and British pounds they found hidden inside the two Sony speakers.

The money and speakers sent from a "Mr. J. Gill" of Middlesex, England, was headed for Singh Autosport, a company in Fremont, Calif., that does not exist, according to state business records there.

Also, although the contents were marked as "Sony accoustic speakers Ebay buyer," U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents and eBay investigators determined that no one had purchased the speakers through the online shopping Web site.

A man identifying himself as "Jags Gill" began calling for the package, but could not provide serial numbers for the speakers. He later provided model numbers and dimensions for the speaker.

Meanwhile, a month later in November 2006, authorities in Louisville, Ky., seized $231,891 in British pounds hidden in a table top at the UPS International Air Hub.
The money was connected to a "Jaspal Gill" in London and is the object of a separate forfeiture action."

Perhaps they mean number one in money laundering? Either way, there are better options out there than somebody that is just reselling tunes from European sources anyway.

https://www.porscheboost.com/content...errated-tuners

Quick Reply: Audi SQ8 and lambo URUS engine