AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi Q8 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-q8-227/)
-   -   Bikes in the back of the SQ8? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-q8-227/bikes-back-sq8-3011268/)

drvai 01-24-2021 08:59 AM

Bikes in the back of the SQ8?

I wonder if anyone has tried to fit two bikes in the back and if they fit (rear seats down).
I guess the option is using an external rack but is a pain to install and uninstall every time. Easier to just put the bikes on the back.

gregtay 01-24-2021 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by drvai (Post 25543506)
I wonder if anyone has tried to fit two bikes in the back and if they fit (rear seats down).
I guess the option is using an external rack but is a pain to install and uninstall every time. Easier to just put the bikes on the back.

I highly doubt it would be easy to get two road Mike's back there. Maybe if you remove both front front back wheels and pad everything. Just get a 1Up hitch rack, takes 30 seconds to install and remove. Worth every penny.

dmanders 01-24-2021 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by gregtay (Post 25543535)
I highly doubt it would be easy to get two road Mike's back there. Maybe if you remove both front front back wheels and pad everything. Just get a 1Up hitch rack, takes 30 seconds to install and remove. Worth every penny.

Actually two in back is easy but you do have to pad between and around to save them and the interior. I second the recommendation on the 1Up hitch rack however. That is what I do and I even leave mine on my Q8. It is indeed worth every penny.

Mattman928 01-25-2021 05:24 AM

I didn't even try to get bikes in the back. I installed a hitch rack. It's an older Yakima, but it's design allows the truck to open and close with the rack installed, so I just leave the rack on the car.

gregtay 01-25-2021 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mattman928 (Post 25543908)
I didn't even try to get bikes in the back. I installed a hitch rack. It's an older Yakima, but it's design allows the truck to open and close with the rack installed, so I just leave the rack on the car.

You can leave a 1UP in single bike config mounted to the hitch in "stored" mode and you don't even need to touch it to open the hatch. Most of the time I just use my rack in single bike mode, is super light, installs quick, and stays out of the way. I have two additional racks that each install in about 30 seconds, so I can go from single bike to three bike mode in about 1 min. (once my 6yo starts riding a bigger bike I am sure i will end up with another rack for a total of 4.) The 1Up is a game changer for those who hull their bikes around and don't want some huge thing back there all the time.

jcitriniti 01-25-2021 08:09 AM

I agree you can fit 2 road bikes in the back, rear seats down and front tires removed, but they will be lying on top of one another. I also agree hitch mount bike racks are the way to go if you have the hitch option. I bought a Kuat Sherpa which is super easy to install and remove (30 seconds max) if you don't want to leave it on all the time but it also can be left on and the back hatch can be opened without a problem.